Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post

Look, the truth is that the reason why health care premiums are so high is summarizable in one single word: LAWSUITS. If it weren't for medical malpractice lawsuits, drug side effect lawsuits, etc... we wouldn't have higher medical insurance premiums. .

Ambulance chasing lawyers are the root of many problems in this country. They are a boil on the backside of society.

What's the difference between a catfish and a trial lawyer?

One is a scum-sucking bottom-feeder, and the other is a fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 AM

681 posts, read 2,877,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Ambulance chasing lawyers are the root of many problems in this country. They are a boil on the backside of society.

What's the difference between a catfish and a trial lawyer?

One is a scum-sucking bottom-feeder, and the other is a fish.
My dad once told me this statistic, and I have no reason to believe that he fabricated it. The United States of America has 5% of the world's doctors, and 70% of the world's lawyers. What does that tell you about this country?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I know I need to and it's the one thing I really worry about. I've tried several times and just keep starting back. It really does bother my son so I'm going to get some of the gum. Chantix made me sick as a dog. I appreciate your concern and that you weren't condescending in the way that you said it. Many people on these forums should learn to do the same and they might be able to get their points across a little better.

What worked for me was Commit lozenges. The only problem is that I was then hooked on the lozenges. But I was able to wean myself off of them after a while. The patch and gum didn't work for me....the gum was disgusting to me, and the patch didn't give me something to do with my mouth, so I found myself ripping it off and buying another pack of smokes. I try not to be condescending about the smoking issue, because I've been there, and sometimes when people were antagonistic to me when I was a smoker, it almost made me want to smoke more just to spite them...

Old 05-20-2008, 07:41 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
My dad once told me this statistic, and I have no reason to believe that he fabricated it. The United States of America has 5% of the world's doctors, and 70% of the world's lawyers. What does that tell you about this country?
I'd give you my answer, but I'd probably get sued.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
what do full-figured women seek in men?

There's something so bizarre about that question. It's like asking "What do men with brown hair seek in women?" or "What do tall men look for in a woman?" Why not just ask "What do women seek in men?"

Large women are women, they are not like some separate breed. Why treat them differently or view them differently?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
what do full-figured women seek in men?

There's something so bizarre about that question. It's like asking "What do men with brown hair seek in women?" or "What do tall men look for in a woman?" Why not just ask "What do women seek in men?"

Large women are women, they are not like some separate breed. Why treat them differently or view them differently?
I agree. This sounds like a thread I posted several months ago on black labs and german shepherds. Whoops, I mean my dog posted it.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I know I need to and it's the one thing I really worry about. I've tried several times and just keep starting back. It really does bother my son so I'm going to get some of the gum. Chantix made me sick as a dog. I appreciate your concern and that you weren't condescending in the way that you said it. Many people on these forums should learn to do the same and they might be able to get their points across a little better.
Austinsmom -- keep trying. Research shows that successful quitters try more than once to quit. Quitting was by far the hardest thing I've ever done, but so worth it (14 years smoke free now.) Have you tried Wellbutrin? The patch? Nicorette? The patch is what finally did it for me, but instead of being on it for 6 weeks as suggested, I stayed on it for 18 weeks and weaned myself very very slowly. I became a raving lunatic for several months, but again, it was worth it. I had become embarrassed about my habit and was a secret smoker. Smoking became more trouble than it was worth. The other thing I did was for a whole year, I saved the money I would have spent on cigarettes and bought nice things for myself.

I wish you lots of luck in this endeavor -- when you are successful, you will feel the joy of accomplishing a very difficult task (but be prepared for dreams where you smoke, then you wake up and wonder if you have actually had a cigarette. 14 years later and I STILL have them once every 6 months or so.)

Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default NWP 6:15 mile

NWP,

That is impressive that you can do a 6:15 mile:

I weigh about 220 pounds, which is 35-60 pounds overweight depending upon whose chart you read. I'm a muscular guy but I carry a good amount of fat around my stomach. My waist measurement is somewhere around 40-41 inches. My last blood pressure reading was 120/76. My cholesterol was 141. All of my other organ function metrics turned out normal, although I never got numerical values for them. I can run a mile in 6:15 and a 5K in less than 22 minutes. I can bench-press over 300 pounds, leg-press over 400 pounds, average 12.5 mph for a long bike ride, etc.

You seem "fit but fat" which is much better than most of society.

I have never been able to get over 300 on my bench, though I keep trying. I never focused too much on the 5K, but my best is 16:23.

I am actually really big for a runner. In some races I can qualify in the clydesdale division (over 190lbs). During Christmas they call this group the "Santa Division."

Some fat people are just really strong, though they don't look it. Five years ago I ran a 10 mile race. I ran the race in 55 minutes. Only 1 minute behind me was this guy who was about 50 years old with a beer gut, maybe 5'10, 190lbs. He must have been strong as hell to run 5:30 miles average for 10 miles.

To Austin's Mom, you may not have health problems but many in your group who smoke do. I am not worried about you being 25lbs overweight as that is much less of a factor in increasing health premiums than the smoking.

In Illinois on average, the average smoker generates $800 a year in tax revenue but it costs an extra $1100 per year in healthcare costs. If you smoke, please quit for your health and quite frankly so taxpayers such as me do not have to subsidize your healthcare. This is mean but true.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
After reading MrKrabs post about quitting and needing something to do with his mouth (which was why the patch didn't work for him,) I remembered that I began chewing sugarfree peppermint Bubbleyum. I chewed A LOT of it. It gave me something to do with my mouth, it made my breath smell good, and it kept me from snacking. I had the gum habit for several years after quitting, but that was a whole lot better than smoking. I don't smoke or chew gum now. Now I just chew tobacco. OK just kidding -- I actually don't do anything bad for me now other than eat a little more than I should and exercise a little less than I should.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
I used to smoke - just stopped - had enough, knew the health risks were too much. Best thing I did. You have to face facts - some things are bad news.

Being overweight/obese is also bad news. The person might try and say they don't eat THAT much, but they are obviously taking in more calories then they are using. You don't see many fat people in China/Afghanistan/Romania do you? So these are all excuses. No the Truth will set you free (if you let it), open up your eyes, take your clothes off - take a good look in the mirror and be HONEST! Doesn't mean you are an 'ugly' person - just an unhealthy one.

A good website I have been looking at is 'Fasting for Health and Healing' - I started to fast a day here and there - really disciplined my mind and body. I want my body to be as HEALTHY as it can be - hopefully I will get to 100!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships