Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 04:16 AM

635 posts, read 303,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon899 View Post
I have always wanted to have a long-lasting relationship and stay with one person for the rest of my life. And maybe I'm delusional for wanting that and should change it. This is my first relationship and has been lasting for almost five years (I'm 26 btw) and I have no experience or insight as to when it's the time to end a relationship. I know a lot of people say that you should move on from a relationship when something like this happens, but I also have a feeling like a lot of people give up on relationships so quickly, without giving it a chance... Do you have any thoughts about that?
Sounds like a relationship based on lust and convenience, that has now become toxic. If that's what you're into, hey, do your thing. Some people are into being whipped, tied up, tied down, and battered, so I can't judge. Personally, I draw the line at the other person's well-being and happiness being in jeopardy. But since it's all about YOU, then, continue until the other person leaves you for somebody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 08:53 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,725,824 times
Quote:
I have always wanted to have a long-lasting relationship and stay with one person for the rest of my life. And maybe I'm delusional for wanting that and should change it. This is my first relationship and has been lasting for almost five years (I'm 26 btw) and I have no experience or insight as to when it's the time to end a relationship. I know a lot of people say that you should move on from a relationship when something like this happens, but I also have a feeling like a lot of people give up on relationships so quickly, without giving it a chance... Do you have any thoughts about that?
Do I ever have thoughts about that.

First, human beings are not interchangeable units. You and your partner are specific individuals, and may or may not be a good match for long term happiness. This is your first ever relationship and you had hoped that it would be your last, your "Happily ever after" person... And I'm sorry to say that it's fairly rare for that to work out. And the idea that people are too hasty and frivolous to leave relationships is a toxic one that needs to die in a fire.

You know who is behind that? Crappy partners who don't have a clue or a care as to how to put in the effort to mutually build a HEALTHY partnership and who are pizzed off that others don't choose to stick with them anyways no matter how badly they behave.

Now if you are thinking that there was a "good ol' days" where morally superior people of the past had more meaningful marriages, I would wish to acquaint you with my Grandparents and Great-Grandparents and others of generations prior where yes, indeed, they did the "death do you part" bit but by the time they got there they hated each other's guts. Back then in those (not really) glory days you are thinking of, a man could be a wife beating alcoholic and the neighbors figured it wasn't their business though it sure was a shame, and she likely wouldn't leave because she likely COULDN'T.

But it's not like that now, even if leaving relationships isn't always easy and sometimes we put it off longer than we should. We ladies can have our own leases, mortgages, credit cards, bank accounts, careers, and so on. We can exist as empowered adults.

So here's the thing. You have one life to live, as far as any of us knows for sure. It's a gift, it is yours and yours alone. What is truly wasting your gift, is spending it in unnecessary suffering. There just has to be a point where you cut your losses and move on. If you want to give it more time to feel sure, then do that, but start thinking about plans and logistics, figure out in your mind what you are going to have to do, if you need to break up. Where you will live and all that. And set a date on it, that works for your financial logistics. Keep that in your mind, and if things don't get better by then, leave.

But even if they do...be on the watch for future red flags. Because seriously I don't think that his lack of support for your stressful situation is a good sign, nor his expectation that even if you feel like you're carrying the world on your shoulders alone without a helper, you should be hot for him on demand, and his giving you the cold shoulder when you've been wanting to try and talk things out... None of that sounds healthy to me and none of it sounds like a situation that is likely to get better.

In particular, the fact that he isn't willing to talk about this now, tells me he probably is not willing to make an honest effort, go to couples counseling or anything that might actually help with the other stuff. At some point, this cold-shoulder stonewalling behavior is a manipulation tactic, and you need to be real about that.

As for when to leave a relationship...aside from more obvious abuse... When the time you spend being unhappy about the relationship outweighs the time spent being happy about it, when compromise and communication break down, when you realize that the two of you have completely different views about life and what's important in it, or when a breach of trust will never be truly let to fade into the past...and after that, when you CAN.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:54 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
I don't think it's the fear of being alone, as much as it's just the fact that I genuinely think we fit together really well and often engage and create beautiful things and moments together. I was able to see this person as the one I could spend my life with...
It really doesn't sound that way from the way you've described it. Beautiful moments aren't enough. You need a 5 to 1 ratio of good moments to bad for a relationship to work. All those moments don't have to be super beautiful, but they do have to be positive. This info. is from John Gottman, who has studied this in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9SE315GtA

Old 01-21-2022, 11:40 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,019,721 times
If you are not putting out but flirting with somebody else, that's a slap in the face. I would be pissed, too.

If you want the relationship work, make him happy. You know how to. Or let him have it somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships