Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,276,194 times

Advertisements

Tell her to get over it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,975,913 times
I know something you could do to make her even more disturbed: show her all these responses to your question! Ok, that wouldn't exactly be helpful and I'm not suggesting you do it, but it would sure show her what a bunch of unrelated strangers think about the situation.

While I don't suggest doing the above, I do want to reiterate that you should definitely be proud of yourselves for being able to actually buy the house . Have fun decorating, moving in and making it your own!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,825,259 times
She sounds like a controlling shrew........... I wouldn't worry about making peace with her right now. The ball is in her court to make up with you.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,385,435 times
WOW, your MIL sounds like a real drama queen. Personally I would want to mess with her. Tell her that out of the clear blue someone came and offered you a bundle for your house and that your moving back to PA and see how she likes them apples.

Its stories like this that make me glad to NOT be married. I tried it twice and both men had idiot, drama queen Mothers. I feel for you. You won't change her, no doubt the men in her life have just stood back and allowed her to get away with such childish behavior.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,294,077 times
Go to the nearest bookstore and get a copy of 'Toxic Parents' by Dr. Susan Forward..
might be the best $7.99 you ever spent...

Old 05-21-2008, 06:17 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,425,567 times
Wow! That's really weird. It's not like it's her house. Now, if you were buying this house for her and had never told her about it, then sure, be mad. But, it's your house. It doesn't really involve her. She sounds like an egotist (hope that's the correct word). Anyway, I hope for your whole family's sake that time will cure this. I'll even hope that some day she'll realize how silly she has been and laughs at herself. I'm sending you some happy, positive thoughts your way and am thanking my lucky stars for having such wonderful in-laws.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,650,378 times
If she doesn't want to talk to you, then don't. She will eventually come around, I would not even attempt to contact her. She wants to act like a baby, fine. Make her come to you. I have inlaws similar to this, we did not talk to them for almost a year, they finally came around. I won't beg anyone who starts a (situation) than thinks we should be the ones to make all nicey nicey.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,619,881 times
Is this behavior normal for your mil? I mean, has she always been dramatic or very 'me' centered? If so, do your best to shrug it off.......you know what she is like, and it doesn't relfect on you or your dh.

On the other hand, if she has been a perfectly lovely and sane person before this, then if I were you I would try to understand why your mil is so hurt....I don't believe she is angry. Maybe she wanted to go through the process of looking at houses with you (my sister and I love looking at houses with my niece)....who knows? But clearly she was hurt and it would be incombant upon you to find out why.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 PM

314 posts, read 718,348 times
Okay this response is coming from a current MIL and a former DIL-the decision to buy the house was yours and your DH--making it YOUR news to share. The attitude you are getting from you MIL is strange beyond words-did I see she said conspiracy? What, to make her happy by keeping her son and grandchildren nearby? Please, someone enact this type of conspiracy on me! She is over the top in her response and needs some time and room to work thru whatever is her real issue. If it is truly that someone else knew first she has an amazing belief in her own importance! Enjoy your knew home and have fun making it your own. IF [and only if] you are feeling generous you could ask her to help you pick out some new items to decorate with to pull her into the process. On the other hand, you could just enjoy your vacation from her demands. I would be torn which way to go...

Best to you enjoy your new home.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM

603 posts, read 2,355,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Is this behavior normal for your mil? I mean, has she always been dramatic or very 'me' centered? If so, do your best to shrug it off.......you know what she is like, and it doesn't relfect on you or your dh.

On the other hand, if she has been a perfectly lovely and sane person before this, then if I were you I would try to understand why your mil is so hurt....I don't believe she is angry. Maybe she wanted to go through the process of looking at houses with you (my sister and I love looking at houses with my niece)....who knows? But clearly she was hurt and it would be incombant upon you to find out why.

Yes, I agree. If this is uncharacteristic for her, maybe you can explore her feelings together and get to the bottom of it. Life's too short to let these things muster.

If this is not out of character, I would just blow her off and be happy with your new home. If she wants to share in your happiness, great, but don't coddle her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships