Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 10:33 AM

50,526 posts, read 64,490,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I would want more of a life for my son. Maybe if he lived on his own he would be living a bigger better life. Or maybe he likes it this way.
Either way, it would be a yellow flag for me if I was looking at potential mate. At 34, I'd want someone who just has a lot more in their life. But he might be the type of guy that another gal finds attractive and safe. There's a top for every pot.
Yes, I guess I’d feel differently if my grandson was 34 instead of 27. I know for sure that there aren’t many houses in his price range available where they live.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:34 AM

29,803 posts, read 34,628,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
So you think the son should live with the parents until he can afford to buy that house?
As a parent, I'd be more likely to help him buy that house if it meant him getting on with his independent adult life.
That's still making the assumption that his hypothetical parents are in a financial position to help buy a house.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:42 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,678,300 times
Different times require different rhymes. The idea of moving out at age 18 was back when housing required a realistic percentage of income. Not so in modern world. Now its all about "get rich or get out" mentality. And somebody mentioned sharing a flat with several other guys. Honestly? That college dorm life on steroids. I'd sooner live out of a car.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:22 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,294,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's still making the assumption that his hypothetical parents are in a financial position to help buy a house.
Well they are collecting rent.
I’d think they’d probably be banking it to give back to him one day if they were anything like the parents I know. How much more incremental electricity and water do you think the guy uses? The assumption is didn’t pay before he became an adult and he won’t pay once he moves out so I’m thinking they aren’t counting on his rent money in the short term.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:05 PM

9,526 posts, read 11,292,230 times
This is typical in some cultures. When I was working hospice, one family visit I did was an older Italian woman, it was a big house and there were numerous generations there. Very close family.

And VERY ticked that a doc had missed a diagnosis.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:08 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,555,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariruc View Post
He works and everything. He never moved out of home before, even when he had a girlfriend. He says he is saving up to buy something which is understandable, but I am a bit worried about how close he is to his parents. Living at home doesn't seem to bother him at all, he finds it quite comfortable.
He needs to live on his own or at least with a roomate for a few years so he knows how to manage a household. A good rule of thumb for women is to avoid men who haven't, especially if the women do not live with their own parents. Men who live in their parents' houses too long often have a tendency to expect women to do the cooking, cleaning, etc.

I do not buy that this living with one's parents into one's 30s is the new normal. I live in a young area. It is loaded with people in their 20s with roommates or living on their own.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:29 PM

1,483 posts, read 692,843 times
Moved out almost 7 months after turning 18 and never looked back. No regrets at all.

To me, it's all about self-reliance and self-respect - couldn't care any less if women - or anyone - are 'impressed' or not. Not about that at all.

If staying with Mommy and Daddy well into 20s and 30s is the 'new normal' then I shake my head. I will never understand why anyone would not want to be independent.

One of my fairly recent r/s was with a woman who didn't even want to get her DL - I was floored over that one. When I hit 16 - BAM! My bday present to myself was to get the license and go 'va va VOOM!' the same day.

Oh well... people are funny. LOL.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:30 PM

7,011 posts, read 5,022,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariruc View Post
He works and everything. He never moved out of home before, even when he had a girlfriend. He says he is saving up to buy something which is understandable, but I am a bit worried about how close he is to his parents. Living at home doesn't seem to bother him at all, he finds it quite comfortable.
Had he said in what ways he finds it comfortable? Does he feel comfortable having women spend the night?

Perhaps he's hoping to find a woman that owns her own home and will let him move in with her.

Perhaps he is a person that is afraid of change. Time moves on... He may wake up in a few years and feel he can't move because he now needs to take care of his parents.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:43 PM

6,860 posts, read 11,655,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
One of my fairly recent r/s was with a woman who didn't even want to get her DL - I was floored over that one. When I hit 16 - BAM! My bday present to myself was to get the license and go 'va va VOOM!' the same day.

Oh well... people are funny. LOL.
I was so upset that my 16th birthday fell on a Saturday and I had to wait until Monday to get my license.

It seems somewhat common these days for kids to be in no hurry to get their license. I don’t understand it at all.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:45 PM

20,741 posts, read 19,448,487 times
I used to live with my widowed mother into my early thirties to pay her rent and fix things. After her mother passed away, aka my grandmother, I was able to use an inheritance from her mother to set up an income stream. So it all worked out.

if he is saving and/or paying rent, its a good thing. If he is just being a leach, I don't think you need anyone to tell you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships