Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:42 PM

737 posts, read 454,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstead245 View Post
When I was younger and naive I believed in the idea that you will eventually find your soul mate get married have kids and its happily ever after. Now from my own experiences with women and hearing about people's stories and experiences, the news etc. I am starting to not believe it anymore. I am starting to get a very negative view of women in the dating realm especially in the western world.

You hear comedians joke about marriage and there is so much material from various comedians and everyone in the audience laughs. Alot of jokes have underlying truths to it. There is a statistic that says women initiates 70 percent of divorces compared to men and there is a 50 percent divorce rate in America. You can look it up. A 50/50 shot for a successful marriage or get your life and hard work taken away from you in divorce court is not good. You hear on the media and some relatives and some of my personal friends/coworkers getting destroyed in divorce. One coworker I know he works nonstop to pay while his ex wife doesn't even work and collects his money. Another coworker his wife left him and their kids she moved to a different state figured that life was much harder as she had no practical skill and decided to get back with him. Him and his kids are bitter cause of it. He is a good working man too. Its disgusting. I hear divorce lawyer who has lots of experience saying don't get married. To top it all off I find that Bill Gates and Melinda Gates are getting divorce. To me I thought they were the perfect couple Bill Gates is a multi billionaire most successful guy in the world, raised 3 healthy young and intelligent children, and they still get a divorce. There is an interview she did where she was envious of his fame saying ""If people would talk to me, they would find out I'm smart and not just pretty." A billionaire lifestyle was not enough she wanted the fame too and her ego thinking she is pretty lol. She was just a manager before she met him. I wonder who initiated it is my curiosity.

Makes me believe women just have a very unrealistic expectations from men. I know alot of guys don't need much to be happy. This is only added with the commercialization of online dating. A women can just go online and choose from a bunch of guys and you will see they want a guy who is tall, handsome, good social status, makes alot of money, etc.... There is experiments done where a guy adds that his occupation is a doctor and he gets a ton of matches compared to just putting that he has a normal job without much physical changes. I have seen a girl who was not remotely interested in my friend before until he mentioned he was in medical school and her eyes lit up. She started giving him much more attention when before she was blowing him off. This happened in my personal experience too when I got a bit more attention from women after I got a higher status job. This goes back to media too. The prince charming essentially rescues cinderella but you will never see that the other way around. I rarely if ever see a successful women marry a poor man. It is usually the other way around. I don't know I am getting negative thoughts and the Bill Gates and Melinda Gates further added to the fuel.
With this mindset, I agree that you shouldn’t get married. I think the reason 70% of divorce are initiated by women because most women pull more weight in the marriage than men do. People who have a happy, long lasting marriage were married for the right reasons to start, and both continue to commit and put in the time and effort to make it work.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:45 PM

98 posts, read 81,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
With this mindset, I agree that you shouldn’t get married. I think the reason 70% of divorce are initiated by women because most women pull more weight in the marriage than men do. People who have a happy, long lasting marriage were married for the right reasons to start, and both continue to commit and put in the time and effort to make it work.
thats alot of assumptions you are making

Old 05-04-2021, 12:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,239,243 times
The OP seems to be making a lot of assumptions about this divorce announcement and this couple. Maybe he wanted out, maybe they decided that they were no longer compatible who knows. The OP seems to want to blame one party and not the other here without any facts to back it up, even criticizing Melinda for wanting to be known as an individual and not just a billionaires wife.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:02 PM

298 posts, read 117,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The OP seems to be making a lot of assumptions about this divorce announcement and this couple. Maybe he wanted out, maybe they decided that they were no longer compatible who knows. The OP seems to want to blame one party and not the other here without any facts to back it up, even criticizing Melinda for wanting to be known as an individual and not just a billionaires wife.
She will likely be getting billions of dollars that she didn't earn in a divorce settlement (like Jeff Bezos's wife). I'm sure it will be very easy for her to be known as an individual in this situation.

Given the statistics cited (70% of women initiate the divorce) and the secondary gain involved for Melinda, it's simply more likely that she was one behind the divorce.

I think that OP's conclusions are plausible.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:09 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstead245 View Post
When I was younger and naive I believed in the idea that ...
Marriage is a legal contract, governed by statute, between two people agreeing to share assets by some proportion (i.e. partnership).

Period.

The two people also have legal obligations if they are parents/guardians of children.

Period.

Anything else is merely an idea, fluff, fantasy.

Do not get married unless your main intention is to enter into a legal contract to share assets by some proportion, and possibly share legal responsibility for children.

Save any other notion for a dime novel, because that's what it's worth.

Yes, one could get lucky and live a fantasy, maybe a 2-in-10 chance of success at best.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2021, 01:13 PM

298 posts, read 117,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Marriage is a legal contract, governed by statute, between two people agreeing to share assets by some proportion (i.e. partnership).

Period.

The two people also have legal obligations if they are parents/guardians of children.

Period.

Anything else is merely an idea, fluff, fantasy.

Do not get married unless your main intention is to enter into a legal contract to share assets by some proportion, and possibly share legal responsibility for children.

Save any other notion for a dime novel, because that's what it's worth.

Yes, one could get lucky and live a fantasy, maybe a 2-in-10 chance of success at best.

Good Luck!
It's a legal contract that can be broken by any party at any time for any reason. Therefore, it is not an actual contract in the truest sense of the the term and is subject to manipulation and fraud. This is why no-fault divorce has made marriage in the US a very bad idea (especially if one of the spouses earns significantly more money than the other).

Old 05-04-2021, 01:16 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,725,824 times
You know, I've got something ironic floating around in my mind...

So most divorces are initiated by women (we've discussed how that statistic just means she did the filing, but hey whatever)... And most divorced women that I know, I can tell you, feel great about getting out of the marriage. I know a woman who changed her last name to "Free" after her divorce. It's like having a new lease on life.

I know a lot of middle aged women who are very happy single. Some of them would not turn down Mr. Perfect if he showed up, but they are not grumpy about being alone. They do fun things with friends, they live happy lives.

And yet men who would agree with these things yet call them different names, like women being too picky or deluded or whatever it is....seem to also be saying a lot of the time that marriage is just a terrible thing FOR THE MAN.

Sure seems to me like men are the ones wanting it and mad they can't get it and keep it. And it seems to me like it isn't the man for whom marriage is such a terrible idea...it's the woman...at least if stats and anecdotes line up to say the same thing, that she's happier when she's left one.

Oh wait. It's not MARRIAGE that is bad for men. It's DIVORCE.

Honestly all this hypergamy talk that guys get up to... I mean, marriage as it has stood seems a bad deal for women, some men don't want to do anything to change this, and they're big mad that women leave when we're not happy. It is not "realistic" for our expectations to be met? Hm. Sounds more like ya'll don't want to try. It IS possible, you know...happy marriages, and long lasting ones, do exist. I guarantee that the reason they exist is not because the woman was shackled in place unable to leave, or prevented from knowing of the existence of other men, or humbled in her place...more like, two people felt some degree of commitment to one another's happiness. The Mister in those matches, probably ain't no slouch.

Women tell you and tell you what makes us feel unhappy and unfulfilled in marriages. But hey, no, ya'll figure you know better. OK. I guess time will tell how all that works out for ya.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:26 PM

602 posts, read 315,784 times
[quote=SomeAZguy;60969778]She will likely be getting billions of dollars that she didn't earn in a divorce settlement (like Jeff Bezos's wife).

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...f-bezos-2019-1

Old 05-04-2021, 01:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,239,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
She will likely be getting billions of dollars that she didn't earn in a divorce settlement (like Jeff Bezos's wife). I'm sure it will be very easy for her to be known as an individual in this situation.

Given the statistics cited (70% of women initiate the divorce) and the secondary gain involved for Melinda, it's simply more likely that she was one behind the divorce.

I think that OP's conclusions are plausible.
Yeah, sure it's all her fault and she is nothing but a gold digger with a long game.

It's always the womans fault, the man can do no wrong even when they have stated as a couple that they have been working on their relationship and have decided to divorce and they have filed their own separation contract with the court on how the families assets and debts are to be split.

Maybe they just don't work as a couple anymore and want to go forward with their lives.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:32 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,151,599 times
Here’s how I see it. I’ve watched a few shows about the Gates and what they’re up to and how they met, etc.

Melinda seems just as pragmatic as Bill. I think they both are dedicated to the Foundation, and will continue to be. I doubt there will be any contentiousness in dividing the money...one billion, or two billion...whats the difference? I think they both will want the money to go to the foundation.

Their children are launched. I do not believe they intend to leave the children money. They gave them an education and advantages, so they can be successful on their own.

Melinda said that she had her children 3 years apart, because statistically that is the healthiest spacing between children for the mother. She is extremely dedicated to maternal health, and family planning in third world countries. This is her focus. Bill is into other things, like clean nuclear power. I think they just want to go their separate ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships