Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 05:12 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Maybe "Changes" would be the better track on that album for you to listen to.
I much prefer Leave It, but no-one in my life who’s forever getting up me about this stuff seems to get the message. Whether it’s my perpetually pickled father dropping hints about being the only son of an only son of an only son and getting stars in his eyes every time I mention a new acquaintance of the preferred gender, my marriage celebrant godmother asking if I’ve met anyone suitable every single time we talk or any number of stomach churningly coupled friends threatening to set me up ‘for your own good’, I rarely get a moment’s peace.

When my health recovers, I hope to study teaching English as a second language and move into doing that full time. I am also very involved in two creative writing groups and, when I have time to myself, I like to spend it by myself reading, watching movies, working on novels, screenplays and short stories and relaxing with my favourite music. These are all things I can enjoy on my own and, by design, I don’t have time or room for a partner. Yet somehow I’m the outlier because I don’t couple up, break up, marry, breed or divorce every few years, leaving heartbreak and disappointment wherever I go. That sort of behaviour may be normal for many, but it makes no sense to me at all.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:31 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I much prefer Leave It, but no-one in my life who’s forever getting up me about this stuff seems to get the message. Whether it’s my perpetually pickled father dropping hints about being the only son of an only son of an only son and getting stars in his eyes every time I mention a new acquaintance of the preferred gender, my marriage celebrant godmother asking if I’ve met anyone suitable every single time we talk or any number of stomach churningly coupled friends threatening to set me up ‘for your own good’, I rarely get a moment’s peace.

When my health recovers, I hope to study teaching English as a second language and move into doing that full time. I am also very involved in two creative writing groups and, when I have time to myself, I like to spend it by myself reading, watching movies, working on novels, screenplays and short stories and relaxing with my favourite music. These are all things I can enjoy on my own and, by design, I don’t have time or room for a partner. Yet somehow I’m the outlier because I don’t couple up, break up, marry, breed or divorce every few years, leaving heartbreak and disappointment wherever I go. That sort of behaviour may be normal for many, but it makes no sense to me at all.

Oh well family....Well thing is sometimes the only cure for that is distance. I remember my grandma took a girl's number once. She was so into family too. I'd be reading a book about the 100 year war or something and she could not understand my nose in a book. She saw her line in jeopardy I suppose...There was no way I could expect her to drop it. Have an only child childless coworker too. I think his dad kinda bemoaned the end of his line too.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:38 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Why are you making those assumptions?

Ok. First time I kissed a girl, I was 11. First time I kissed a boy, 12. Wanna know how long I had to wait to kiss someone again?

Eight years - my first relationship. Also same time I 'chucked my beanie'.

Has zippo to do with any of the things you mention - and none of my 'dry spells' have anything to do with them as well.

Sometimes it just doesn't happen.
These slow, increasingly embarrassing reveals of your romantic history as you post across the forum are both fascinating and uncomfortable.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
These slow, increasingly embarrassing reveals of your romantic history as you post across the forum are both fascinating and uncomfortable.

Won't do any good, because rationalization is the most powerful force in the universe. People who make the same mistakes over and over again don't have the courage to think that perhaps the fault lies with them.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:48 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
Just say "I'm happy the way I am".

Old 02-09-2022, 06:49 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Craving pity is just pathetic but that's what seems to get some folks off.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:49 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Come to think of it, I knew a lot of these guys early in my single life like that. Never could get into a relationship. Yet I saw them interact with women and they were completely clueless. Not only did they not have the first notion about how to relate to women, talk to women, or anything else, but they nursed these convoluted theories on why their couldn't. And the fault never lay with them.

It's not about having a sparkly personality or making lots of money or being able to benchpress the front end of a Buick LeSabre. It's about the simple ability to relate to someone on a deeper level and to make that connection.

You guys sound like carbon copies of those guys.
I've been on singles hikes and other activities with those types. They had no idea, that many topics of conversation they pursued among themselves included comments that were offensive to women. And half the people on the hike were women. Presumably the men were participating in order to meet women, but they tended to click into bro talk with each other, oblivious to the presence of the women. Or if one of the women offered a perspective in the spirit of creating an interesting discussion, they'd shoot her down.

Very strange.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've been on singles hikes and other activities with those types. They had no idea, that many topics of conversation they pursued among themselves included comments that were offensive to women. And half the people on the hike were women. Presumably the men were participating in order to meet women, but they tended to click into bro talk with each other, oblivious to the presence of the women. Or if one of the women offered a perspective in the spirit of creating an interesting discussion, they'd shoot her down.

Very strange.

Yep. One my aforementioned friends nursed these elaborate theories on What Women Want. Yet he couldn't get a date if his life depended on it. Not because he had a birth defect or halitosis. But rather because he never took care of himself, wore crappy clothes, and would say some seriously misogynistic things if he managed to score a sixty-second conversation with a woman.

But, sure, the problem wasn't with him, but with women. To this day, at the age of 60, he lives with his ancient mother.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:54 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
What's worse than having a harelip, a lazy eye, missing a limb(s), or having no teeth?

Plenty of men with these issues (and sometimes more) still manage to find nice partners.

Old 02-09-2022, 06:56 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Some peoples super power, is being single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships