Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 02:17 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Neither am I.

What an interesting thread. Some people here sure revealed themselves with their responses.

Bigotry? Please... lol. If not wanting to tangle up my life with someone who needs to tote an ESA around, or someone who is chomping on antipsychotic pills, or someone who has substance abuse issues, or someone who has a personality disorder, or someone who has spent half their life enmeshed in The System, and so forth makes me a 'bigot' then you've got me there. A 'bigot' I am then.

After all... a major point of connecting with and dating others is to ENHANCE your life, no? How could any of the above enhance my life?

Bigotry... lol again. Get back to me when you have been on the receiving end of actual bigotry, not this nonsense being parroted here. Why? Because I have experienced actual bigotry.
I find it surprising you wouldn't recognize mental illness stigma as bigotry.

Assuming a person wouldn't be a good partner for no other reason than they may have a mental health diagnosis, that is a bigotted opinion.

Its just so deeply engrained that most people cant see it for what it is. Cant see the forest for the trees

It very much is. Bigotry and prejudice. Which is one reason HIPAA laws even exist. So people can have their privacy protected, so they can avoid being subject to discrimination.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:20 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I find it surprising you wouldn't recognize mental illness stigma as even

Assuming a person wouldn't be a good partner for no other reason than they may have a mental health diagnosis, that is ba bigotted opinion.

Its just so deerply engrained that most people cant see it for what it is. Cant see the forest for the trees.s bigotry. It very much is. Which is one reason HIPAA laws even exist. So people can have their privacy protected, so they can avoid being subject to discrimination.

EXCELLENT point! I am glad we have found common ground, Moongirl.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:25 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
And then there are those who think pain is a game of one-upmanship and no one knows pain like they do.
I don't consider it a 'game'. But let's be real here - being rejected for having an ESA or being under psychiatric care is no where near the same as being rejected over your race or sexual orientation. And if that's not enough...

Minorities and gays have been brutalized and murdered in the name of bigotry. How many ESA peeps have dealt with that?

All 'pain' is not the same. Don't believe me? Step on a tack or douse yourself with gas and strike the match. Pain indeed. But tell me which one is worse than the other.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
EXCELLENT point! I am glad we have found common ground, Moongirl.
Yes, we definitely see eye to eye here!

Old 01-28-2022, 02:31 PM

185 posts, read 136,506 times
Quote:

Assuming a person wouldn't be a good partner for no other reason than they may have a mental health diagnosis, that is a bigotted opinion.

Its just so deeply engrained that most people cant see it for what it is. Cant see the forest for the trees

It very much is. Bigotry and prejudice. Which is one reason HIPAA laws even exist. So people can have their privacy protected, so they can avoid being subject to discrimination.
The original question was - would you DATE someone...

How is not wishing to date someone with an ESA the same as stigmatizing that person. That's quite a stretch.

I also wouldn't date someone much older, much younger, someone who isn't into fitness, a sloppy person, someone with 6 dogs and 9 cats, someone who has lived in the same town all their lives, someone with lots of debt, someone who loves to hang out in bars, who is religious, etc. I'm not stigmatizing any of those people. I simply do not want to date them.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I don't consider it a 'game'. But let's be real here - being rejected for having an ESA or being under psychiatric care is no where near the same as being rejected over your race or sexual orientation. And if that's not enough...

Minorities and gays have been brutalized and murdered in the name of bigotry. How many ESA peeps have dealt with that?

All 'pain' is not the same. Don't believe me? Step on a tack or douse yourself with gas and strike the match. Pain indeed. But tell me which one is worse than the other.
Historically people with psychiatric disorders have endured horrors upon horrors.

Though this isnt the hardship olympics. Bigotry can exist among different groups. It doesn't negate one groups experience to acknowledge the horrors a different group has experiencd (or currently is).

Old 01-28-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Oh please... 'discrimination'. LOL. We are talking about not choosing to date/get involved with someone who has an ESA. You SURE you wanna run with that ball???

Using your logic, I can say I am a 'victim of discrimination' too because 99.7% of the human race doesn't want to *sniffles* be my friend *sniffles* or date me *tears* because I am a femboy *sobbing*.

Tell me, with whom do I speak about getting my reparations check?

This is ludicrous. Really.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:36 PM

238 posts, read 365,252 times
Pretty sure this has been covered multiple times in this thread, but not dating someone for any particular reason/preference is not where the bigotry lies - it's generalizing the fact that anyone with an ESA, or anyone who goes to therapy are so inherently damaged that they shouldn't be dating at all. Sure, that's not directly related to the initial question, but SEVERAL responses in this thread have mentioned those generalizations. That's what people are calling out as bigotry.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallots View Post
The original question was - would you DATE someone...

How is not wishing to date someone with an ESA the same as stigmatizing that person. That's quite a stretch.

I also wouldn't date someone much older, much younger, someone who isn't into fitness, a sloppy person, someone with 6 dogs and 9 cats, someone who has lived in the same town all their lives, someone with lots of debt, someone who loves to hang out in bars, who is religious, etc. I'm not stigmatizing any of those people. I simply do not want to date them.
Can't rep you again...

Boils down to this. Ready?

Xav doesn't want to date Maria because she is a paranoid schizophrenic under a doctor's care. Xav doesn't want to date ANYONE who is under the care of a psychiatrist PERIOD, so he's a 'bigot'. But Xav doesn't want his life drawn through the sewer dealing with all the that accompanies mental illness! "Nope! You are an awful disgusting BIGOT! Now here's your one-way ticket to the Subterranean Tropics... off you go!"

Jessica doesn't want to date Xav because he's a femboy. "Aye, atta gurl! Gotta stay away from creeps and weirdos like THAT! Go for a Real Man (TM) instead of that crazy cross-dressing !"

So, judges, who's the 'jerk'? Xav or Jessica?

Old 01-28-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Can't rep you again...

Boils down to this. Ready?

Xav doesn't want to date Maria because she is a paranoid schizophrenic under a doctor's care. Xav doesn't want to date ANYONE who is under the care of a psychiatrist PERIOD, so he's a 'bigot'. But Xav doesn't want his life drawn through the sewer dealing with all the that accompanies mental illness! "Nope! You are an awful disgusting BIGOT! Now here's your one-way ticket to the Subterranean Tropics... off you go!"

Jessica doesn't want to date Xav because he's a femboy. "Aye, atta gurl! Gotta stay away from creeps and weirdos like THAT! Go for a Real Man (TM) instead of that crazy cross-dressing !"

So, judges, who's the 'jerk'? Xav or Jessica?
Xav is the jerk. Has he even taken time to get to know the person or did he hear the dx and jump to conclusions? Bigotry.

As for Jessica its possible a femboy isnt her type and she has no prejudice around it. Just personal taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships