Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 10:28 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,778,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Yeah, well, that's all good and fine but reality seems to always be knocking on the door... meaning most people -
including those family, friends, coworkers, neighbors - now are Extremely Online (Pat. Pend.) and therefore take their cues from what is 'cool' in the Extreme Online (Pat. Pend. again) universe.
Maybe in your social circles. That's really foreign to me.

I don't have anyone in my life who is "extremely online." No one I know personally who comes close to being an influencer or who even uses social media for anything other than checking in on friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 10:39 AM

1,483 posts, read 687,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Maybe in your social circles. That's really foreign to me.

I don't have anyone in my life who is "extremely online." No one I know personally who comes close to being an influencer or who even uses social media for anything other than checking in on friends.
Nothing at all about being an 'influencer' but there are many who would go bananas if they didn't get their online 'fix'.

One person I know personally... he had better have a solid therapist lined up all suited and ready to play if the internet goes buh-bye because he will probably explode if he's denied his memes, YouTube, never-ending repertoire of corny jokes, etc. And this dude's older than I am AND he doesn't do Fakebook.

Sad. Just sad, all around.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Nothing at all about being an 'influencer' but there are many who would go bananas if they didn't get their online 'fix'.

One person I know personally... he had better have a solid therapist lined up all suited and ready to play if the internet goes buh-bye because he will probably explode if he's denied his memes, YouTube, never-ending repertoire of corny jokes, etc. And this dude's older than I am AND he doesn't do Fakebook.

Sad. Just sad, all around.
That may be the case with this individual. Do you know lots of others like him, or is he the exception? Because again, it may be the circles you run in. That level of Internet addiction is far from common, just another manifestation of OCD, ASD, or addiction which come in a variety of packages. Maybe just try to love and accept him without too much judgement.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
That may be the case with this individual. Do you know lots of others like him, or is he the exception? Because again, it may be the circles you run in. That level of Internet addiction is far from common, just another manifestation of OCD, ASD, or addiction which come in a variety of packages. Maybe just try to love and accept him without too much judgement.
Sorry, should've elaborated a bit: a work colleague. And there's a lot of that mess in my place of work. Certainly not the sort I would run around with - I don't have a 'social circle' to begin with. Think of me as the Marlboro Man but fem and without the hat, horse, wrinkles, and smokes. LOL

Love and accept? LOL... I 'tolerate' him in small doses.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry, should've elaborated a bit: a work colleague. And there's a lot of that mess in my place of work.
So why are you following him on social media? Just stop doing that and you'll never know how much or what he is constantly posting. And then there will be one less person to judge.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
So why are you following him on social media? Just stop doing that and you'll never know how much or what he is constantly posting. And then there will be one less person to judge.
I don't follow him on social media, as I said, he is a work colleague... and, unfortunately, due to the 'necessity' of things like the internet, email, chats, etc. I and others in the organization are many times on the receiving end of memes, videos, stupid 'Dad' jokes, and so forth that have zip to do with business.

I mean, come on, it is kinda-sorta ridiculous for a dude of nearly 60 carrying on like he's in the 8th grade.

Oh, I *did* say that he doesn't do Facebook, right? Or did I...

Last edited by Euskalherria; 08-11-2022 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-11-2022, 01:06 PM

5,694 posts, read 3,197,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I see a lot of people that may think a bad boy is someone that for example has lots of tattoos, maybe gets in troube, drives a motorcycle and acts impulsively.. A “bad girl” also has lots of tattoos, maybe has a potty and dresses with a lot of skin showing, attitude, etc

But is this really “bad”? Maybe “bad” is stuff like grinding out a nice retirement account, owning a home, eating healthy and just being a “normie” that plans ahead with foresight? That stuff takes will power. Acting impulsively is something that is pretty easy for anyone to do.

This is just something I’ve thought about when it comes to what some people find attractive in the dating world.
You know...I've read this thread all the way through so far, and I think it's important to point out that there ARE 'bad' people, in the truest sense of the word, and there ARE people who are attracted to that for various reasons...none of them healthy. The people who are attracted to that are enablers, and they respond like flowers to the sun, and it's all an effed up mess. (By the way, I drop F bombs with frequency.)

The 'bad' is on the inside, like a rotten apple. A tattoo is not indicative of 'bad'. A motorcycle is not indicative of 'bad'.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I don't follow him on social media, as I said, he is a work colleague... and, unfortunately, due to the 'necessity' of things like the internet, email, chats, etc. I and others in the organization are many times on the receiving end of memes, videos, stupid 'Dad' jokes, and so forth that have zip to do with business.

I mean, come on, it is kinda-sorta ridiculous for a dude of nearly 60 carrying on like he's in the 8th grade.
It is ridiculous, but obviously he is lacking in social skills if he's been told this behavior is unwelcome and he continues. But really it's more that your workplace is ridiculous if that sort of behavior is accepted by management. The more you talk about him the more he sounds like an extreme outlier, so not really a great example for this thread or your earlier statement the "most people" with Internet access act like this.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
You know...I've read this thread all the way through so far, and I think it's important to point out that there ARE 'bad' people, in the truest sense of the word, and there ARE people who are attracted to that for various reasons...none of them healthy. The people who are attracted to that are enablers, and they respond like flowers to the sun, and it's all an effed up mess. (By the way, I drop F bombs with frequency.)

The 'bad' is on the inside, like a rotten apple. A tattoo is not indicative of 'bad'. A motorcycle is not indicative of 'bad'.
Yes, but the funny thing about 'rot' is that, sooner or later', it finds its way to the surface. Yes, a motorcycle by itself isn't 'bad', but the motorcycle can be part of a larger picture that *may* include 'bad' things such as criminal behavior - as a true crime 'junkie', I have a rather dim view of biker 'culture', look up Amy Billig's abduction as an example. Or Gus Hoffman's abduction/torture/murder for another.

Same thing with tats. Sure, not 'bad' in of themselves BUT *may be* indicative of 'bad' things when looked at in totality. Gang membership, for one. See: Hawt Mugshot Dude as an example.

And the more tats, the worse it is IMO. Not a world that I care for, just as my world is a world that very few care for. They judge me and I judge them... and I sleep easy at night.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:39 PM

5,694 posts, read 3,197,486 times
Quote:
Yes, but the funny thing about 'rot' is that, sooner or later', it finds its way to the surface. Yes, a motorcycle by itself isn't 'bad', but the motorcycle can be part of a larger picture that *may* include 'bad' things such as criminal behavior - as a true crime 'junkie', I have a rather dim view of biker 'culture', look up Amy Billig's abduction as an example. Or Gus Hoffman's abduction/torture/murder for another.

Same thing with tats. Sure, not 'bad' in of themselves BUT *may be* indicative of 'bad' things when looked at in totality. Gang membership, for one. See: Hawt Mugshot Dude as an example.

And the more tats, the worse it is IMO. Not a world that I care for, just as my world is a world that very few care for. They judge me and I judge them... and I sleep easy at night.
Your experience sounds limited. I'm guessing you're not one of those old people, like I am.

I know a guy...one of the nicest guys I've ever met, who is full-sleeves tatted. Some amazing artwork actually. He's a Heating and Air guy, good union job, has a private plane, and a nice cabin in rural Missouri, owns his own home, is a loving dad to a teenager, AAANNNNDDD he has a Harley.

He's a total sweetheart and kind natured, and if he wasn't just recently married, I'd totally recommend him to ANY woman, including my daughters, if I had daughters. He is most definitely a "good guy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships