Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I think that everyone has a personality...if it comes across bitchy, or rough around the edges, then...if you don`t like it, walk away. Otherwise, either this individual is really a *****, or maybe they have had trauma in their life, and thats how they deal with everyday, people...and life.
If you choose to take the time to get to know them, or not, thats your choice, but we have no room to judge the outside of someone.
I always try to get to know people before I judge them and I can easily symapthize with people for the bad things I've gone through in life, in ways I tend to sympathize with the criminals you see on COPS cause I can't help but wonder why did they turn out that way, was it the turmoils and the bad situations they've gone through in life?

I know I could've easily turn out to be like those criminals on COPS but the thought of the consequences and me getting caught was bad enough for me and the thought of me hurting my family and others was also bad enough for me and it made me not wanna go down the same path as those criminals on COPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Is it good to have a rough around the edges personality when it comes to getting together with friends, I tend to relate well to those who has a rough around the edges personality and I can understand to where they're coming from.

I do think I have a bit of a rough around the edges personality but I always try to be nice, polite and respectful towards the people I'm around, there are also times when I can have a personality like a crackhead who is high on crack (no I don't do crack) but I do want people to think of me as a cool person who ended up becoming a stronger person for going through a string of turmoils and bad situations in the past.

People do admire me for taking the good with the bad and to take situations and turmoils as a learning experience.
What makes you have a "rough around the edges" personality? be specific.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
What makes you have a "rough around the edges" personality? be specific.
I do tend to be a little slightly obnoxious and I tend to tell stories about the situations I've gone through in life and I try to be humorous about it and let people know that those situations helped me become a stronger and a wiser person in the end.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
i have no idea what you mean by "rough around the edges" but obnoxiuous people dont keep many friends, who arent obnoxious themselves of course.

and i have might have worried if people thought i was "cool" when i was 13 or 16.

now i just make sure to be respectful.
especially when meeting people for the first time.

i dont make or try to make people like me, they either do ir they dont and most of the time they do.

laughter always makes good friends. if you can laugh together then thats perfect, but make sure you dont get too out of control (to the point of being obnoxious, self centered or immature), then people will appreciate who you are.

above all be respectful

if they still dont like you then you are the better person for that...

but you should never have to say that about yourself. you can beleive it, but there is no need to say... "i lived it, im so great for this and that!"

jst be respectful and respectable, then people wont care how "rough round the edges" you are.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
I am from a working class family and I can relate very well to those who seem rough around the edges and deep inside I know they are really good people and sometimes they can be alot of fun to be around cause you have a good understanding of where they're coming from.
To be from a working class family, or to be working class does not really make one rough around the edges, in my opinion.

You say you have been through some turmoil and it has made you a stronger person.

So have I. But I am not going to change who I am for anyone. Be yourself, and I think people will appreciate it.

But what do I know?

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Is it good to have a rough around the edges personality when it comes to getting together with friends, I tend to relate well to those who has a rough around the edges personality and I can understand to where they're coming from.

I do think I have a bit of a rough around the edges personality but I always try to be nice, polite and respectful towards the people I'm around, there are also times when I can have a personality like a crackhead who is high on crack (no I don't do crack) but I do want people to think of me as a cool person who ended up becoming a stronger person for going through a string of turmoils and bad situations in the past.

People do admire me for taking the good with the bad and to take situations and turmoils as a learning experience.
Naive, Pollyanna-ish people annoy me. I've been told, by people I've known, that I have a bit of a roguish personality...a bit of a dry, sarcastic sense of humor...and that APPEALED to them. One girlfriend called me her "little devil".

Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
I DO NOT like rough -tempered people, even if they have a so-called 'heart of gold'.
I myself am patient, and even able to take some abuse- to a limit.
Once my buttons get pushed hard, then I usually explode, and the meek guy I am usually can become very rough.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
I always try to get to know people before I judge them and I can easily symapthize with people for the bad things I've gone through in life, in ways I tend to sympathize with the criminals you see on COPS cause I can't help but wonder why did they turn out that way, was it the turmoils and the bad situations they've gone through in life?

I know I could've easily turn out to be like those criminals on COPS but the thought of the consequences and me getting caught was bad enough for me and the thought of me hurting my family and others was also bad enough for me and it made me not wanna go down the same path as those criminals on COPS.
While it's good to be an openminded and sympathetic person towards all others... just be very careful that you don't get taken down by criminal types and con artists in your effort to be understanding and nice to them. Be very street savvy about your interactions with them.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
I do tend to be a little slightly obnoxious and I tend to tell stories about the situations I've gone through in life and I try to be humorous about it and let people know that those situations helped me become a stronger and a wiser person in the end.
Are you telling these stories only once to each person you meet? And if you are with a group of your friends and you are introduced to a new person, do you tell them your life stories right away and in front of your old friends? How often are you telling people your life stories?

I'm just wondering if this part of your personality causes your friends to think that you are self centered or if they get tired of hearing your stories. And it reminds me of how you have that friend that is hooked on karaoke and his friends being in the audience, and meanwhile you have the need to keep telling people what you've gone through in your life and how it's made you a better person. I think that my mother would consider you boorish if she met you and you talked about yourself the majority of the time. I imagine that you have lots of life experience stories to share with others.

Quote:
Synonyms: boor, barbarian, churl, lout1, vulgarian, yahoo
These nouns denote an uncouth and uncultivated person: listened to the boor talk about himself all night; a barbarian bewildered by the art exhibit; offended by the churl's lack of manners; was married to an uncaring lout; refused to invite the vulgarian; acted like a yahoo at the restaurant.
Otherwise, please keep in mind that ALL of us have become wiser and better people through our own personal life experiences. You are not at all unique for what you have been through. I think that you probably need to learn how to be a good listener. People who talk about themselves and their achievements or how they survived a bad situation are much more common. And I think that you need to let your new friends more slowly find out about how you became who you are, rather than being such an open audio book to them. People like to explore and discover the new and unknown, but you are making it too easy for them to know you. And also perhaps, your version of who you think you are is not really as on the money as you think.

If you are a good person (which I think you are) then let your actions speak for you. And don't tell your life story as often. Wait until they ask you about yourself, and even then, don't tell all your stories at once. In a good long term friendship, you will have years to tell them all of your stories. And it would be very considerate of you to tell your friend ONE story about you, and then you ask them for a story about them. Good friendships are about give and take.

What about you keeping a journal with the thought that one day you'll turn it into a published book? Or what about starting a blog about you? I feel that you have a need to tell your stories, it's a matter of finding the right and willing audience for them.

I also think that you should consider going back to school and taking psychology classes with the goal of one day becoming a counselor of some sort. You've learned from your life experiences, maybe you'd be good at helping others navigate through the obstacles of their lives.

If you only keep focused on how your past troubles have made you better, then you are limiting yourself to the small area around yourself and others will only see you as being conceited and self centered. But if you take your life experience skills and try to help others with them, that would be truly a great life accomplishment.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you telling these stories only once to each person you meet? And if you are with a group of your friends and you are introduced to a new person, do you tell them your life stories right away and in front of your old friends? How often are you telling people your life stories?

I do tell my stories to one person at a time and I do kind of tell my stories rather randomly and whenever I do see old friends I would sometimes tell them some of my lifestories or tell them how I've been doing and what has been going on with me lately

I'm just wondering if this part of your personality causes your friends to think that you are self centered or if they get tired of hearing your stories. And it reminds me of how you have that friend that is hooked on karaoke and his friends being in the audience, and meanwhile you have the need to keep telling people what you've gone through in your life and how it's made you a better person. I think that my mother would consider you boorish if she met you and you talked about yourself the majority of the time. I imagine that you have lots of life experience stories to share with others.

I hope people don't think I'm self centered and if I do annoy people with my old stories and I do talk alot about myself and what goes on in life, I am starting to feel better about my friend being hooked on karokee and him wanting his friends to be in the audience, it made me be able to relate to where he's coming from, I do find my karokee obsessed friend to be annoying and a bit of a control freak but deep inside he is a great person with a big heart and it's easy to sympathize with him cause we've gone through similar situations in the past

Otherwise, please keep in mind that ALL of us have become wiser and better people through our own personal life experiences. You are not at all unique for what you have been through. I think that you probably need to learn how to be a good listener. People who talk about themselves and their achievements or how they survived a bad situation are much more common. And I think that you need to let your new friends more slowly find out about how you became who you are, rather than being such an open audio book to them. People like to explore and discover the new and unknown, but you are making it too easy for them to know you. And also perhaps, your version of who you think you are is not really as on the money as you think.

If you are a good person (which I think you are) then let your actions speak for you. And don't tell your life story as often. Wait until they ask you about yourself, and even then, don't tell all your stories at once. In a good long term friendship, you will have years to tell them all of your stories. And it would be very considerate of you to tell your friend ONE story about you, and then you ask them for a story about them. Good friendships are about give and take.

What about you keeping a journal with the thought that one day you'll turn it into a published book? Or what about starting a blog about you? I feel that you have a need to tell your stories, it's a matter of finding the right and willing audience for them.

I also think that you should consider going back to school and taking psychology classes with the goal of one day becoming a counselor of some sort. You've learned from your life experiences, maybe you'd be good at helping others navigate through the obstacles of their lives.

If you only keep focused on how your past troubles have made you better, then you are limiting yourself to the small area around yourself and others will only see you as being conceited and self centered. But if you take your life experience skills and try to help others with them, that would be truly a great life accomplishment.
I do feel that I've had learned alot about myself by telling stories about what I've gone through in the past and that I do go a little too overboard telling people those stories and I should try talking about various things about what our interests are, I would like for people to share their stories with me and I like hearing people's stories, plus I can relate to people very well and I have a very good understanding where they're coming from.

I have never thought about becoming a counselor at all and nobody has ever told me that I should be a counselor, I will try to keep focus on a variety of things along with trying to be a better listener and let them talk about what they wanna talk about, I also like talking about music, cars, cities and what goes on in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships