Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 08:43 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

I just want to say that the mental image that folks have of "flowers delivered to workplace" has some variation and I find that rather interesting.

See, I imagine getting flowers at the office and others seeing that and being happy for me. Smiling faces. I don't imagine jealousy and snark behind my back or "what they are really thinking" being something awful. I have positive relationships and zero workplace drama with all of my coworkers. If they smiled and were happy for me, I'd assume that it's genuine.

And so receiving flowers at work would feel good. I mean, some of them remember when I was in a relationship that made me quiet and frowning and stressed, or even caused me to miss work because it was bad. A few even got the stories. So "she is happy now and has a man who loves her" would reflect from their smiling faces and warm my heart, like a happy note echoing back from many others. It would be a good thing. I would prefer, if I were not working from home, to receive flowers at work rather than receiving them privately.

It would also make me think of my beloved partner when we are not together.

But of course, this all depends on what kind of place she works at, what kind of person she is, how she does or doesn't get along with her coworkers, how private a person she prefers to be...plenty of factors you can only deduce from her, not from us.

Personally what I like for Valentine's Day, is to go out and share an experience of some kind. I've booked us at a resort for a weekend before, or an overnight in a decent hotel with a concert and dinner...I may not plan it precisely ON Valentine's Day, but possibly on a weekend near it, so we don't necessarily have to deal with crowded places.

But my husband's birthday is near Valentine's Day, so I tend to mush the things together a little. Like I will buy him some gifts, but also plan a small romantic adventure for us to enjoy together. He gets me fancy chocolate and chips in for something like the cost of dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 09:09 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
I'm an admin assistant where I work, and where my desk is, I see everyone who comes in to the office building.

While Valentine's Day wasn't necessarily my favorite holiday as a single person, I DID enjoy seeing the flowers as they came in, and informing the various ladies that they had flowers waiting for them at the front. IMO, there's just something happy about getting flowers at work.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:38 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,154,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
OP, it sounds like a really nice plan. Go with it. I have to lol at those who are acting jealous about you sending her flowers at work.
OP, please update us. I think your plan is amazing. If I were your GF I would be all happy, just saying...

Old 02-07-2022, 04:24 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapp View Post
I’ve been seeing a wonderful woman for about 7 months now so this will be our first Valentines Day and I really want to make it special but of course dont want to go overboard!

I plan to but her flowers, take her out to a nice dinner and wanted to also get her something really special. I have my eye set on a really great piece of jewelry that I think would carry a lot of meaning for her and would love for her to have it. But is that too much too soon? I dont want to come off in a way that might appear that I’m trying to impress with big spending or anything.

Second, flowers are must but is it true that women orefer to have them deliver to thier work over given in reason when picked up to go out? I kind of like the idea of in reason but I’m certainly not a woman so could use some advice!
I loved to get flowers delivered at work, so I suggest you do that. Plus you get the extra added bonus of having her coworkers think you are a great guy. You might have them delivered a few days before Valentines Day.

Then, I think the gift at dinner would be very nice.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:56 PM

928 posts, read 500,095 times
I hate Valentines Day. That said, I always go to great lengths to make dinner reservations at least 1 month in advance. This year that wasn't enough. I got lucky calling a restaurant that is usually closed on Mondays but the manager was listening to the conversation and told the hostess they are open. Its the best Italian restaurant in town, or so I'm told. Beyond that, I like the one red rose idea someone mentioned on the first page and I may do that. My wife and I have only ben married 6 months and before that it was long distance, so it is like a new relationship. Also, I've been buying her things along the way such as a high end coffee maker for her cappuccinos, flowers about once a month or so, clothes shopping, pearl earrings, etc. She knows what I've put into this, so I don't see it as an issue. Also her birthday is 2 weeks later! I'm not made of money. Oh, and of course I'll get her an overpriced $10 card. I excel at picking out special cards.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I hate Valentines Day. That said, I always go to great lengths to make dinner reservations at least 1 month in advance. This year that wasn't enough. I got lucky calling a restaurant that is usually closed on Mondays but the manager was listening to the conversation and told the hostess they are open. Its the best Italian restaurant in town, or so I'm told. Beyond that, I like the one red rose idea someone mentioned on the first page and I may do that. My wife and I have only ben married 6 months and before that it was long distance, so it is like a new relationship. Also, I've been buying her things along the way such as a high end coffee maker for her cappuccinos, flowers about once a month or so, clothes shopping, pearl earrings, etc. She knows what I've put into this, so I don't see it as an issue. Also her birthday is 2 weeks later! I'm not made of money. Oh, and of course I'll get her an overpriced $10 card. I excel at picking out special cards.
In your case, a nice dinner would be enough. If someone gave me a $10 gift card, that would not be well received.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:43 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
When we were dating I send my wife flowers on Valentine's Day and her birthday. She always thanked me and told me how nice they were. Then, after we were seriously dating and talking marriage, she told me that she did that because she knew I was trying to do something nice. But she doesn't like live flowers. "Why buy something that will die in a few days?"
She says I shouldn't get her anything. Valentine's Day is my birthday and she says I shouldn't get her something on my birthday. I don't listen then go ahead and get her something.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
When we were dating I send my wife flowers on Valentine's Day and her birthday. She always thanked me and told me how nice they were. Then, after we were seriously dating and talking marriage, she told me that she did that because she knew I was trying to do something nice. But she doesn't like live flowers. "Why buy something that will die in a few days?"
She says I shouldn't get her anything. Valentine's Day is my birthday and she says I shouldn't get her something on my birthday. I don't listen then go ahead and get her something.
The reason we like flowers is that they are beautiful and smell good, but also because they are a waste of money.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:37 PM

928 posts, read 500,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In your case, a nice dinner would be enough. If someone gave me a $10 gift card, that would not be well received.
Not a gift card, like an old fashioned Valentine's Day card people used to give each other before ecards. Know what I mean???

Old 02-07-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Not a gift card, like an old fashioned Valentine's Day card people used to give each other before ecards. Know what I mean???
Ok, that’s nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships