Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,796,393 times

Advertisements

Public policy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It sounds like the guy was trying to do the right thing, and I feel for him, but as every judge will tell you, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse!!" You don't get a break for trying to do the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
Oh, puhleeze... a 13 YO may not look 13, but she doesn't look 18. And she sure as hell doesn't act 18..... excuses, excuses.....

Old 05-24-2008, 09:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Oh, puhleeze... a 13 YO may not look 13, but she doesn't look 18. And she sure as hell doesn't act 18..... excuses, excuses.....

Exactly. I look at her photo and she does not look over 15-16 to me. I am sure as soon as she opens her mouth she seems even younger.

It's just a convenient excuse for the man...well she said she was 18.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:48 AM

3,490 posts, read 8,198,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
It's just a convenient excuse for the man...well she said she was 18.

I understand what you are saying, BUT if a potential date tells you that they are 18 then you should be able to rely on that information (especially if the lie is documented - on Myspace/ dating site, etc).
If that turns out to be incorrect, then the punishment should be on the person who lied, not the person who was duped.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:03 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,288,371 times
Quote:
I totally agree

Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 AM

384 posts, read 1,705,506 times
Quote:
Yeah I guess that's also true for the 40 year olds that looks 50 and acts 15 and the 40 year olds that looks 25 but acts 50. Yeah so I guess you're right we all do look and act our ages.

I was once one of those teenagers who definitely did NOT look my age and acted more responsibly for my age than was expected of someone my age. I was able to get into clubs and bars without having being questioned about my age. As is true for the many teenagers who are forced to work and help support their families, they definitely can act mature for their ages.

I have seen even today with the provocative clothing and fully developed bodies that these girls wear, many many of these young teenagers can fool a lot of people. So don't believe it is impossible, even the news station that covered the news once they reviewed all the girls pictures posted online agreed that the young man could have been easily fooled to believe this girl was the age she claimed to be.

But then again, some of you don't see where the parents are at fault nor should the girl be punished for her actions. Let's hope and pray that neither you nor a loved one falls into that trap. We can never see an innocent person's view until we fall into that trap ourselves.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 AM

72 posts, read 438,794 times
I'd just have them bring some kinda ID when I went to go meet them. Some folks may get offended by that, but, you know, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I also think the parents & the child should be held responsible. The child is the one deceiving people & misbehaving & the parents are allowing that kind of behavior AND are neglecting the child(ren). If they were any kind of parent, they'd be monitoring their child's online activity & stuff very carefully, just so crap like this doesn't happen!!!

I would slap a huge fine on the kid, make them register as a sex offender, lock them up in a straight jacket in juvie for a few months & when they get out, put them on strict probation. While the kid was in juvie, I'd send the parents to some kind of "how to parent" classes & internet security classes, or depending on the severity of the case, I'd just flat out take the kid(s) away from them, because if they're gonna raise little skanky liars that ruin people's lives, they don't deserve to have kids at all

Last edited by Aconitum; 05-26-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,703,015 times
I was lied to by an underage girl, when we had a fender bender, several years ago. Kids lie because they are afraid of getting caught being curious, exploring, or doing things they KNOW they aren't supposed to do. They lie because they hope they will get caught. What I don't understand is why supposedly adult people would search for dating partners on-line. Writing is mostly fiction, even the so called truthful journalistic stuff is not very reliable anymore, and I find it incredibly naive to think that you could just hook up with a total stranger that you met online.

We do not live in a culture of trust, we live in a culture where those in power of the laws think it is stupid to trust and that people who trust are fair game. Sadly, this ethic has gotten passed on to many children as well.

Both sides of my family and my inlaws are reasonably normal, as was I, and I can tell you all of us have been caught lying. People lie, and the ones who say they don't lie are just the worst--they lie to themselves, the scariest of all.

If you want to trust someone you have to put some time into it, establish a community base, and that is hard in this society. Make connections, not just contacts on the internet.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:18 PM

521 posts, read 1,623,599 times
Yes teenaged girls lie about their age.
If I even see a girl who may look too young step into my house, say for a party or with one of my roomates, I immediately ask for ID. Anyone under 18 gets kicked out immediately. My roomates know this. I do the same thing with girls I meet anywhere that look young.

The last time something like this happened about 3 or 4 young girls came into the house. I guess a friend of a friend invited them over. I asked them for ID and they acted stupid like they didnt have any. So I kicked them out with an attitude. Told them to come back when they are over 18. I never risk statutory rape at my place.

Just the way things are, and the way they are meant to be. The law does not forgive statutory rape. Even if she "looked" old enough. The statutory rape law is meant to instil vigilance in those that we chose to hook up with. If your negligent about it, then you may have screwed yourself.
But I do admit, that there are shady areas where it probably shouldnt be statutory rape. Such as if the girl lied about her age, and presented fake ID that shows she was old enough.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,912,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Yes teenaged girls lie about their age.
If I even see a girl who may look too young step into my house, say for a party or with one of my roomates, I immediately ask for ID. Anyone under 18 gets kicked out immediately. My roomates know this. I do the same thing with girls I meet anywhere that look young.

The last time something like this happened about 3 or 4 young girls came into the house. I guess a friend of a friend invited them over. I asked them for ID and they acted stupid like they didnt have any. So I kicked them out with an attitude. Told them to come back when they are over 18. I never risk statutory rape at my place.

Just the way things are, and the way they are meant to be. The law does not forgive statutory rape. Even if she "looked" old enough. The statutory rape law is meant to instil vigilance in those that we chose to hook up with. If your negligent about it, then you may have screwed yourself.
But I do admit, that there are shady areas where it probably shouldnt be statutory rape. Such as if the girl lied about her age, and presented fake ID that shows she was old enough.
Good God, am I glad I wasn't born here...

Nothing personal, wesside. Just reading this makes me sick. I know you're protecting your rear end and it's totally understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships