Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 11:45 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,577,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Exactly. I did it for literally years pretty economically.

You can get cheap flights. Stay in hostels or even rent a place if you will stay awhile. I rented a gorgeous place for only $120/ month in a beach town in a foreign country.

Make friends and do a home stay.

Its not always about going to fancy resorts or shi shi destinations.

Sometimes traveling for an extended period can be cheaper than living in the states.

There are ways to work and make money while traveling too so you don't necessarily have to dip into your savings.
I totally agree with you, MG! Staying in that beach town must have been a blast!

I used to stay in hostels (ones with private rooms, but shared baths and kitchen facilities), occasionally rented apartments--even once rented one half of a houseboat on the Seine (the landlords lived in the other half; accommodations came with a continental breakfast ) I liked to hit the local stores and markets, so I'd prepare at least one meal a day wherever I was staying, although I would splurge on some really nice meals out. Once you're in a given country, there are always a ton of things to do that are free or quite inexpensive.

How I also managed to travel is by chaperoning trips for teachers who I know. Flight and accommodations were paid for and it was fun to take a small group of students around to see the sights on the "free" days/nights.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-27-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 11:46 AM

20,736 posts, read 19,412,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Exactly. I did it for literally years pretty economically.

You can get cheap flights. Stay in hostels or even rent a place if you will stay awhile. I rented a gorgeous place for only $120/ month in a beach town in a foreign country.

Poorer people do not have a month. They usually have to work. So it usually means support from parents who are once again middle class+.

Quote:

Make friends and do a home stay.

Its not always about going to fancy resorts or shi shi destinations.

Sometimes traveling for an extended period can be cheaper than living in the states.

There are ways to work and make money while traveling too so you don't necessarily have to dip into your savings.

Sure , when you are young and single. Cheap motels in West Texas were not problem for me either with a 38 snubby and a boot knife. However no getting around the time . Lying on a beach might be cheaper but that is traveling to location, not traveling. Travel is expensive. .

Was not into sitting at the beach personally.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:46 AM

20,427 posts, read 14,745,069 times
The vibe I'm getting is just kinda...economical frustration? Men thinking perhaps if a woman says she loves travel, that she has an unspoken expectation that he's got to be rich and paying for the two of them to go jetting around the globe and lounging at posh resorts? When maybe the man seeing that, thinking that, is a hard working guy who still has to be frugal and sensible, so he's kinda miffed that some gal expects him to suddenly start throwing wads of cash all over the place?

I mean...there are a lot of assumptions going on there, if so. Although I do understand, because I also feel frustrated by economic pressures and these vague notions of what "society says I'm supposed to be doing with my life"... Striking a good balance between being responsible for tomorrow, while still enjoying life today, sometimes it's not easy. And sometimes people can work their butts off, live in utter austerity, and yet STILL not feel that they are seeing as much gain or benefit or prosperity as they thought they would if they only "did everything right." I get that FEELING. I do.

But projecting that frustration at a stranger just because they said that they love travel... I dunno. It's a bit much, really.

I mean, I could say I love "travel" but if I said it in a dating site, I'd probably clarify that my preference is more of the road trips and domestic flights variety, a week at a beach in NC, rather than jet-setting and globe-trotting. Like if I said that I loved the outdoors, I would personally have to qualify that I like hiking but I'm not that into camping.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Some people out there are honest but go ahead and be specific and call it camping or day trips and see how many hits off the bio one gets.
That's when you post awesome pictures from your campsite or day/weekend trip destination and the things that you did while there.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:57 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,333,332 times
While I'm sure plenty of people put that in their profile for the reasons already mentioned in this thread, I also think some of them are sugar baby types who are looking for guys to take them on expensive trips.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:01 PM

18,741 posts, read 33,462,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
:

To me, domestic travel is still travel. ...

All of this aside, having a love of travel in one's bio isn't that unusual, O.P. Plenty of people enjoying doing so. Isn't sharing things that you like to do part of being on a dating app or online site so others can see what your particular interests happen to be? It's not as if people are suddenly listing "searching for navel lint" as one of their favorite pastimes. Now *that* would be a mess if you were saddening seeing such a pastime on everyone's profiles!

I do think "love travel" is another shorthand for being open to new experiences or open minded or easy going under pressure, although I'm sure we've all met people who aren't so easy going in travel!

Old 02-27-2022, 12:03 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,289,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Poorer people do not have a month. They usually have to work. So it usually means support from parents who are once again middle class+.

Sure , when you are young and single. Cheap motels in West Texas were not problem for me either with a 38 snubby and a boot knife. However no getting around the time . Lying on a beach might be cheaper but that is traveling to location, not traveling. Travel is expensive. .

Was not into sitting at the beach personally.
If its a passion for someone, they will find a way. That's what I did. I had a decent job that let me acquire some savings, then I got burnt out and quit. I traveled for 3 years and managed to mostly pay my way by making money as I went, and kept my expenses dirt cheap. I was probably spending maybe $500/ month on accommodation, food, and entertainment.

People who "get it" like that want to find each other. I think those are the people putting it on their profile.

I met lots of fellow travelers while traveling but rarely meet people like that stateside (probably because they are traveling).

But if someone strictly means they just want to go on a package tour to Cancun, then that's different.

But if you dont have the passion or the willingness to make it a priority and make sacrifices in other areas, you are probably not compatible with someone who does.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:05 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,766,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How much do you imagine it costs for a budget trip Europe for a week OP? There are lots of tips and tricks, like booking your own accommodation and buying a Eurail pass. I imagine it wouldn't cost more than about 2 weeks-1 month's salary for most. Saving $100 a week for a year would give you plenty.
That's what I figured, they talking like they ready to go now lol

Old 02-27-2022, 12:07 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,766,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
The vibe I'm getting is just kinda...economical frustration? Men thinking perhaps if a woman says she loves travel, that she has an unspoken expectation that he's got to be rich and paying for the two of them to go jetting around the globe and lounging at posh resorts? When maybe the man seeing that, thinking that, is a hard working guy who still has to be frugal and sensible, so he's kinda miffed that some gal expects him to suddenly start throwing wads of cash all over the place?

I mean...there are a lot of assumptions going on there, if so. Although I do understand, because I also feel frustrated by economic pressures and these vague notions of what "society says I'm supposed to be doing with my life"... Striking a good balance between being responsible for tomorrow, while still enjoying life today, sometimes it's not easy. And sometimes people can work their butts off, live in utter austerity, and yet STILL not feel that they are seeing as much gain or benefit or prosperity as they thought they would if they only "did everything right." I get that FEELING. I do.

But projecting that frustration at a stranger just because they said that they love travel... I dunno. It's a bit much, really.

I mean, I could say I love "travel" but if I said it in a dating site, I'd probably clarify that my preference is more of the road trips and domestic flights variety, a week at a beach in NC, rather than jet-setting and globe-trotting. Like if I said that I loved the outdoors, I would personally have to qualify that I like hiking but I'm not that into camping.

I would hope not because a lot of them wasnt all that good looking

Old 02-27-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I do think "love travel" is another shorthand for being open to new experiences or open minded or easy going under pressure, although I'm sure we've all met people who aren't so easy going in travel!
Lol. Agreed!

I'm of the belief that every couple who's considering marriage, cohabitation, or even just a LTR should take a trip together--bonus points( (if doing foreign travel) if one partner doesn't speak the local language.

You find out so much about not only each other, but yourself when doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships