Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 04:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,554,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
But after you come home from your 3 to 4 day trip, you wouldn't have a PS 5 to play on lol One thing about a PS 5 it'll always be there....a trip is more of a consumable item.
My kids and I will always have our cruises to reminisce about (and we often do), lots of photos and videos, etc. We haven't yet had the opportunity to get a PS5 but we've got all the others (and many other consoles). We will eventually get the PS5 too, but it isn't a top priority right now. I just used it as an example to compare costs of two different "luxuries".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 04:53 PM

10,522 posts, read 7,133,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Boy, I don't think there's enough condescension here!

All because the guy may prefer to be a homebody and not partake in travel?

In this situation, the homebody is highly self-centered. Hey, if you don't want to go out all the time, no problem for me. But if your spouse absolutely wants to travel and you have the means to do it, then you shouldn't be a gigantic stick-in-the-mud. By saying, "I don't want to go anywhere," you are basically telling her that what she wants doesn't matter to you.

Nope. Because if the person you're married to wants to do something, you suck it up every once in a while and do it. Not only that, but you do it with a good attitude. It's not about you all the time, you know.

Old 03-17-2022, 04:57 PM

20,482 posts, read 14,848,232 times
So I guess how people feel about STUFF would also come into this. Because I am seeing a few posters saying that they would prefer to buy stuff than to travel, because the stuff lasts in their possession, whereas travel is more...a kind of consumable expense, once it's done, you have "nothing to show for it."

That is a valid point but only from some perspectives.

I have been poor enough to lose everything I had multiple times. I had to abandon everything twice in my younger life, and at times had to sell lots of my stuff to survive. Stuff is transient. Life can take it from you. But memories...well unless your brain deteriorates somehow, you get to keep those.

So I feel like those two lines of logic make it...kind of a wash, ya know? Neither approach really makes more sense, buying frivolous stuff you don't need, or buying a trip to go somewhere. The only thing that makes the difference, is which one would make any given person happier. For me, obtaining stuff doesn't do much for me anymore. I think that eventually if you go through some period of time where your money is pretty good and you can afford to get whatever you want, it all loses its shine. It doesn't matter as much. In leaner times, I wanted and wanted...wanted better and more food, wanted better and more stuff, everywhere I went there were things I desired and couldn't afford to get. So the moment I had any extra money at all, I was in a rush to decide how to spend it, because I'd spent so long wanting so intensely. But things got better...and when I found I could just go out and buy whatever, it wasn't a big deal anymore, and my mind began to say, "Or, you know, you could NOT go spend your money on that." And I don't want much, and I don't spend as much on things. I mean, I'm no minimalist, and I do love my many belongings, I just don't feel like I need anything. Any kind of shopping feels more like a hassle, than fun.

I also don't care to play video games, beyond some of the most simple old favorites. I refuse to get into anything like what I did back in my World of Warcraft days. Just don't wanna.

But for me, travel on the other hand... The feeling of freedom in it, hitting the open road with no deadlines, being able to stop and look at whatever snags my interest. Visiting friends or family. Getting set up on a balcony near a beach where I can hear the ocean. I feel that my travel memories are more precious than most of the stuff I own.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:13 PM

1,483 posts, read 692,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In this situation, the homebody is highly self-centered. Hey, if you don't want to go out all the time, no problem for me. But if your spouse absolutely wants to travel and you have the means to do it, then you shouldn't be a gigantic stick-in-the-mud. By saying, "I don't want to go anywhere," you are basically telling her that what she wants doesn't matter to you.

Nope. Because if the person you're married to wants to do something, you suck it up every once in a while and do it. Not only that, but you do it with a good attitude. It's not about you all the time, you know.
Does the wife feel as passionately about the situation as you do?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Does the wife feel as passionately about the situation as you do?

Given the scenario I originally commented on, yes.

Single guys shouldn't be opining on how to have successful relationships. Just saying.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:03 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,057,601 times
Quote:

However during the course of hte marraige, one spouse may be on board with traveling, but let's say one of them is sick of it and no longer wants to continue? And then what?

Let's say you've seen enough...there's no need to continue to do so...then why continue to do so? Could you honestly say this will be the demise of the marriage?

My parents did a lot of traveling, and even joined up with neighbor friends doing so. Then they go burnt out on it after about 5 years...and preferred to live at least domestically. Their neighbors are of the type of personality that always HAD to be doing something.

They even changed houses, in the same region, about 4 to 5 times in a few years. It's like they were restless.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:23 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,057,601 times
You know what's funny, the posts I would see here regarding how some people...if they have TOO much in common, would be incompatible because they, well...have TOO much in common.

Like activities for interests and the benefits of one partner going off and doing their own hobby, while the other person does there's.

They'd say things like "I don't want a twin of myself!" But hey...maybe they do, right?

That if you have too much in common, that I'd make for a rather boring relationship. So they avoid people they have something in common with? As weird as that may sound.

Seems like there's an argument for both sides...regardless.

Like I said, I know an avid outdoor enthusiast that has a spouse that dont' give a crap about that stuff. He lets her do her hikes, and he stays home and does whatever he does. Been together for years...go figure, right?

Old 03-18-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Given the scenario I originally commented on, yes.

Single guys shouldn't be opining on how to have successful relationships. Just saying.
I'm not single.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not single.

Says so on your profile.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Says so on your profile.
My apologies to you... I will update.

Have to remember to 'check in' for things such as that as I am under obligation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships