Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 12:43 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,569,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm married, so a lot of this doesn't apply to me, but...
Imagine how it would torpedo my dating possibilities if I put, "Love to travel alone." I guess I might attract a homebody or two who would love to have a husband who left home for a few days every now and then, but maybe not even that.
Hopefully, I'll never have to deal with it.
A bit off topic, but also slightly on topic:

My parents used to travel internationally both together and, in my dad's case, separately although he would go with a group of his male buddies.

My mom used to love that he took those trips with his friends. It gave them some needed time apart and helped to keep their marriage fresh, she said. I can't say that I'd mind a man like that so long as I could also take a solo trip from time to time, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 12:45 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People still travel, just not in the US where people prefer to live to work...

indeed. Time is by far the biggest barrier. 2 weeks and the paltry about of holidays. Even then there is often pressure where some people don't think they can take the week. I have friends that seemed to do little travel but more remodeling and she said she can't let it go for a week.

I used to envy Australians until they started having those ....camps.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:53 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,569,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
When I tell someone I love to travel what I am getting at is that I love to explore other cultures and have a certain open mindedness and wanderlust.

I don't mean I want an uptight luxury resort stay in Bali where everything is pristine and arranged on advance.

I want to be challenged.

When I traveled I arranged nothing ahead usually. Just arrive at a place and take it from there. And yes usually off the beaten path places that most people look at me shocked when I say I am going there. Ukraine for example.

I would have loved to find like minded people. Nobody was interested though I did find them while actually traveling though.

I certainly don't mean it as a status thing.

Some people might but hopefully you can take cues from context and know which type of traveler you are dealing with. The status mongers that just want to flex on everyone or the adventurous curious types.
The same here, although I usually booked my hosteling or apartment accommodations in advance. Once I arrived, carry-on in tow, I just did whatever I wanted to each day. No plans, a lot of exploration and plenty of eating.

Found like-minded people both abroad and have been lucky enough to have dated people who have done the same. Not a one of those people were luxury travelers. One had once backpacked his way through Vietnam and Nepal (he had funded his travels and time off by working a few seasons aboard an Alaskan fishing vessel); another lived abroad as a student; still another just overstayed their visa and lived and worked abroad for several years before getting shipped home.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:55 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
When I tell someone I love to travel what I am getting at is that I love to explore other cultures and have a certain open mindedness and wanderlust.

I don't mean I want an uptight luxury resort stay in Bali where everything is pristine and arranged on advance.

I want to be challenged.

When I traveled I arranged nothing ahead usually. Just arrive at a place and take it from there. And yes usually off the beaten path places that most people look at me shocked when I say I am going there. Ukraine for example.

I would have loved to find like minded people. Nobody was interested though I did find them while actually traveling though.

I certainly don't mean it as a status thing.

Some people might but hopefully you can take cues from context and know which type of traveler you are dealing with. The status mongers that just want to flex on everyone or the adventurous curious types.

Lets call it adventure travel on a budget. I would expect one will learn something. That is my preferred type . The downside is needing a vacation after the vacation. Even the easy ones have pets,frozen pipes, and layovers. Still no luck on those teleportation prototypes.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:41 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People still travel, just not in the US where people prefer to live to work...
I dunno. I get up four weeks paid vacation plus I work remote so I can log in anywhere with Wi-Fi. Once it warms up enough I’m heading to the beaches. Plenty of my peers travel with more or less vacation time than myself. If it is a priority than someone can work it out.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:54 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,657,727 times
To the original question "doesn't everyone like to travel?" I would say no.

While, to me, traveling generally means foreign lands, a trip to the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone, or New Orleans or Key West, etc etc. is certainly travel as well.

Any sort of travel is often not for the faint of heart. Even if driving the interstates are so crowded and crazy drivers come out of nowhere.

And flying is worse. Hotel rooms are expensive, gas is high. There are many reasons people would choose not to travel or not to enjoy it.

To say "Like to travel" implies a willingness to endure possible discomfort or challenging situations that might come up.

Many people are comfortable in their comfort zone thank you and have no desire to leave it.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:05 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times
When I thought of travel as I neared retirement (and could have had almost 10 weeks off if I went part time) all I could think of really wanting to do was go to Colorado. So I moved here, am living where I'd travel to.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:53 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Who dont like to travel if they have the time available and money? I am the only one who still has to work for a living and request time off? LOL I mean someone can love to travel and not have the money right now or is that a turn off in 2022? These dating apps are wild
OP, why would you think someone stating "I love to travel" in their OLD profile is a "mess"? Some people like to travel, and some don't. What's the big deal? If you liked everything else you read in a profile, would that one statement be a total turnoff for you? That makes no sense, unless you dislike traveling and the other's profile said they would only want to meet someone who would travel with them.

My boyfriend's OLD profile said he likes to travel, and it included some vacation photos. At the time, he was working about 60 hours a week (still works about 50/wk). Just because he likes to travel doesn't mean he has tons of money and doesn't work. Some of my bf's travel has been work-related and some has been for pleasure. The pleasure trips were taken during vacations from work. (Yes, he still "has to work for a living and request time off.") My bf wrote in his profile that he loves to travel because it is a genuine interest of his, and he had hoped to find someone who would share his passion.

I have always wanted to travel abroad, but before I met my bf (10.5 years ago), I never dated anyone who was interested in traveling more than a short distance from home. I jumped at the chance to get to know my now-bf, and share his interest in travel and learning about other cultures, history, food, nature and architecture. In the past 10 years (excepting 2020), we've visited 19 foreign countries together, scheduling trips around our work schedules and allotted vacation days. This summer we will check off a couple more countries on our bucket list. I'm glad he wrote "I love to travel" in his dating profile!

By the way, neither of us is wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I've been saving a little at a time for 20+ years in an account earmarked for travel (if the opportunity ever arose) and for repairs on my 107-year-old home. I choose to let some things on the house go so I can travel while I'm physically able. The house can wait! Also, we always fly coach and spend many hours searching for great deals on lodging and activities.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:34 PM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
It's also some herd mentality...it's trendy to say "I love to travel" these days on social media.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:46 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,758,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
OP, why would you think someone stating "I love to travel" in their OLD profile is a "mess"? Some people like to travel, and some don't. What's the big deal? If you liked everything else you read in a profile, would that one statement be a total turnoff for you? That makes no sense, unless you dislike traveling and the other's profile said they would only want to meet someone who would travel with them.

My boyfriend's OLD profile said he likes to travel, and it included some vacation photos. At the time, he was working about 60 hours a week (still works about 50/wk). Just because he likes to travel doesn't mean he has tons of money and doesn't work. Some of my bf's travel has been work-related and some has been for pleasure. The pleasure trips were taken during vacations from work. (Yes, he still "has to work for a living and request time off.") My bf wrote in his profile that he loves to travel because it is a genuine interest of his, and he had hoped to find someone who would share his passion.

I have always wanted to travel abroad, but before I met my bf (10.5 years ago), I never dated anyone who was interested in traveling more than a short distance from home. I jumped at the chance to get to know my now-bf, and share his interest in travel and learning about other cultures, history, food, nature and architecture. In the past 10 years (excepting 2020), we've visited 19 foreign countries together, scheduling trips around our work schedules and allotted vacation days. This summer we will check off a couple more countries on our bucket list. I'm glad he wrote "I love to travel" in his dating profile!

By the way, neither of us is wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I've been saving a little at a time for 20+ years in an account earmarked for travel (if the opportunity ever arose) and for repairs on my 107-year-old home. I choose to let some things on the house go so I can travel while I'm physically able. The house can wait! Also, we always fly coach and spend many hours searching for great deals on lodging and activities.

I feel its in the same category is I like nice weather, I like delicious food. I just figured everyone likes to go on a trip if they have time and money. I think people just dont know what to put in their summary and all same the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships