Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 02:03 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,718,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Single red rose, nestled in with ferns, a red ribbon tying the items together...the florist will put it together....and then a warm card, well chosen, with a gentle personal message.

It's killer. Understated. Says you thought about it.

P.S. Get the card now. They will all be gone quickly.

Dinner at a fancy restaurant is a rookie move. Maybe do something special at home.
I love this idea! And maybe add some of her favorite candy too (if she eats sweets). An expensive piece of jewelry is a bit much at this stage in your relationship, in my opinion.

I agree with others that dinner out on Valentine's Day is a pain. The crowds alone would put me off.

OP, you know her best though. Is she the type of lady that would like flowers delivered to her at work? Everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 03:27 PM

43 posts, read 46,559 times
Great feedback…thanks all!

Old 01-21-2022, 03:43 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapp View Post
I’ve been seeing a wonderful woman for about 7 months now so this will be our first Valentines Day and I really want to make it special but of course dont want to go overboard!

I plan to but her flowers, take her out to a nice dinner and wanted to also get her something really special. I have my eye set on a really great piece of jewelry that I think would carry a lot of meaning for her and would love for her to have it. But is that too much too soon? I dont want to come off in a way that might appear that I’m trying to impress with big spending or anything.

Second, flowers are must but is it true that women orefer to have them deliver to thier work over given in reason when picked up to go out? I kind of like the idea of in reason but I’m certainly not a woman so could use some advice!
Yes, it's too much too soon for the jewelry.

NO, it's NOT true, that women prefer to have flowers delivered to their job! Bring them with you when you pick her up for the dinner.

Good thought---avoid overboard! You're tending towards overboard.

Wait until next V-day, when the dating/relationship has passed the 1-year mark, so you can feel more assured it will last. Just because you're smitten and want it to last, doesn't mean it will.

Besides, think about it; if you gift her everything but the kitchen sink now, at this early stage, what could you possibly do for an encore next year? And the next? You'll have to escalate. Do you want to box yourself into that so soon?

Get back to us in January of next year, to let us know how things are going.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:48 PM

5,683 posts, read 3,182,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, it's too much too soon for the jewelry.

NO, it's NOT true, that women prefer to have flowers delivered to their job! Bring them with you when you pick her up for the dinner.

Good thought---avoid overboard! You're tending towards overboard.

Wait until next V-day, when the dating/relationship has passed the 1-year mark, so you can feel more assured it will last. Just because you're smitten and want it to last, doesn't mean it will.

Well, I'll say it again, I like having flowers delivered to work, and I know plenty of ladies (that I work with) who like to get flowers at work.

Granted, it's not everyone's thing...but a lot of women like it just fine.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, I'll say it again, I like having flowers delivered to work, and I know plenty of ladies (that I work with) who like to get flowers at work.

Granted, it's not everyone's thing...but a lot of women like it just fine.
OK, so the answer to the OP's question:
Quote:
is it true that women orefer to have them deliver to thier work
is: "it depends". Duly noted.

OP, do you know if she's told people at work that she's seeing someone? If not, it could be awkward or embarrassing for her. IDK. Proceed at your own risk. This could be one of those gestures, that would be better to save for next year.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:07 PM

5,683 posts, read 3,182,553 times
This is going to seem like I'm picking on you Ruth...I'm not...but I guess it's going to seem like it.

Didn't OP say they've been dating for 7 months? IMO, that's plenty of time to make the big Valentine overture. It seems like, to me, that 7 months is plenty of time for him to have some idea about his GF's personality, what she likes, etc.

If they've expressed feelings of love for each other, I wouldn't be surprised. 7 months is plenty of time for that...so the 'big gesture' seems...nice to me.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:15 PM

11,399 posts, read 24,485,204 times
Take her out to dinner the night before Valentine’s Day. Beat the rush. Depending on the cost of the jewelry, maybe give that to her and skip the flowers. Flowers die. Jewelry lasts.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
This is going to seem like I'm picking on you Ruth...I'm not...but I guess it's going to seem like it.

Didn't OP say they've been dating for 7 months? IMO, that's plenty of time to make the big Valentine overture. It seems like, to me, that 7 months is plenty of time for him to have some idea about his GF's personality, what she likes, etc.

If they've expressed feelings of love for each other, I wouldn't be surprised. 7 months is plenty of time for that...so the 'big gesture' seems...nice to me.
OK, but how big a gesture are we talking? The fine jewelry, and the whole shebang? Or dinner, flowers, candy, for a first V-day together?

Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 PM

62 posts, read 50,906 times
In my opinion, it all comes down to the type of relationship you're in. If I was with someone for seven months it would likely be serious, but others might not feel that way. If it is serious for both of you, a gift such as jewelry will likely make her feel very special, especially if it was meaningful to you. However, if things are moving slowly or you aren't quite sure where you stand with her, it may feel too much for her. Only you can know for sure.

Also, flowers can also be a lovely surprise. However, sending them to her work is a bit more risky. Some women LOVE it! Whereas, others feel it is a bit inappropriate or would make them feel uncomfortable. If in doubt, give them in person.

One last thing to keep in mind is setting a precedent for Valentines Day, special occasions, and gifts. It all sounds very romantic, but if you don't think you're going to maintain this level over time, better to scale it back just a little. However, if you love giving gifts and making your partner feel special, then go ahead and have fun!

Old 01-22-2022, 02:52 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,483,775 times
You know what? My husband of 20 years made reservations at a restaurant for Valentine's and I am thrilled. Why? Because after almost 2 years of eating mostly takeout or cooking I am READY to actually go out to dinner with an actual server (instead of the order at the counter place) and enjoy a meal in done sort of ambiance. We actually usually do Valentine's at home but not this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships