Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 04:08 AM

760 posts, read 421,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyxo View Post
Talking to a 36yo old man who works as a karate instructor but has a degree.
The other night he begged me not to get the second dose of the pfizer vaccine (I am autoimmune and at risk of Covid) because it was harmful. I understand people who are vaccine hesitant...but he also said Covid does not exist - people are presenting with symptoms that they are calling 'Covid.' He also has other bizarre views - aliens, new world order, the government plotting against us (we live in Australia), capitalism (we should be free to do what we want instead of working), encouraging anarchist ways of living, etc. On facebook, he posts a lot of rants about these things and when he provides a source, it is a study done by ONE person or dodgy looking news site, etc. The people on his facebook seem to find him annoying - often telling him to 'find a real job' and stop being a keyboard warrior.

I respect differnces of opinion - but can a relationship with someone like this ever work? Especially when you think differently, and your peer group (friends, family) hold similar beliefs to you?

I keep having images of introducing him to my family and my parents being like, congratulations, you have found yourself an idiot.

At the same time, he is a nice guy and we have good chemistry.

What has been your experience dating people who hold conspirational beliefs?

Why would you want to spend time with someone who is mentally ill?

My experience? None. I don't date people who believe in Aliens from Outer Space. I don't date people who are religious. I don't believe in people who have anything to do with conspiracies. stop wasting your time with this guy and go meet healthy men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 04:11 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Anyone who "posts a lot of rants" on any topic is probably ranting offline as well. That's self centered and it seems he is only interested in having an audience. How exhausting would that be?

Old 09-06-2021, 04:32 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
Talking to a 36yo old man who works as a karate instructor but has a degree.
The other night he begged me not to get the second dose of the pfizer vaccine (I am autoimmune and at risk of Covid) because it was harmful. I understand people who are vaccine hesitant...but he also said Covid does not exist - people are presenting with symptoms that they are calling 'Covid.' He also has other bizarre views - aliens, new world order, the government plotting against us (we live in Australia), capitalism (we should be free to do what we want instead of working), encouraging anarchist ways of living, etc. On facebook, he posts a lot of rants about these things and when he provides a source, it is a study done by ONE person or dodgy looking news site, etc. The people on his facebook seem to find him annoying - often telling him to 'find a real job' and stop being a keyboard warrior.

I respect differnces of opinion - but can a relationship with someone like this ever work? Especially when you think differently, and your peer group (friends, family) hold similar beliefs to you?

I keep having images of introducing him to my family and my parents being like, congratulations, you have found yourself an idiot.

This is interesting....when just after the CDC saying "Okay, the vaccinated can stop wearing masks now!" I met with this woman for coffee.

Had an awesome chat...then she talked about how she's a conspiracy theorist. (Wow, she admits to this?) She's a holistic person, does massage. (LMT). I kind of blew it off, because we didn't talk much about Covid on our coffee date.

We planned our 2nd get together and that's when the CDC said, "Okay people, vaccinated or not, put that mask back on!" I mentioned this to her and she goes, "Oh we better cancel, because I'm not vaccinated...don't want to kills someone" and I said, "You can always wear a mask" and we got into this back and forth about masks not working, and that the hospitals aren't REALLY at capacity.

Kind had to end things there...sad...that we hit it off if we just didn't talka bout Covid. She said she actually avoids talkinga bout it as a subject, because that's ALL WE SEE these days.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:35 AM

760 posts, read 421,396 times
Yes, yes, get fully vaccinated and use a mask, turns out that the woman you went out on a coffee date with despite her conspiracy nature, knows what she is talking about, and actually cares about the well-being of other people, by not wanting to go a on date before she gets fully vaccinated.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:09 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Just change the subject when he talks about conspiracy theories and when he does don't say anything. If you get the vaccine don't tell him. I have friends that have conspiracy theories such as covid is fake and the vaccines cause more harm than good, like that and when the subject comes up I try to change the topic or ignore the topic. If they send me conspiracy links I just ignore it.
Maintaining with a 'friend' is far different than actively pursuing an actual relationship... No way would i continue with this guy.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:18 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:

You need to decide if you want good sex or a companion with common sense. Because, you know, there is life after sex.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
I would stop talking to him.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:44 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
If someone tells you NOT to take care of your health by getting a second vaccination, then that person is more interested in his point of view than your well-being. He’s selfish.

Do you really want a partner like that?

Old 09-06-2021, 06:46 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
If you have to ask.............................

Old 09-06-2021, 07:48 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,102 times
Quote:
...but he also said Covid does not exist - people are presenting with symptoms that they are calling 'Covid.' He also has other bizarre views - aliens, new world order, the government plotting against us (we live in Australia), capitalism (we should be free to do what we want instead of working), encouraging anarchist ways of living, etc. On facebook, he posts a lot of rants about these things and when he provides a source, it is a study done by ONE person or dodgy looking news site, etc. The people on his facebook seem to find him annoying - often telling him to 'find a real job' and stop being a keyboard warrior.

My experience has been a nightmare. One of the very few relationships I’ve been in - one was with a man who had all these wacked-out conspiracy beliefs and was in a cult. I went along with it because I don’t really attract men, so I figured “Well, something is better than nothing. At least I’ll have a boyfriend.” And I was young and was going through my own mild conspiracy theory phase (but absolutely nothing like his views).

Ultimately, it was too much. I was embarrassed when he would meet friends and family members and talk his talk. My father was worried absolutely sick - he had heard of the cult, and apparently they had done some bad things. He was worried I was going to join. The guy didn’t like me to do certain things that didn’t align with his beliefs - so there became an element of control. Kind of like your guy, he did more ranting than anything else (like pursuing meaningful work, education, or starting a business). I even lost money dealing with him, as he borrowed a large sum and never paid me back. I was in college, so this made things much harder.

He eventually dumped me because I wouldn’t adopt his beliefs or join his cult.

I realize now that I had no business dating him at all, and it was just a symptom of desperation to have a man. But ultimately it didn’t serve me. It was really harmful in many ways, and I definitely regret it. I understand why I did it; I wanted a boyfriend like everyone else. But at the same time, I look back at my young self and shake my head with disgust.

If I ever find anyone to date again, we must have aligned values and beliefs. Also, a believer in science and reputable sources is an absolute must!

Last edited by Special_Guest; 09-06-2021 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships