Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 07:09 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,075,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When did it become a wedding ritual? .
I became aware of it 50 years ago. The youtube is full of the push cake videos. Don't know if they are dated but to deny its existence is ignorant.

Hey, I am not promoting cake pushing but it is a thing. She probably should have went along with it and minimized the "action". Now do you believe for a minute that the groom organized cupcakes without the brides knowledge. That is gullible on your part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFy1c0yhgNY

Look at all the smiling guests!

Hilarity ensues.

Last edited by GoldKona; 02-22-2022 at 07:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2022, 07:23 PM

4,417 posts, read 3,494,672 times
I'm not buying this story. This is based on anonymous advice column per the article. The photo is not of this couple....the caption clearly states this.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:57 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,581,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Missing the point: it is about not listening - and therefore not respecting - to the other person.
Not to mention that grabbing the back of someone's head and shoving that person's face down into a cake is not funny. As someone who has baked more than a few wedding cakes and knows how they are constructed, the groom is damn lucky that there wasn't a dowel running down the center of that cake. Women are trained to be polite and agreeable, so there's a good chance that the bride in question went along to get along at the time of the incident.

This scenario reminds me a bit of my sister and her first husband and their wedding. Some of the crap that he pulled at their wedding was very indicative of how he began to treat her once they were married. Of course, she laughed off his antics at the wedding and reception, but anyone who knew her well could tell that she was humiliated and appalled at his behavior. Their marriage was annulled about a year after their wedding.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-22-2022 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-22-2022, 08:29 PM

1,964 posts, read 711,097 times
I thought there were other incidents where the cake cramming got out of hand.

This is from SNOPES:

Our First Fight
The dark side of the 'feeding each other cake' custom.
David Mikkelson
Published 6 July 2005

Claim: Cute cake custom causes contretemps.

Origins: Here’s a true-life wedding horror story straight from the pages of a 1993 newspaper. Heh, and you thought weddings were civilized

A bride and groom in Westport, Conn., got into a fight over the tradition of cramming wedding cake into the face of one’s beloved.
Tracey and John O’Donnell were arrested at their wedding reception Saturday for disturbing the peace. Tracey O’Donnell said her husband fed her the cake too roughly, after she had told him to take it easy, police reported. Fighting ensued when she responded in kind, police said. The couple were later released. They are due in court Sept. 14.

Barbara “doesn’t take much to turn ‘marital’ into ‘martial'” Mikkelson

Last updated: 9 July 2005

Old 02-22-2022, 09:14 PM

44,403 posts, read 20,136,139 times
This thread is now closed. I've cleaned up the most recent barrage of rude and off-topic posts.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.