Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 3,596 times

Advertisements

I am a single 27 year old female. I am just wondering where you met your husband or fiancé (golf course, coffee shop, work)? I am also alone in a new city, and was looking for tips (especially going out to the places you suggest by myself). I also start work soon and I know that a lot of people meet their SOs on the job. So, I am just curious how you met the person that makes your heart sing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 09:31 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Skiing.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,596 times
I've never been skiing before, but since it is Winter I will give it a shot . Thanks

Old 02-04-2022, 10:26 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
First wife, pre-internet, at a frat party. Second wife (and all dates after ending first marriage) and I met on an online dating site.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:49 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
It won't help you, but my husband and I met via a mutual friend. The mutual friend and a group that included my husband stopped by our house to get out of the cold while we were in college. A few days later the friend invited me and my roommates to a party. We only stayed briefly so I didn't talk to him for a long time. The next weekend the mutual friend invited us again to a party. My roommates didn't go, but I decided to go alone knowing he would be there. That was the start of our 40 year long relationship.

The takeaway for you, maybe, is to do something that you wouldn't ordinarily do.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:03 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,060 times
First and only husband (we're now divorced): I met him in his hot tub at a party that he was hosting when I was dating his best friend.

Current partner: he's the only guy who I've ever met online and we've been together for nearly four years. Anyone else who I've ever been with I've met out in the real world save a few blind dates here and there over the years. Places where I met guys "out in the wild" were at the store(s), the laundromat, at my favorite coffee shop(s), out dancing, through/at work (not a great idea, but I had mostly good experiences with this option), through friends/family, bowling, parties/get togethers, at restaurants/bars, and at the bus stop.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-05-2022 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-05-2022, 10:33 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
My bride was working as a waitress in a Truck Stop, doing the graveyard shift.

She was living on her own, and supporting herself.

She also had a p/t job working as an animal trainer at a Marine Life Aquarium, working with sea lions. Though I did not meet her there.

I stopped in a couple of times, at 2am, and she waited on my table. I have just surfaces that week, I was still on Jet-lag, I was staying at a boarding house where we had a big communal supper every evening. I invited her to join us for supper. That was our first 'date'.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:46 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I met my guy via online dating. We've been together almost 11 years.

My nephew, my godson, and a couple of friends all met their spouses via online dating and all have been happily married for 15+ years.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:01 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
My college friend and I were planning to be roommates the following year and thought we might get a better place if we had another roommate. She suggested this guy she knew, so when I heard his name called out later as he entered a dorm apartment we were hanging out in, I was interested to get to know him. I kept looking at him, and he would nervously look away.

I caught up with him later that night heading to the big outdoor concert our school held annually. He was going the other direction as he’d lost his friends. I hooked my arm through his and said “you’re coming with us.” He complied and asked me to dance about 10 minutes later. As soon as we were out of sight of our friends, he planted a big kiss on me, and that was that. We’ve been married 20 years this year.

My girlfriend later admitted that she knew he was too cute to live with.

Last edited by Debsi; 02-05-2022 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-05-2022, 12:16 PM

631 posts, read 398,554 times
I met my ex-husband in the elevator of the apartment building where we both lived.
I met my current long term partner when I took my car into the dealership for service.

I've always maintained that you meet up with a love match when you're not looking for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships