Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 08:58 PM

122 posts, read 105,448 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend and I started dating in September, and we're both grad students at the same school. We each have our own 1 bedroom apartments. During the fall, we started staying at each other's places really often. And it was the sort of thing where we were constantly moving groceries between places every other week, to spend one week at my place, then one week at his, etc. Eventually we just kind of started staying at his place full time in like early February/late January.

I've felt fine about our arrangement for the most part, and it makes even more sense now that we are fostering a dog and I'm the one who wakes up early to walk her. We split the cost of groceries for the most part, though he does tend to get things that I definitely won't be eating, and I do buy my own stuff. I do not help pay his rent or utilities though. Something I do want to mention here is that my boyfriend's parents pay his rent, while I pay my own rent, and we get the same stipend from our school each month. So I guess one reason I haven't felt that bad about not splitting rent is he knows I'm paying my own rent and that I just generally am more financially strained then him.

But today he was looking over his credit card bill and got kind of stressed about it and I realized there were some grocery and restaurant trips that I didn't split evenly with him. I Venmoed him after doing the calculations for what I owed, but then idk I have just been filled with this anxiety that I'm mooching off him. He didn't say anything suggesting he wants me to leave. But if I didn't have my own rent to pay I know I would be insisting to split the rent. IDK with the dog now I really can't just leave, and I definitely can't afford to pay 1 and a half rents. Our leases aren't up until July, which is when we plan to get a place together, but idk if I can continue feeling all this guilt until then.

Thoughts? I know I'm largely doing this to myself, and growing up in a financially insecure family has definitely made me very anxious about money. Am I being a mooch? Should I just move back to my place and give the dog back to the shelter (we haven't adopted, we are just fostering)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 09:51 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
This the individual?

I (24F) can't tell if my boyfriend (24M) is making my social life better or worse

If so, clearly this is a relationship that doesn't seem to have a promising future with both parties resenting each other. It is time to move on.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:53 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,716,751 times
Girl....wtf.....

You need friends....and a life. ASAP.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:25 PM

What? I have plenty of friends? What is so WTF about this post?

Old 03-12-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This the individual?

I (24F) can't tell if my boyfriend (24M) is making my social life better or worse

If so, clearly this is a relationship that doesn't seem to have a promising future with both parties resenting each other. It is time to move on.
He doesn't resent me? I don't resent him? We both have tons of friends now and our social lives our great. That post was largely a result of my own anxiety.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:02 AM

579 posts, read 319,612 times
Ok everything is great. Why so many threads about this relationship?

Imo, not that you would do it, is you go live at your apt and just see the bf when you can and try to have some breathing space to be you.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:19 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,508 times
Have you two sat down and discussed finances? If not, you need to, and before you officially move in together. If that’s too scary for you, you all shouldn’t move in together. Adult decisions require adult conversations.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:31 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Let him stay at your apartment some. Keep your balance.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:33 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Move to your own apartment.
He can move in there. Bring the foster pup.
No skin off his nose. He can tell his parents of his change in residency.
No way in heckiedoodles would I as a parent front my adult son's relationship.
Glad you are aware of some of your shared responsibility.
Sit down and be clear what each of you will contribute. Appreciate each other.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:10 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisthelove96 View Post
So my boyfriend and I started dating in September, and we're both grad students at the same school. We each have our own 1 bedroom apartments. During the fall, we started staying at each other's places really often. And it was the sort of thing where we were constantly moving groceries between places every other week, to spend one week at my place, then one week at his, etc. Eventually we just kind of started staying at his place full time in like early February/late January.

I've felt fine about our arrangement for the most part, and it makes even more sense now that we are fostering a dog and I'm the one who wakes up early to walk her. We split the cost of groceries for the most part, though he does tend to get things that I definitely won't be eating, and I do buy my own stuff. I do not help pay his rent or utilities though. Something I do want to mention here is that my boyfriend's parents pay his rent, while I pay my own rent, and we get the same stipend from our school each month. So I guess one reason I haven't felt that bad about not splitting rent is he knows I'm paying my own rent and that I just generally am more financially strained then him.

But today he was looking over his credit card bill and got kind of stressed about it and I realized there were some grocery and restaurant trips that I didn't split evenly with him. I Venmoed him after doing the calculations for what I owed, but then idk I have just been filled with this anxiety that I'm mooching off him. He didn't say anything suggesting he wants me to leave. But if I didn't have my own rent to pay I know I would be insisting to split the rent. IDK with the dog now I really can't just leave, and I definitely can't afford to pay 1 and a half rents. Our leases aren't up until July, which is when we plan to get a place together, but idk if I can continue feeling all this guilt until then.

Thoughts? I know I'm largely doing this to myself, and growing up in a financially insecure family has definitely made me very anxious about money. Am I being a mooch? Should I just move back to my place and give the dog back to the shelter (we haven't adopted, we are just fostering)?
Judging from all that you've told us about your boyfriend, I don't think that moving in together is a very good idea for the two of you. It's going to intensify every single issue that you've brought up here and make it that much more difficult to extricate yourselves from a relationship that has every sign of not being one that's meant to be.

When it comes to the dog, with you both being grad students, that's a lot more to have taken onto already very full plates. Once the dog has found a permanent home with others, bowing out of fostering would be a wise thing to do.

Also, why the heck would you even consider splitting the rent with your boyfriend just because you stay over there as often as you do? That's ridiculous to even consider it. Go back to your own place. The two of you need to have some long and detailed conversations about just what moving in together would entail. If you can't have adult conversations, you have no business living together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships