Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:11 PM

91 posts, read 57,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
This isn't how things work. Unless you have a signed pre-nup that specifically takes all ownership rites away from your wife, you don't actually own anything. In some situations, she could even get a restraining order and legally force you to leave the house. Your name being on the title really doesn't mean diddly squat.

You know how in society men usually make more money and have more advantages in life than women do? Well, divorces are where things start to even out for them. I think this is what's called "equality".

Anyways, good luck!
That's right. OP, your name on the deed essentially means nothing. That you purchased it before your marriage might help you in the divorce proceedings depending on which state you live in. At this point though, that isn't going to mean anything. It's a marital home, it's no more "yours" than it is hers.

I'm not an attorney, but to answer your specific question, you would likely have every right to entertain guests in your home without your wife's approval. That being said(as others have mentioned), I strongly advise against doing so. This would only escalate an already acrimonious situation. Don't poke rattlesnakes, brother. Make other arrangements or just bide your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 10:00 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Legality is one thing, but do you really want them to stay under the same roof with your hating spouse? It won't be a an enjoyable visit...
I wouldn't put my parents through that.

"Can she do something assuming my parents do show up and I insist they are staying?"
Yes! She can make their visit feel like hell.

I agree. Don't even put your parents through that misery of hell. Have them stay in a hotel & visit w/ them over there. Split the hotel cost w/ them or something. I'm positive it will be a LOT more pleasant, relaxing, & calm. You think THEY'D want to spend any time w/ your b---- of a wife either?! Hell no.

I personally would be more cautious re: COVID anyway, whether they're vaccinated or not, so all the better for a hotel for them.

And regarding, "can she do something?" Oh heck yes, she could do all kinds of vindictive, vile things if she really wants to from putting something in their food to calling the cops for what she'll call "trespassing". And before you say, "Oh she'd never go that far..." there's always a first time for everything. I sure in heck wouldn't want to put my parents in harm's way!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 05-04-2021 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-04-2021, 10:34 AM

314 posts, read 255,953 times
You're still planning on living together come summer? How about one of you moves out? Problem solved.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:33 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
You're still planning on living together come summer? How about one of you moves out? Problem solved.
Don't move out. Stay in the house unless you are forced by court order to leave. Being in the house strengthens your ownership argument.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:09 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Don't move out. Stay in the house unless you are forced by court order to leave. Being in the house strengthens your ownership argument.
This is probably why both are still there.

I'm not a lawyer and am just trying to play this out: the parents show up at the door with suitcases and the guy allows them into the house. The wife calls the police. They will say it is a civil matter and leave. You cannot tell someone that they cannot have guests in their own home.

Then the wife will probably make it her business to make the visit hellish. I wouldn't put my parents in that situation. Have you told them that this is what she has said? If you do, they would probably say they will stay in a hotel. Why put yourself through that? Just book a hotel room.

I can get that the OP may not want to do that because the wife will feel like she "won" and he doesn't want that but it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:54 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Get two hotel rooms so you can get out of a miserable situation for a few days

Old 05-07-2021, 04:59 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
If you live and sleep in the same house, you are not separated.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:58 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Buy your spouse a hotel room for those nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships