Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 05:28 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Trophy hunters that boost apparent status have pictures in their bio. If you were merely being pragmatic about one would say I like to travel overseas( and its still in the category ). Trust me, its 90% look how awesome I am.

Bio #1

* likes cross word puzzles
* favorite food is cheese fries.
* gear head

Bio #2
* Snow boarding
* favorite food is Lobster
* pilot
I thought liking tacos was a thing that's popular now, and thus in dating profiles. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 06:49 PM

101 posts, read 49,620 times
When she mentions she 'loves to travel' and has many photos on her profile but none of them in a vacation situation it means "I love to travel ... but only when someone else is footing the full bill"

Old 03-01-2022, 06:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy68 View Post
When she mentions she 'loves to travel' and has many photos on her profile but none of them in a vacation situation it means "I love to travel ... but only when someone else is footing the full bill"
So she doesn't take photos of trips she pays for herself?

Or maybe she travels alone and doesn't do selfies (me <---)

Old 03-02-2022, 06:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
So she doesn't take photos of trips she pays for herself?

Or maybe she travels alone and doesn't do selfies (me <---)
I don’t do selfies either and I do travel a lot. I think selfies are more a thing for people who are active on IG but not necessarily the rest of us.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:23 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
There is nothing wrong with selfies , enjoying travel , or even using it to attract the attention of the people you like. In fact I am often conflicted between showing my spectacular photos or going with a display of false humility myself.

The point is do not lie to yourself, and do interpret the presentations for what they are. Not all of it is done consciously, but others are just life style sales pitches. Its an amusement for the rest of us when we identify it.

Its one reason why I dumped Facebook years ago. A lot of what I posted was just a simple hobby I had when I was more home bound with a family with young children, but I could feel the vanity.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t do selfies either and I do travel a lot. I think selfies are more a thing for people who are active on IG but not necessarily the rest of us.
Exactly. Its social media driven. I took maybe 750 or so photos in Panama last spring. I think posted one, and it was something interesting (Sun Bittern), and definitely no people.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:01 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I often regret the fact that I'm not a big picture taker in general. It kinda takes me out of the moment, and when I'm in a place, doing a thing, I'm pretty focused on enjoying it, not documenting it for later. Which I then feed bad about later when I don't have photos...but I feel worse about having few of other people. I wish I had more pictures of my sons as they became older kids, I took a lot when they were little. I have about a million pictures of my cat, but he's a total ham, and he's always right there when I've got nothing better to do than take pictures of something.

But I kinda don't get the whole "selfies for Facebook, look at me!" thing because I have very few friends who do that, despite having a lot of Facebook friends... Or I guess, more like, Facebook knows that I don't tend to engage with that kind of content so I see less of it. It's very rare for me to take photos of myself or to share them. My social media is mostly funnies, art, cat pictures, and architecture and home decor stuff.

You know what I love, though? Friends who travel a lot and who do share pictures of themselves doing interesting things, WHEN it is accompanied by a bit of story. And I think I would like that on a dating profile as well. And as I feel a lot of people have kinda said here, I would rather hear a bit more detail than just "I love travel." After all, text that tells us a bit about who a person is...it'll be more effective and interesting than a list of bullet points, right? At least, I think so. A dating profile that was more like the teaser for a good novel, and less like a corporate meeting recap email...that would be nice.

But when I saw dating profiles that struck me as generic (or worse, utterly vapid) I always thought...well...there's probably plenty of other people who are a better fit for that person than I am, who prefer less words and more selfies. /shrug Not my business. We put out there what we're trying to attract, don't we? More or less?

Old 03-02-2022, 08:47 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I often regret the fact that I'm not a big picture taker in general. It kinda takes me out of the moment, and when I'm in a place, doing a thing, I'm pretty focused on enjoying it, not documenting it for later. Which I then feed bad about later when I don't have photos...but I feel worse about having few of other people. I wish I had more pictures of my sons as they became older kids, I took a lot when they were little. I have about a million pictures of my cat, but he's a total ham, and he's always right there when I've got nothing better to do than take pictures of something.

But I kinda don't get the whole "selfies for Facebook, look at me!" thing because I have very few friends who do that, despite having a lot of Facebook friends... Or I guess, more like, Facebook knows that I don't tend to engage with that kind of content so I see less of it. It's very rare for me to take photos of myself or to share them. My social media is mostly funnies, art, cat pictures, and architecture and home decor stuff.

You know what I love, though? Friends who travel a lot and who do share pictures of themselves doing interesting things, WHEN it is accompanied by a bit of story. And I think I would like that on a dating profile as well. And as I feel a lot of people have kinda said here, I would rather hear a bit more detail than just "I love travel." After all, text that tells us a bit about who a person is...it'll be more effective and interesting than a list of bullet points, right? At least, I think so. A dating profile that was more like the teaser for a good novel, and less like a corporate meeting recap email...that would be nice.

But when I saw dating profiles that struck me as generic (or worse, utterly vapid) I always thought...well...there's probably plenty of other people who are a better fit for that person than I am, who prefer less words and more selfies. /shrug Not my business. We put out there what we're trying to attract, don't we? More or less?

As an inexpedience traveler on my first very long road trip I did not even bring a camera. I told myself I would just commit it to memory. I ended up rethinking it somewhere in Colorado. The digital camera at the time was still uncharged , and I ended up driving into New Mexico where there was some freezing rain that covered all the trees and it looked like a crystal forest.

There is something ironic about it. I remember is so vividly due to the trauma of having no photo of it.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:02 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
I thought liking tacos was a thing that's popular now, and thus in dating profiles. lol

Doesn't everyone like tacos? Even vegans eat tacos.

OK, maybe an odd thing to mention in a profile.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I have a relative who loves to travel, to the point taking off for somewhere every time a work project ends. Sometimes it's a quick trip to see a friend in a different state and sometimes it's a 3 week vaca in another country. I don't know why she likes it so much but that's how it is. I personally don't like to travel much these days. I have fun on short road trips but after a few days I want to back home with all my stuff. I've taken trips overseas and around the country when I was younger but now it's exhausting just thinking about the logistics of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships