Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:58 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Was it inappropriate? Well, it depends in part on how you handled the call. Did you tell him right away you're married and have kids and a happy marriage and family life? That would have sent a clear signal. If you did do that, what was his response?

Of course he has an agenda for contacting you out of the blue after 12+ years, hoping to see you at the class reunion. BTW, did you find out if he was married or single or divorced? If he was single or divorced, did your husband know that, before he said the conversation was inappropriate?

Lots of blanks to fill in, here, before we can accurately size up the situation.

Oh, and add to the list of questions: ARE you planning to go to the reunion? Were you planning not to attend, but changed your mind? Or did you say you won't be attending, it was great catching up on news with him, and express best wishes for a nice life?

WAY more info needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 09:01 AM

2,975 posts, read 1,644,194 times
The language you use to describe this old beau sounds gushing bordering on romantic.

Seven years is a long time, what caused the relationship to end?

HS reunions are often events where old flames reconnect and rekindle old feelings.

Watch your step, you have three small children who need a stable intact family life.

Your husband picked up on something regarding that phone conversation.

He's not the problem.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:22 AM

7,922 posts, read 3,462,774 times
Why would you talk to someone on the phone for 45 minutes in the same room where other people are doing things? Talk in private, tell him about it later, it won't seem like such a big deal.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:37 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times
The key thing to remember here is...

How would you feel if he (your husband) had done what you did? If his old ex girlfriend that he dated for years (in the past) had called out of the blue, and he spoke with her for 45 minutes... Would you care? Would you not be happy? Would you be a little irritated? Would you be seeing red?

Be honest now...

I think you may not be hugely upset, but I suspect that you probably would not like it. And, you would likely voice your displeasure about it after he got off the call.

Be honest...

If I were your husband, I don't think I would have liked it...

Old 04-16-2021, 09:43 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I think at this point I would focus more on trying to comfort your husband, not yourself.

You don't win this by making him wrong. You win this by making him feel secure in you and your relationship.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
And BTW... I *get* wanting to talk to the ex, just out of curiosity. I'd want to catch up on any news too. I'd probably have done the same thing, though my husband would likely have heard the whole conversation on speaker. That's just how I usually talk on the phone, and might have been a better tactic here.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-16-2021 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-16-2021, 09:58 AM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
How is the state of your marriage? Are you happy and content? Is your husband normally jealous or is this unusual behavior for him?

You said the reunion "was" to take place in a few days. Has it been cancelled due to Covid or is it still taking place? Or, did this event happen on the past and you are just throwing it out for conversation?

Without knowing you or your husband it is impossible to tell if this is a problem in the making or not. Being curious about an old boyfriend (or other old friends and acquaintances) is normal.

Not knowing your ex-bf it's impossible to tell if he had an agenda. Even if he doesn't he could still be wishing the two of you had stayed together. He could just be nosy. He could be hoping to show off his accomplishments since school days. People are complicated - there can be many reasons.

Unless your husband is always jealous, which would be tedious, you do need to take his feelings into consideration and ask yourself why he is feeling insecure. His feelings are valid even if there is absolutely nothing for him to be concerned about.

You didn't mention whether or not he was going to the reunion with you. It very well could be boring for him, but maybe it would make him feel better than staying home with the kids.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:22 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
I think this is a normal thing to do, and it sounds innocent to me. You were a part of each other's lives for a long time, and no doubt there is curiosity - and maybe a bit of nostalgia. It doesn't even matter if he has ulterior motives (which seems ridiculous because he doesn't even know what you look like now), because YOU can always shut him down if he becomes inappropriate. I think your husband is experiencing unfounded jealousy, and the call started him wondering how he compares to your ex - basically, it's insecurity. Be nice to him, reassure him, and don't dismiss his concerns even if they are totally wrong.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:38 AM

2,002 posts, read 761,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
It doesn't even matter if he has ulterior motives (which seems ridiculous because he doesn't even know what you look like now), because YOU can always shut him down if he becomes inappropriate. I think your husband is experiencing unfounded jealousy, and the call started him wondering how he compares to your ex - basically, it's insecurity. Be nice to him, reassure him, and don't dismiss his concerns even if they are totally wrong.
This is a ridiculous take. This isn’t some old buddy from the high school band. A seven year sexual relationship. The husbands just smart, and knows how this works, we’ve all seen it too many times.

And then to tell her husband this “ I also told my husband that I had no feelings whatsoever for my ex-boyfriend, and that we were just friends.” Such an odd thing to say to your husband in this situation. I wouldn’t classify someone I haven’t talked to in 12 years as just friends. I would say we are nothing.

My guess is she is being half truthful in her posts.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:53 AM

602 posts, read 313,600 times
Why does your first love after all these years care if you're going to the class reunion ?

And if you haven't had any contact with him for 12 years why would you tell your husband " We're just friends" ?

Last edited by Mr B Kind; 04-16-2021 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships