Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times

Advertisements

My husband can't count! He can't do simple math. Mind you, he has a PhD in Engineering, yet can't figure out how to tip. He could probably do complex equations in his head, but 2 + 2 doesn't equate. He just pulled $1000 out of our checking account in Japan, then sent an email saying he was tired and that he could have yanked out $100 or $1,000, but that it's okay, because his company will reimburse us. Sorry for the run-on sentence, but it seemed to fit my rant. So, now we have absolutely no money with which to buy groceries or gas for the next two weeks, unless I want to use credit cards.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

Thanks, I'm feeling better. Anyone else have a spouse like this? Someone who is highly intelligent, but a complete idiot in one arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I'm an intelligent person who can't count. I always say that in order to count to 21, I need to borrow someone else's hand.

The only math I ever did well in was geometry, and that's because there were pictures. That part isn't a joke, by the way. Math "all by itself" simply does not make sense to me. But seeing it in two dimensions (a circle...a triangle) turns it somehow into something logical for me.

I think it may be some sort of learning disorder.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:37 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
My husband can't count! He can't do simple math. Mind you, he has a PhD in Engineering, yet can't figure out how to tip. He could probably do complex equations in his head, but 2 + 2 doesn't equate. He just pulled $1000 out of our checking account in Japan, then sent an email saying he was tired and that he could have yanked out $100 or $1,000, but that it's okay, because his company will reimburse us. Sorry for the run-on sentence, but it seemed to fit my rant. So, now we have absolutely no money with which to buy groceries or gas for the next two weeks, unless I want to use credit cards.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

Thanks, I'm feeling better. Anyone else have a spouse like this? Someone who is highly intelligent, but a complete idiot in one arena.
Be glad you didn't marry a lawyer.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I'm married to a great lady, very bright and college degreed. She gets lost in a closet & has no sense of time / space. But that's why she keeps me around is to do all the driving & keep her on time (mostly)

Oh yah... she paid a $67 cable bill on line and forgot to put the decimal point in. Took us awhile to recover the $6700 we sent to the cable company.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:31 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
Oh, I know some people with time/space problems, too. They are the butt of many of their friends' jokes. One guy can be off by months. In fact, he just asked us the other day when Easter was going to be. He's probably celebrating Labor Day this weekend.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:35 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,634 times
My Phd in Pharmaceutics spouse has no sense of time or geography or how long it might take to go from here to there or what his mother's telephone number is or how to get to her house or what my best friend's name is (we've been married for 7 years and she's been to visit us probably 10 times during that time!!!) However, he writes these scientific papers that I totally cannot comprehend. So he earns the money doing that and I do everything else .

Old 05-25-2008, 07:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
I am very intelligent bookwise, and I can talk about any subject and convince you I'm an expert. However, I suck pretty hardcore at math, and couldn't tell you almost anything I learned in highschool. I'm very surprised I even passed my math classes with a B average, because it neither made sense at the time nor does it now that I am older. I can do basic math in my head (addition, subtraction, multiplication, some division) but anything beyond that and I need to call up my asian friends.

I am with JerZ, if I see something I have a very mechanical mind, and I can understand it. But I don't understand it in a 'numbers' sense of the way, I understand it as if the two shapes or lines or whatever were real, and I can approach it from a visual angle.

I am willing to bet that if I spent the next ten years learning math and advanced math, I would forget it all a year later. If it doesn't have a very practical application on my world and life, I think my brain just casts it out or something.

I'm bad with tipping too, I literally always tip too much because I'm afraid that if I trust my instinct I'll tip far too little. I can count by fives and tens, that's it.:P

Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 PM

59 posts, read 318,486 times
i'm a finance major that don't know jack about finance! hahaha jk but for tip double the tax!!! lol

Old 05-25-2008, 08:13 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,629 times
I don't have a spouse but i'm a chemist with a horrible sense of direction. Don't know my north from south and can't give directions worth 2 cents. But I can murder a differential equation

Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
I don't have a spouse but i'm a chemist with a horrible sense of direction. Don't know my north from south and can't give directions worth 2 cents. But I can murder a differential equation
Whadya mean...? How'bout Pushkin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships