Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megande View Post
People understand what you are saying...at least, I did, and I responded that I *DO* find my husband extremely hot because of WHO he is. His non-physical attributes have made me find him to be hot. It happens. And not only to me.

Like I said, it is one thing to LOVE someone, another to feel LUST for someone. And if the fellow is not good looking, than no matter what, women will not lust for him.

As for those women who say they find their partners "hot" despite their flaws...see here Denial (http://www.nh-dwi.com/caip-202.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
EXCUSE ME?! "the insecure male super-ego"? Don't get sexist on me! I could talk about penis envy, femine self-image issues etc, but instead I understand that sexism is wrong. If only other people could strive for similar understanding...

Anyway, I have never been out with a girl or had a girlfriend, but guess what? I've never asked a girl out, either. How could I have an axe to grind about something that has never happened? I mean, that would be like me, who was born a decade after the Vietnam war ended and had no family members serve there, have a grudge against the Vietcong.

Anyway, the parallel that I was drawing is one that I will no spell out for you: Astronomy is a SCIENCE, that uses data gathered through observations. What I am talking about, psychology, is also a SCIENCE, the study of the human mind. One does not need to have gone through a psychological condition (like the emotions involved in a relationship) to have an opinion on the said condition. Are all drug treatment councilors recovering addicts? No. Are all psychologist who specialize in depression people who have had depression? No. At the same token, do I have to of had been in a relationship to understand a relationship? No.

Saying that "you just have to be in one to understand" is a juvenile position to say the least.
Drug treatment counselors know how to deal with addicts because they are educated on how to help them.

Psychologists know and understand the inner workings of the brain.

With the absurd statements you make, it's pretty clear that you know next to nothing about relationships.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Like I said, it is one thing to LOVE someone, another to feel LUST for someone. And if the fellow is not good looking, than no matter what, women will not lust for him.

As for those women who say they find their partners "hot" despite their flaws...see here Denial (http://www.nh-dwi.com/caip-202.htm - broken link)
Depends, buddy, depends... While I can't honestly say I like conventionally ugly, I find many people intriguing based on personality and behavior, so quit looking for excuses, OK!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
I could talk about penis envy, femine self-image issues etc, but instead I understand that sexism is wrong. If only other people could strive for similar understanding...
You talk the talk, but by your own admission you don't walk the walk.

Big difference, laddie - no matter HOW much psychobabble you know.

Quote:
One does not need to have gone through a psychological condition (like the emotions involved in a relationship) to have an opinion on the said condition. Are all drug treatment councilors recovering addicts? No. Are all psychologist who specialize in depression people who have had depression? No.
Do all psychologists undergo psychotherapy as part of their training? Yes.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Drug treatment counselors know how to deal with addicts because they are educated on how to help them.

Psychologists know and understand the inner workings of the brain.

With the absurd statements you make, it's pretty clear that you know next to nothing about relationships.

I have read plenty of books on relationships, so that should be "education" enough.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I have read plenty of books on relationships, so that should be "education" enough.
Books are books... deeds are deeds...nothing in common!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You talk the talk, but by your own admission you don't walk the walk.

Big difference, laddie - no matter HOW much psychobabble you know.
When did I ever say anything sexist? I only pointed out a difference between men and women. Show me were I said women were lesser beings for having more narrowed interest in men than men do in women. If I said African Americans tended to have curlier hair than white Americans, would that make me racist?

Quote:
Do all psychologists undergo psychotherapy as part of their training? Yes.

But do all psychologist have to have the condition that they are going to be treating as part of their training? No.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Depends, buddy, depends... While I can't honestly say I like conventionally ugly, I find many people intriguing based on personality and behavior, so quit looking for excuses, OK!

"Intriguing" and sexy are two different things, as I already said. No excuse. I am only stating that women do not find men who are not tall and good lucking "Sexy", while men have very varied interest...some find skinny women hot, while don't like big women, others find big women hot, and don't like skinny women, etc.

No women find short men hot while not liking tall men. That is the point I have beem making, that no one has been able to refute.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
"Intriguing" and sexy are two different things, as I already said.
That's not what I said, though.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:

I have read plenty of books on childbirth but I have never given birth.
My wife hasn't read any books on childbirth but has given birth twice.
Who do you think knows more about the subject?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships