Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 08:38 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Seemed like the op wanted companionship.

You can get that from a roommate
Who wants a roommate (or a spouse) for companionship i.e. why such an illogical/drastic measure, lol? What about the obvious - simply keep dating and/or move-in together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 02:24 AM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,421 times
I will not marry again. One day, I will live with someone where there is a great friendship and much love between us. Something where we keep choosing each other day after day, over and over again. Not because a piece of paper says we have to.

Old 05-30-2022, 02:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,717,577 times
If I'm never in a situation where myself and someone else are naturally mutually attracted to one another and can move at the same pace, I will stay single. No ifs ands or buts. But I also understand that everybody's love path is not the same. Some people fall in love over time, some fall in love instantly, some never fall in love, so on and so forth. All paths are valid. Do what is best for you.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:15 AM

402 posts, read 273,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t think you’re taking into account the majority of people who use ‘swipes’ i.e. Tinder are under 25. Obviously, the process for a casual relationship is different than those who seek commitment of some sort or ‘courtly love’ as you call it.
Tinder is useless even for above average-looking guys like me in my experience. I've dated more women from Fb groups than from Tinder. Women at least here seem to only use it to fish IG followers or/and get validation by the likes. They're not serious even for casual dating. Tinder is a waste of time, better luck dating in real life, just go to a bar or even better - a night club.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:03 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Have you or would you marry someone you don't love so you can have some stability and a companion?
Certainly not. That's crazy.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:22 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Have you or would you marry someone you don't love so you can have some stability and a companion?
I have heard it said a few times that you should marry the person who loves you, not the person you love. Ideally it’s both ways. But I see the logic behind it.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

As usual, you go right to the heart of the matter. Wonderful. So many different types of love.

Youthful passion.

Middle age contentment.

Older peace.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:23 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomektomek View Post
What about courtly love? Why didn't social media bring that and reduced dating to swipes like a catalog of six workers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t think you’re taking into account the majority of people who use ‘swipes’ i.e. Tinder are under 25. Obviously, the process for a casual relationship is different than those who seek commitment of some sort or ‘courtly love’ as you call it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomektomek View Post
Tinder is useless even for above average-looking guys like me in my experience. I've dated more women from Fb groups than from Tinder.
Who you date (or how you connect) is missing the point re: the drastic/illogical measure of marrying someone you don’t love, per the thread. It’s absolutely nonsensical at best; manipulative, desperate, cold and calculated at worst.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 06-06-2022 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-07-2022, 03:19 PM

402 posts, read 273,578 times
^I agree. /thread basically

Old 06-09-2022, 09:52 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,013,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
I haven't had one since college but when my wife had a roommate as a young professional working person they more or less ignored each other.
From my personal experience most of the women I know haven’t had luck living with other women. One of my closest cousins can be INCREDIBLY chill, but the only college roomie she got along with was the random girl they assigned her to live with freshman year. Every friend she made and decided to move in with, had the friendship fall completely apart. While my cousin is incredibly outgoing, and generally speaking respectful…her and her friends simply couldn’t make rooming together work long term.

My wife was in the same boat. Numerous friends during college where they’d get the bright idea to move in together…within a year, they were at each other’s throats, or simply ignoring one another as they moved through life. My wife always struggled to make and maintain friendships, so I associated some of that with her general personality. But, at the same time, just didn’t seem like good relationships were happening.

My other female friends in college were along the same lines, struggles with maintaining friendships while also sharing a space.

Now, regarding me and all of male friends. There were a couple who just learned they didn’t like someone after spending tons of time around them. But for the most part, folks remained friends even to this day. I have several college roomies who I visit on my travels, and who will visit me when they come into town, and often it feels like we haven’t missed a beat…even though life has moved on by nearly twenty years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships