Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 08:01 PM

334 posts, read 263,647 times

Advertisements

Hi all:
I'm looking for opinions/experience related to expectations one should have when starting an online relationship.
I met a man online who appears to be very compatible with me and we've been getting acquainted from a distance daily through texts and long phone calls (sometimes twice a day) on a daily basis. We're both the same age (retirement age) and both have health issues that limit our ability to travel long distances, but we will meet halfway later this year, hopefully. In the meantime, we are very happy and getting closer every day.

It seems very whirlwind in nature, almost like we're beginning a very serious relationship. He tells me he is crazy about me and says it's been a long time, if ever, since he has felt this way. He even asked me to be in a relationship with him and I said yes. Many of the conversations we've had center around future possibilities like cohabitation, our finances, etc. He has also sent me multiple pictures of his family--present and deceased as well as telling me he told his brother all about me and how happy his brother is that he found someone.
All good so far, albeit a little fast and maybe premature since we haven't met.

Now comes the worrisome part. Sometimes he appears distracted during texts and I end up just ending the text. Similarly, he will beg off calling me on a Friday or Saturday evening, texting me around 6 or so that he is tired and he is going to bed early. Last weekend he was particularly distant which prompted me to take a look at a dating site he told me he used in the past. Unfortunately, a search led me to his profile which not only was active but he was online using the service. Yikes! Shortly after he texted me and asked to call me.
I watched the screen as his status changed from "active" as he left the site. So yes, it's an active profle and he was on using it. I felt pretty awful.

I didn't confront him, after all--we haven't even met, and we aren't married or engaged! But he treats me like a serious relationship, and I have developed feelings for him, and I thought, by what he says he did also.
I did ask him about his past experience at that site during the conversation that day and when asked how long ago he was on it, he said a few years ago. I asked if he had used it since, just for fun and he said no.
I asked him further if he thought we should agree to not see others until we meet and decide what's next and he agreed. Since that conversation, he has been on that dating site every day. I'm not stalking him---I just check his profile and it says the last time he was active.

So, my feeling is if we were very casual and haven't met yet, his use of the dating site is reasonable but given the intensity of our connection (that he seems to initiate), his use of the dating site AND his lying about it is a huge red flag.
Not sure how to handle this. I sincerely like him a lot and hoped we would be a real-life couple but now I'm afraid I've connected with a man who will break my heart.

Any advice is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 08:08 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Long distance combined with serious doubts already? Back away. You haven’t met. You don’t know this guy at all.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:25 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Reality check. He is not treating you like a serious relationship because he is still on the dating site.

How were your relationships in the past? Were they good ones? Because I can't imagine why you think this is a real relationship, or why trying to have a long distance relationship is a good thing. You are retirement age. You should know how to weed out the undesirables by now.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:49 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
He is a liar and that’s a no go for me personally.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:33 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times
I want to know how so many people here are meeting people online that they are falling head over heels for.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:58 PM

627 posts, read 295,641 times
He might want a relationship with you but, he also wants a relationship with his profile.

What else is he lying about or could he lie about in the future after you really are in a relationship? Are you willing to turn the other way, etc.?

Old 08-09-2022, 10:14 PM

GoAmerica---I'm not head over heels.....I like him...period. I'm just concerned over the lying.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 PM

MercedesBoy......I'm having a hard time with this. I can't understand how he can spend the amount of time he does with me day to day and still need to check out the dating site and maybe be meeting people locally. Maybe he is covering himself in case this doesn't pan out. He has described being rejected from his past dating site experiences or just seeing some of the dates 1 or 2 times. He said I might meet him and he won't be my cup of tea. What also bothered me is when I was asking questions, he said I sounded insecure....which seemed like a way to get me to back off or make me feel foolish or jealous.
No--I just like to put my cards on the table.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:44 PM

627 posts, read 295,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
MercedesBoy......I'm having a hard time with this. I can't understand how he can spend the amount of time he does with me day to day and still need to check out the dating site and maybe be meeting people locally. Maybe he is covering himself in case this doesn't pan out. He has described being rejected from his past dating site experiences or just seeing some of the dates 1 or 2 times. He said I might meet him and he won't be my cup of tea. What also bothered me is when I was asking questions, he said I sounded insecure....which seemed like a way to get me to back off or make me feel foolish or jealous.
No--I just like to put my cards on the table.
"Insecure?"
Sounds like he's trying to throw it back at you like it's your fault--when he is the one who is fooling around with his profile. Like I said, he might actually want a relationship with you but, he has already shown he is not to be trusted. If you do linkup, just be prepared for some unexpected bombshells throughout your relationship. Trust me, being active on his profile when he says he isn't, is just the tip of the iceberg. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Reality check. He is not treating you like a serious relationship because he is still on the dating site.
Reality check. They never have had a date and have no relationship. Just idle chattering with a rando online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
MercedesBoy......I'm having a hard time with this. I can't understand how he can spend the amount of time he does with me day to day and still need to check out the dating site and maybe be meeting people locally. .
You should be doing the same thing. Trying to meet people locally and actually having a date. It's kind of the entire point of dating sites.
What this is here is a modern version of a pen pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships