Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which years are the most difficult in a marriage?
The first year is the hardest. 5 10.00%
Year's 2 - 5 are the big test. 23 46.00%
Years 1-5 are the honeymoon period! It's years 5 - 10 that are hard! 10 20.00%
You only really know where you stand 10 + years into a relationship. 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times

Advertisements

I can't vote because it's not one of the choices.

I would say EVERY year is hard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:53 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Any year can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

Traumatic events don't have to make the relationship harder.

The relationship can make traumatic events easier.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,454 times
Hoboken, you and I should chat, LOL! I don't want to hijack the thread, but we are really going through a very similar time. I know others are in the same boat out there.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 PM

62 posts, read 202,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Any year can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

Good to hear something a little positive.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
I agree, I posted on another thread about therapy and I keep thinking about it when reading this thread. It's not all bad. It's just work. Perhaps we as a society no longer like to work, so therefore jump ship too quick. Meaning, it's hard work, but there is a good result for that hard work!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:49 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I agree, I posted on another thread about therapy and I keep thinking about it when reading this thread. It's not all bad. It's just work. Perhaps we as a society no longer like to work, so therefore jump ship too quick. Meaning, it's hard work, but there is a good result for that hard work!
I agree! What I learned from my parents and the relationship that I am in now with my husband is that it is VERY hard work, but it is worth it and then some! You get back much more than you put in. You just can't throw in the towel every time it gets rough.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:36 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

I agree with this and it's a good way of looking at it!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:13 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Very sorry Jeep. I hope you gain some faith in humanity eventually, although I understand that'll take awhile, if ever.

Hobo: If what you have is described as many doubts, I certainly wouldn't jump into child rearing. I swear, it seems like a major marriage breaker. And it's for life. So maybe keep thinking about it. Just don't do anything rash!

It's been eight years. I still feel like it was last week. It just hit me so hard. The person I thought I could trust above all others. The person I thought loved me the most. Thank you for your kind words everyone. I don't think I'll ever be able to trust another person. Thank goodness for my kids. I love them so much and they love me. Blood is different, I think. I now also have a grand daughter that is the light of my life so that does ease the pain a lot.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
I have been Married for 5 years and 2 months, and in the past few months things have been going down hill. My husband and I have been together as a couple for 8 years and we do not have any children. Were really focused on paying off bills right now, I think since life seems more like a chore with the paying off bills and not having any spending money. So Life and our relationship is not enjoyble at this time. But I dont think thats all thats hurting our relationship. I think maybe after 5 years, and you both let your self go for awhile, and your together so much and then move to where people dont come to visit with you, and you dont get that social interaction that we as humans need. At this point you just kind of go stir crazy, and start to nick pick all the flaws that your partner has. Im guessing 5-7 years are the toughest.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I was just thinking about this. A friend of mine said that the first 5 years of marriage are the hardest. She divorced her husband in year 4, got engaged to another man, but ended up back with husband number 1 several years later. They've now been together 10 more years.

I've heard others say that the first year is the most difficult.

Others say that the first year is the honeymoon period.

Most divorces that I have seen happen after year 10.

So is there a hard and fast rule?

If you get through the first three years are you out of the woods, or are the first 10 years the easy part?

Any thoughts?
For me month 2 was the hardest. We almost divorced. My nightmare was documented here. Now in month 5, so far so good eventhough my husband had his grumpylicious attack for the nth time yesterday. He told me it's the time of the month. I said okay I will remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships