Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 05:50 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My parents went to school together and my mother waited for my dad when he served in WWII. They married in 1946 and she died 10 years ago today, 12 days after their 66th anniversary. Never saw two people more in love.
Yeah, figure that one out, this is a rarity..."death due us part" is a pipe dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 08:54 AM

439 posts, read 424,099 times
Quote:
My parents went to school together and my mother waited for my dad when he served in WWII. They married in 1946 and she died 10 years ago today, 12 days after their 66th anniversary. Never saw two people more in love.
I love this.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:19 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
It is wonderful to see and hear of couples like this. I am glad to see some of my school mates, friends and family who have remained married and in love all these years.

I recall an elderly couple many years ago when I was young that came into the restaurant where I worked about once a week. He would open the door and pull her chair out for her. You could tell by looking at them how they still loved one another. One day he came in alone as she had died. It was not a week later that he died also.
I believe my paternal grandparents were that much in love throughout their marriage. My grandmother died in 1978 from the swine flu vaccination and my grandfather the following year. There was nothing medically wrong with him. I believe with her gone he had nothing to live for.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:26 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,656,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is wonderful to see and hear of couples like this. I am glad to see some of my school mates, friends and family who have remained married and in love all these years.

I recall an elderly couple many years ago when I was young that came into the restaurant where I worked about once a week. He would open the door and pull her chair out for her. You could tell by looking at them how they still loved one another. One day he came in alone as she had died. It was not a week later that he died also.
I believe my paternal grandparents were that much in love throughout their marriage. My grandmother died in 1978 from the swine flu vaccination and my grandfather the following year. There was nothing medically wrong with him. I believe with her gone he had nothing to live for.
My maternal grandparents were the same. Married almost 60 years.

My grandmother died three months to the day after my grandfather died.

I stayed with her for a month after his death, she kept saying "I just want to be where he is."

Old 03-17-2022, 10:43 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
My maternal grandparents were the same. Married almost 60 years.

My grandmother died three months to the day after my grandfather died.

I stayed with her for a month after his death, she kept saying "I just want to be where he is."
It is sad and sweet at the same time and a testimony of true and forever love.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:58 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,096,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
I'm dying to see what post-WWIII marriages will be like... we may find out soon enough.
There will be none. WWIII with likely involvement of nuclear weapons will probably make humanity extinct...

Old 03-18-2022, 01:43 PM

1,702 posts, read 786,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
There will be none. WWIII with likely involvement of nuclear weapons will probably make humanity extinct...
Countries can wage conventional war without using nukes, even though they have them, because of the understanding that using them would mean an extinction level event.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:19 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
My parents met a few years after WWII and married in 1949.

He lost his lower legs in the war and walked on artificial legs. She had heard about him because they were from the same small town, but she was 7 years younger. Her best friend was engaged to to his best friend, and they were set up on a double date. Married at 20 and 27. I am the fourth of their seven kids.

They were married for 50 years before Dad died of a heart attack. Mom died a little more than 20 years later.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:14 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My parents met a few years after WWII and married in 1949.

He lost his lower legs in the war and walked on artificial legs. She had heard about him because they were from the same small town, but she was 7 years younger. Her best friend was engaged to to his best friend, and they were set up on a double date. Married at 20 and 27. I am the fourth of their seven kids.

They were married for 50 years before Dad died of a heart attack. Mom died a little more than 20 years later.
So, did she have any standards in looking for a future partner/spouse? Or did they only marry because her best friend got married...all around the same time?

Old 03-19-2022, 05:48 AM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You should rethink the epiphany you had twenty years ago. Of all my aunts and uncles who served in WWII, only one has anything close to a relationship during the war. All the rest met and married their spouses several years after the war.
Same with my family. They all married someone they met after the war. That is why many of the men were in their 30' and 40's when they had kids. By the time they met a woman, decided to get married, got married, and then had kids, they were late 30's and early 40's when they had the last kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships