Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of guys today have no issue being a stay at home dad. If one spouse can make enough for your needs and the other can take care of all the other things that pile up then that can make life quite good for the family unit.

Bottom line, I work in a field with a lot of women...and it pays well....stay at home dad's are not that rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Ummm....I'm new to CD....what is a moon?
There are at least three members here whose usernames start with "moon".

Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I think this topic came up a few months ago... but I don't mind answering again.

My lady and I are both white-collar professionals; she just happens to make 50% more than I do. That may be partly because she's more than a few years older than me - and thus, further along in her career - but it's not a problem for either of us. I admit that if we were close to the same age, I might feel a little funnier about it; I still would not bemoan other couples for making that choice though. We contribute to our bills in an amount roughly equal to our proportionate salaries... and I'm more eager to tackle some chores (e.g. laundry, vacuuming) than she is. So it works out well for both of us.

As I became less enamored by the day with my current career , I've considered taking some time off to work on some projects, some of which might turn into new career opportunities. My lady is supportive while acknowledging some belt-tightening. I already have the funds saved up to support my share of the household for about a year. I'd restrict my poolside bon-bon eating for the weekends.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
My wife has her masters in education. I graduated high school by the skin of my teeth and went to trade school. I make a good living in HVAC work but when my wife was working full time she made more than me. We've been married for 31 years. guess it can work .

Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,267 times
What if you are more educated but make less money? Any difference then?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
We contribute to our bills in an amount roughly equal to our proportionate salaries...

I already have the funds saved up to support my share of the household for about a year.
I've been wrong before, but this sounds like business partners and not spouses to me.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
My current GF makes about twice as much money as I do and I have dated woman in the past who made significantly more money then I. For the most part, aside from a few instances where my pride got in the way, I did not have a problem with it.

As for intelligence, I 'require' that the woman at the very least be as intelligent as I, but if she has more brains, then that is cool too. Smart woman tend to make decisions on their own and are usually less clingy.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:56 PM

486 posts, read 982,216 times
Default Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
I am almost finished with my MD training. In the past when I have dated men who made less $$ than what I will eventually make-it was always them that had the issue with my future salary. I never think about it much and don't see what the issue is (especially since at present, I am broke as a joke)-but maybe I am being naive.

What are your thoughts and if you could share personal experience or examples of how people have made it work that would be great.

Men, if you can tell me what the issue is and if/how it can be resolved that would be great too. I am a very down to earth person and hardly talk about work outside of work and I don't belittle people just because they haven't chosen, or had the opportunity, to do what I do--or something that "society" would consider to be "equivalent". Maybe I still am naive in thinking that as long as 2 people love one another it shouldn't matter.
Letitgo, I have yet to meet an eligible bachelor that makes more money than me. My experience has been mixed, for the most it hasn't mattered. Only one guy really stands out, that had a major problem with it. I think that he was just insecure with himself. Needless, to say I moved on. The guy I am currently dating does not make nearly as much as me. Though he brings less cash to the table, he still has a lot to offer and I am happy. So there is hope. Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM

30 posts, read 83,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
What if you are more educated but make less money? Any difference then?
In my experience, people tend to have more issues with the amount of $$ their SO makes, but I agree that sometimes people can feel intimidated by education as well.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:40 PM

180 posts, read 408,966 times
my wife just finished her master's degree and makes about $30,000 more a year than i do. I have an associate's degree and never really applied myself to do anything more to succeed.

it may have been different if i met her in this position but when we met it was pretty much even but as of right now, i have no objections or problems with her being more educated or making more than i do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships