Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

any woman with a 6 figure income and a career so bright she has got to wear shades is not drooling in the aisle looking at a marriage magazine. marriage (and divorce) is one way for a woman of limited ability to move on up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:22 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I'm married and I still buy wedding magazines and books!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
It's all about marketing .. well, for the most part - the other part is sociological/anthropological/societal, etc. which is another topic all together. Stop and think who spends the most money? Not the guys.. it's the women who spend more. Then you have the heavy influence from the media and TV realty shows.

I had really hoped that by now, women would have progressed beyond all this - in some sense they are worse. I am a women BTW.
Another failure of the women's movement. Marketing is really THE most important social movement of the last half century and women have really only made "gains" where their interests weren't in conflict.

Almost every relationship problem stems from it to some extent. People are conditioned to respond in ways that business wants and very few have what it takes to resist. These people seldom have children.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:32 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
First of all, big difference between a marriage & the wedding....

I don't think all women dream of their wedding. It's something I've given little to no thought to. I do entertain the idea of marriage, and would like to marry someday. These are not thoughts I've had since childhood. As a child I dreamed of being a hairdresser, a ballerina, a rock star, an artist, etc....but never a wife, a mother, or a bride.

I do think society conditions women to be more marriage-minded, as that used to be the main option for women. If a woman says she wants something other than a family, then people think there is something wrong with her.

We are definitely not brainwashed. We still think for ourselves and have our own individual goals & dreams, despite that our culture tries to dictate what we should want.

Conversely, you might say men are told they are supposed to be sex obsessed and that having & showing emotion is a weakness. So asking a man if he ever wants to marry or have a family may not get much response because he doesn't want to seem like a human being.
Or, you know, maybe men have their own individual views & feelings too

Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Give your 100% honest opinions guys and gals. BE HONEST(ladies)
Ha! Last time I fell for that you baited us and slammed us for our answers. But I'll give it one more try.

Yeah, I'm brainwashed about marriage. Since my last one I can't even begin to think about marriage again. And that one came to an end 13 years ago. Brainwashed, indeed.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I was raised in a very patriarchal religion and I was brainwashed to believe that women always marry, women always are less then their husbands, women don't live on their own and do their own thing, women can't expect to be equal with men, they must submit.
I was programmed to believe also that men wanted this same arrangement and that men would treat their women with respect and love.
I literally had no idea. It took me alot of years to get that out of my head and try to see people for who they were rather then who they were supposed to be based on the brainwashing I grew up with.
My brainwashing started at a young age, I was told to learn to play the piano so that if I married a minister, I could play for his congregation. I was told that it didn't matter what degree I got, just as long as I got one, I was really in college to get my MRS degree.

NOT ONCE did anyone say to me, get a degree that you can get a job with because I would clearly be married to a pillar of the church that would support me while I popped out more christian zombies at home so the church could claim more and more members are following their beliefs.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
TBH, I think a lot of women have been brainwashed when it comes to marriage. Whenever I say that I don't plan on getting married women always tell me "oh, you will one day!" and it really ticks me off! The very idea of marriage doesn't appeal to me and it seems very religious. And I don't understand why so many women spend thousands of dollars on weddings! If I ever do get married, I hope it'll be a small, casual court-house wedding with a witness or two.

My mother is getting remarried at the end of the month. All this talk about weddings all the time really irritates me, and I'm getting suckered into all these stupid wedding traditions. >_<

Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
I think women are more into marriage because society tells women they shouldn't have sex until marriage. And when it comes down to it we all, both men and women, just wanna get laid. Of course, women do have sex with men before marriage but many women do it hoping that that man is "the one." Just my opinion, and you all know what they say about opinions lol.

Edit: Now that I look at it my theory is rather circular. Oh well, I'll change my answer to I haven't got a clue lol.

Last edited by Kaye02; 05-06-2009 at 10:05 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,886 times
Quote:
The reason why I ask is because I go into bookstores very often to check out the newest mags. I notice there are tons of mags about- weddings and brides in the womens section but I never see one mag about weddings and grooms in the mens section.

Also, when I mention that I really am not interested in marriage, it's always the women that respond with curiousity as to why I don't plan on getting married. Guys never ask why, heck I don't think guys care about it as much as women do.

Have women been conditioned to believe in marriage moreso than guys?

nope...
it's just that "fancy wedding stuff" has traditionally been the girls' interest more than the guys'

Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 AM

943 posts, read 2,280,556 times
Quote:
The reason why I ask is because I go into bookstores very often to check out the newest mags. I notice there are tons of mags about- weddings and brides in the womens section but I never see one mag about weddings and grooms in the mens section.

Also, when I mention that I really am not interested in marriage, it's always the women that respond with curiousity as to why I don't plan on getting married. Guys never ask why, heck I don't think guys care about it as much as women do.

Have women been conditioned to believe in marriage moreso than guys?

Yes women are brainwashed about marriage.

I believe this society does not have enough other relationships or community, it is like everything is to be invested into the love relationship and married partner to be everything and anything which is IMPOSSIBLE and bound for failure. Also I look at the people getting married and they are nmore in love with idea of being married and on display, like Bridezillas then even being into the person they are with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships