Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 04:29 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I am mid-forties. I am going to give it another five years. I’m going to consistently stay on the apps, date, date, date, go everywhere I can think of to go, attend every meetup and social activity I can physically find the energy, money and time to attend. I’m going to work hard on my weight, fitness, hair, clothing, and appearance. I am going to give it my all. If nothing happens in the next five years - I’m going to get with my doctor and get on a good strong antidepressant to kill off my libido and hopefully it will kill my desire for a partner as well. Maybe I can just accept and grieve the loss of never finding my person and move on. Hopefully an antidepressant will take the edge off of the pain.
Its possible you just haven't met the right person yet, so I would encourage you to keep dating, for sure, if your desire is there.

I really do think for some people, its not that they are flawed in some way, there are just other reasons they haven't met that person yet. Maybe its location, luck, or just slim pickings.

I completely agree with your plan to keep at it. I just have a feeling your person is out there. That which you are seeking is also seeking you.

Old 04-09-2022, 04:39 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Do people actually enjoy sex outside of a committed relationship?
I did not. I was married 17 years the first time, cheated and did not enjoy it.
This time I have been married 31 years and have not cheated, although I was asked once outright and have had several "close passes". My answer is no.
Man. 76 years old.

Old 04-09-2022, 04:42 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
I am mid-forties. I am going to give it another five years. I’m going to consistently stay on the apps, date, date, date, go everywhere I can think of to go, attend every meetup and social activity I can physically find the energy, money and time to attend. I’m going to work hard on my weight, fitness, hair, clothing, and appearance. I am going to give it my all. If nothing happens in the next five years - I’m going to get with my doctor and get on a good strong antidepressant to kill off my libido and hopefully it will kill my desire for a partner as well. Maybe I can just accept and grieve the loss of never finding my person and move on. Hopefully an antidepressant will take the edge off of the pain.
That's not actually what anti-depressants do. My libido increased noticeably when my depression was treated. I took medication for 8 years, then weaned off.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:42 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,900 times
Yes. Very.

But it has to be while being single.
I do not condone cheating and I imagine the guilt would not only ruin the trust in the relationship, but also the possible enjoyment.
However the few times when I was single that it did happen, it was fun, exciting and overall very nice experiences.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:40 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,182,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's not actually what anti-depressants do. My libido increased noticeably when my depression was treated. I took medication for 8 years, then weaned off.
Some of them do destroy libido. It is a very common side effect and complaint. I would just have to experiment and find the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I really do think for some people, its not that they are flawed in some way, there are just other reasons they haven't met that person yet. Maybe its location, luck, or just slim pickings.
For me, I am 100% certain there is something wrong with me, as strongly evidenced by my consistent experience and consistent feedback/response from men over a period of decades - from teens to mid-40s. Not to mention the endless parade of narcissists I managed to attract. There is something I’m doing to repel men, but I haven’t figured it out yet. That is the other thing I am really hoping I can achieve over the next few years - find my person, and finally crack the code to figure out how to fix or get rid of whatever this unknown thing is, and be able to attract men like my friends and family members do. But like I said - I’m giving it another five years.

Old 04-09-2022, 06:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,396,565 times
Quote:
Okay...well, don't get bupropion (Wellbutrin) - it has no negative side effects on libido or the ability to orgasm and is actually energizing rather than "sedating".

Old 04-09-2022, 07:29 PM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
It's amazing to me that a society that is so terrified of Covid would at the same time hop in bed with someone you know nothing about in any regard. One in five people have an STD.

Carry on.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:54 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,543,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
It's amazing to me that a society that is so terrified of Covid would at the same time hop in bed with someone you know nothing about in any regard. One in five people have an STD.

Carry on.
That reminds me of the joke that people will give one another oral sex but refuse to eat a bruised banana.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:53 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Carry on.
LOL "Society." Who are you actually talking about? Friends and family?

No one here has admitted to or condoned hopping into bed with someone they know nothing about.

Try to expand your perspective a bit and you might see that there are intimate relationships that are not traditionally committed for life.

Also socializing is safe as it can be when one is vaccinated and community spread is low. Are you still hiding from people?

Old 04-10-2022, 11:39 AM

52,306 posts, read 52,756,330 times
Quote:
This post struck me as really pretty sad sounding.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.