Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 01:19 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm not sure what you are driving at. My parents were married for 30 years. My father has an MSW from a top university and an LCSW. My mother worked for the school district for 30 years and retired. Going to college is not that relevant to how a lot of people adjust to their post-college lives. M parents actually adjusted quite well. My father had the G.I. bill, they bought their first house, then their 2nd, then their 3rd. Each house was a further step up. My mother had deep unresolved issues related to child abuse and other parental issues.

My family is actually full of long term marriages. There have been a few divorces, followed by long term marriages. Several marriages have reached 50+ years (my peers).

You are very defensive.

You are the one who made of point of saying that your parents went to college. If this wasn't relevant, why did you mention it? You also ended your first post with the statement that you suffered due to your parent's marriage. Who is the "everyone" to whom you are referring in the last sentence of the first post if not you?

I was responding to your posts, which included:

"What I also realized after talking to one of my father's brothers years ago is that my father didn't really love my mother. I think he liked her, and I think he liked her well enough to marry her. But I think thete was pressure to marry, generally speaking. As time went on he was increasingly unhappy and she was too, but they stuck it out because of "the age of non-divorce." Also, my father was a marriage and family therapist. He thought that it would hurt his career if he got divorced. So that had a lot of bearing on their attitude about "can do" and "can't do."

It seems to me that a lot of such marriages took place and everyone suffered for it to varying degrees."

and

"My parents met at college before my dad had to go off to the war."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 01:21 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
I kick back at people who bait me or take issue with my posts as if I am completely wrong and they are completely right.

It is a discussion. If you perceive it as defensive, that is your prerogative. Doesn't change the fact that when someone gets the wrong impression or is unnecessarily critical, I'm not going to keep quiet.

The "everyone" is everyone in my nuclear family. Excuse me for not being crystal clear and minutely correct.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:46 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times
I'm dying to see what post-WWIII marriages will be like... we may find out soon enough.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:11 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This was not a recent conversation. This was years ago.
Nope, I never said that years ago either.

Quote:
I have a very good memory for this sort of thing
Looks like things got a little fuzzy for you in this case.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times
Quote:
How can you possibly know the true character of your potential spouse when they are posing? It happens a lot. Too much.

My point is that there are no guarantees in life. Not ever. Not with parents, marriage, children, jobs, neighbors.
That's one advantage of living together before marriage (which rarely was ever done before the 1960s "sexual revolution").

Hopefully any abusive or other "red-flag" behavior will become apparent when unwed couples experience each others' true sides (true colors) on both good and bad days.

In the 1960s, New York State required adultery as the only permissible grounds for divorce. The comedy movie "A Guide for the Married Man" shows a married man paying a photographer to take pictures of him in bed with a hooker, as evidence.

Young comedian Woody Allen in the 1960s, quipped, "The Ten Commandments say "Thou shalt not commit adultery. .... But New York state says you have to."

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-12-2022 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-12-2022, 04:11 PM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times
I believe adultery is a crime in the State of North Carolina so Woody's humor wouldn't be so humorous in The Tar Heel State.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:23 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
This thread is related to the Boomers and Pessimism thread in the Retirement forum.

I saw several different posts in the other thread about parents who had a positive outlook and took advantage of postwar prosperity and opportunities.

About 20 years ago I had the realization that in World War II almost every soldier had a girl at home waiting for him, and almost every girl had a guy she was waiting for to come home after the war.

What I also realized after talking to one of my father's brothers years ago is that my father didn't really love my mother. I think he liked her, and I think he liked her well enough to marry her. But I think thete was pressure to marry, generally speaking. As time went on he was increasingly unhappy and she was too, but they stuck it out because of "the age of non-divorce." Also, my father was a marriage and family therapist. He thought that it would hurt his career if he got divorced. So that had a lot of bearing on their attitude about "can do" and "can't do."

It seems to me that a lot of such marriages took place and everyone suffered for it to varying degrees.
My father served in WWII. He caught Malaria and spent time in a VA hospital and after that he and my mother married, he was 25 and she was 16. There were no jobs at that time in the foothills of the rural Appalachia mountains so dad had to go north to find work. Mom did not want to be left behind in fear of losing him so they went ahead and married. It was not uncommon to marry young at that time and there was not much other than marriage for women. I never actually asked but they seemed happy enough, my father more so than my mother, but they never considered divorce. I do believe they were very much in love when they married.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Well, the reason I quoted "reasons' is that people are now divorcing over rather petty things. Like a kid that gets bored of a new toys after few months and wants a new toy. People have likened their partners to that of a new model that you just simply get bored of after so long.
I dont think that is often true at all. Perhaps to an outsider trying to look in it may seem petty but there are usually deeper underlying issues going on. Divorce is always very difficult emotionally and certainly sets both back financially, it disrupts lives, it is painful. I dont believe may people go through that over petty things or boredom.

Old 03-14-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm going to be seeing my father in the next 2 weeks. I'm going to ask him about this issue. I think he's able and willing to talk about it now - the fact that he felt pressured to marry, the fact that he found out waaaay too late that my mother was emotionally and mentally ill (took him a long time to figure it out because she was a playacting extrovert).
You really should have that conversation. Both my parents passed and there are so many adult conversation I wish I had had with them. Now it is too late and I will never have the answers to some things I wish I knew about their lives.

Old 03-14-2022, 03:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
My parents went to school together and my mother waited for my dad when he served in WWII. They married in 1946 and she died 10 years ago today, 12 days after their 66th anniversary. Never saw two people more in love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships