Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 08:28 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,551,810 times

Advertisements

depends on how his parents behave towards him,some would leave him alone and go about their life,some may like him chipping in to share expenses and house chores.
I have seen adult children who are socially awkward and not physically attractive to have an active social life,they stay with their elderly parents for a long time,may be forever !!!

Old 01-30-2022, 08:33 AM

6,940 posts, read 4,949,532 times
Does he do his own laundry? Cook his own meals and clean up after himself? Does he help with home maintenance? Does he pay rent?

If he lives there and his mother is taking care of him like he's still twelve years old, that's what he will expect from a wife/girlfriend.

Last edited by E-Twist; 01-30-2022 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-30-2022, 08:41 AM

7,615 posts, read 4,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Does he do his own laundry? Cook his own meals and clean up after himself? Does he help with home maintenance? Does he pay rent?

If he lives there and his mother is taking care of him like he's still twelve years old, that's what he will expect from aside/girlfriend.
This.

I would wonder how he has contributed to his parent's home.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:49 AM

8,292 posts, read 8,702,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That really depends on where he lives. There are many high cost-of-living areas of the country (and the world) where home-ownership at 34 and single is unattainable unless he's very wealthy.
If he is living at home he could be saving 1/2 of his income. More if he doesn't pay rent.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:54 AM

8,292 posts, read 8,702,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think when I was younger and actually that age I would have had more issue with it than now.

My thinking would have been that somebody who lived that way wouldn't have gone through the same experiences of living in their own place and going out to bars, restaurants, etc.

But it could still definitely work.
Why wouldn't he go to bars or restaurants? When I was in my early 20's I lived with my parents and went to bars, etc. Most people I know that lived at home just slept there. They cut the grass and that but they weren't sitting home watching TV with the folks.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:59 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,489,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariruc View Post
He works and everything. He never moved out of home before, even when he had a girlfriend. He says he is saving up to buy something which is understandable, but I am a bit worried about how close he is to his parents. Living at home doesn't seem to bother him at all, he finds it quite comfortable.
I live in/rent my daughters garage. It's basically a studio apartment and it's a lot better than paying some landlord way too much of my earnings or buying another house which I despise the thought of.

I see nothing wrong with what he is doing.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:03 AM

137 posts, read 82,855 times
It's not what we imagine adults commonly organize their life in the modern West, but that is very widespread in the world. In many cultures, people live many generations under the same roof for a long time. It's common to have your parents living with you so that you can take care of them when they're older, and they can help with the children when you have some.

I mean, the idea that the criteria for leaving has to be marriage, that might be a bit intense. I suppose he's quite religious or traditional in some ways. Is he from a non-western culture? Or from a deeply Christian family?

In any case, staying at least until he can afford to buy something rather than paying for rent somewhere else is a very rational and disciplined thing to do.

Now if the truth is that he's not actually saving any money and is just enjoying his parents' basement, that's a bit different.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:07 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,387,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If he is living at home he could be saving 1/2 of his income. More if he doesn't pay rent.
Without knowing his income and his financial circumstances, it’s hard to say. He could be bagging groceries at minimum wage. He could have just finished a graduate degree and recently launched his career and has 6 figures in student loans he’s zeroing out. Or he could be living high spending every dime of his income. Certainly anywhere urban and high cost of living, not owning a home at 34 is normal. At 34, I owned a vacation home at a ski resort but I’d sold my starter home and was renting.

My hard lesson from my first home purchase where I sold at a huge loss is to not buy a house unless you think you’re going to be in it for a decade. I was changing jobs pretty frequently in my 20s and early 30s. Buying my first home was a disaster.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:07 AM

8,055 posts, read 3,558,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It’s great save money; but I would prefer someone who is more independent and is willing to take reasonable risks to become self-sufficient. I’d be asking myself why is he so unsure of himself, when plenty of other people manage to live out in the world on their own.
Many people end up buying houses they cannot afford simply because they think they are supposed to by a certain age. I think it's smart to save up while living with your parents, and as housing prices continue to rise I think we'll see it more often. I don't really see it as a bad thing. When I was coming of age I could rent a decent place for reasonable money and then save for a house. Nowadays though even rents, outside of very run down or dangerous neighborhoods, can be pretty outrageous and not leave people with enough left over to save for a decent house within a realistic time frame.

I get the independence angle but really it's nice when families stick together and support each other. As parents age roles often reverse so it's definitely not a one way street. There's no reason every man must be an island.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,551,810 times
sometimes I wonder if divorces usually initiated by the wife is due to lack of family support,in a traditional society where couples live in same city as their parents and siblings,cousins,when the man is away for business,wife has the support of her own family and inlaws,she will always have company when needed and not feel lonely.
I have seen Indian IT workers who brought along their wives/small kid to Las Vegas where he worked,they stayed in the hotel room watching TV and when he returned,they go out and have dinner,which is all a treat for a traditional wife from India,imagine hotel,las vegas,fancy meals,all you can watch western movies?no bed to make,no floor to scrub,no meal fixing,and bragging rites when she gets home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.