Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Frankly, if I had a guy who was really "into" weddings and got excited about them, that would be a big red flag for me that he could very well be gay and using me for a "cover."
A "beard" as it were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 03:13 PM

19,428 posts, read 12,079,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Yes women are brainwashed about marriage.

I believe this society does not have enough other relationships or community, it is like everything is to be invested into the love relationship and married partner to be everything and anything which is IMPOSSIBLE and bound for failure. Also I look at the people getting married and they are nmore in love with idea of being married and on display, like Bridezillas then even being into the person they are with.
YES! There is little choice because there are no acceptable alternatives. I was reading an article by a sociolgist that pointed to this as a major factor in our lack of community and isolationism. People get married, hole up in their big houses with videos and don't try to make real friends, talk to neighbors or care much what's going on around them. That creates a dependency on a spouse and kids that isn't so great for society. It makes marriage almost mandatory, or you could end up a complete outcast. As to selfishness of being single vs. married - it goes from about ME to about ME and MINE. Why are people so crazy defending their kids when they are wrong? They don't respect others outside their little unit. This has got to be really bad for society. It seems stupid to apply such status to a this one relationship called marriage. All positive relationships are good.

Now where's my bleepin' Corona (friend to the old spinster nag)

Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,969,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A "beard" as it were.
Or a fine silk scarf!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
YES! There is little choice because there are no acceptable alternatives. I was reading an article by a sociolgist that pointed to this as a major factor in our lack of community and isolationism. People get married, hole up in their big houses with videos and don't try to make real friends, talk to neighbors or care much what's going on around them. That creates a dependency on a spouse and kids that isn't so great for society. It makes marriage almost mandatory, or you could end up a complete outcast. As to selfishness of being single vs. married - it goes from about ME to about ME and MINE. Why are people so crazy defending their kids when they are wrong? They don't respect others outside their little unit. This has got to be really bad for society. It seems stupid to apply such status to a this one relationship called marriage. All positive relationships are good.

Now where's my bleepin' Corona (friend to the old spinster nag)
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!! I especially agree with the bit about the "smug marrieds" being insular. I know some people like that and it's downright creepy! Absolutely NO interest in what goes on outside their confines. Oh, unless a neighbor hasn't cut the grass or paints his/her house a color they don't like, hahahahaha. THEN, they're running to the zoning department and trying to get an HOA or "historic" designation for their neighborhood!

But, I digress... this nag is reaching for a Guinness.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM

51,956 posts, read 52,393,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
But, I digress... this nag is reaching for a Guinness.
But it's not even 5 o'clock your time.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
But it's not even 5 o'clock your time.
Happy Hour begins at 4 p.m. here. Want one?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 PM

26,688 posts, read 41,593,260 times
Are women brainwashed about marriage? Is a bean green? Could James Brown get down?

The wedding industry is the biggest scam going these days.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,597,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
The reason why I ask is because I go into bookstores very often to check out the newest mags. I notice there are tons of mags about- weddings and brides in the womens section but I never see one mag about weddings and grooms in the mens section.
There are tons of magazines about cars and computers and gaming geared for men. I don't think it's brainwashing, just publishers appealing to a market. There aren't as many women who want magazines with barely clad men posing with cars or guns, for example. Playboy and Playgirl are both mostly purchased by men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Also, when I mention that I really am not interested in marriage, it's always the women that respond with curiousity as to why I don't plan on getting married. Guys never ask why, heck I don't think guys care about it as much as women do.

Have women been conditioned to believe in marriage moreso than guys?
Yes, probably. In the big picture, women are the ones who bear children and care for them, so it's important to them to have a secure place to raise them. You might also notice magazines about cooking, parenting, keeping house, etc., are very much geared toward women. We could probably have a great chicken-and-egg debate--i.e., do women continue to be socially conditioned to be wives and mothers because of such magazines, or are those magazines simply a reaction to what women generally want--but I don't think it's anything close to "brainwashing."

Old 09-09-2011, 03:26 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,640,804 times
Why are 2 YO threads being resurrected?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 PM

393 posts, read 889,665 times
Yes absolutely, they are taught from Day 1 by Disney and their mothers that their life is leading up to a gigantic beautiful dream wedding with their knight in shining armor. This is also why women are more likely to say "men are jerks" than men are to say "women are awful": because men are not expecting a superhuman mate! (although many men are unrealistically expecting a size 0 skinny as a rail subservient stay at home sex hole, but that's an unfortunate story for another day.)

this is a total generalization, but it is truer than anyone would like to believe.

oh, how royally screwed up our culture is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships