Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times

Advertisements

I would recommend not going with Match.com. The competition for the men there is fierce. When I set up a profile on there several years ago, I was "pounced" upon by a slew of rico suave-types, among a plethora of other "just guys". I ended up taking the profile down after about two days because the mail box kept blowing up.

I would go with craig, or love happens, but unfortunately love happens is shutting down soon. I met some "real" people through love happens, back in its earliest form.

Actually, if we could get an idea of what sort of relationship you're looking for, then maybe we could recommend some different sites. (I also like the idea of meeting someone in a specific-interest chat room or "group" - and the bar thing vs. internet dating, well, the same people hanging out in bars and clubs are the ones also throwing their hat in the ring online. People are people.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would go with craig
I don't know about other places or about women, but my local craigslist looks pretty much like a septic tank...

Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,574 times
Since I'm married, I don't go to online dating sites. My parents however just attended a family friend's son's wedding. He met his wife on E-Harmony. They were a perfect match. She is from India and an absolute delight. I think they dated for maybe 2 years(not sure, could've been a year). They married this past Sunday.
So there is one postive online dating story.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know about other places or about women, but my local craigslist looks pretty much like a septic tank...
Haha! You're right! Lots of doodoo, but I've met some decent guys through there. It's easy to weed out the junk - skip the Casual Encounters section for one (just teasing!), Narrow your search and check back often.

I don't know if date.com is still up and running, but I actually met two single 'celebrities' through that website. It helps if you live in L.A. if that's your thing....

Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Haha! You're right! Lots of doodoo, but I've met some decent guys through there. It's easy to weed out the junk - skip the Casual Encounters section for one (just teasing!), Narrow your search and check back often.

I don't know if date.com is still up and running, but I actually met two single 'celebrities' through that website. It helps if you live in L.A. if that's your thing....
I'm on a diet, but it's human to check the menu occasionally.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Why would anyone want to date other singles that are that desperate for a date? As I've said before, who wants to be trying to date someone that is also checking out numerous other prospects at the same time? It's like going to a club and a cute guy is walking around with a sign around his neck that says he's available and he's followed by a herd of single women. Would you want to join that crowd trying to get his attention? Who wants to be part of that cattle call audition process? Do you think that any of those contestants in those The Bachelor tv shows really enjoyed themselves under that pressure? I seem to remember more than a few women in tears or backstabbing someone in order to try to get ahead in the competition.

I greatly prefer finding a single man that isn't actively looking for a relationship. It makes for a more relaxed and enjoyable encounter and with a lot less pressure to have to catch his fancy.

If I needed to catch myself an interesting (to me) single man, I would buy myself a classic esoteric sports car like a BMW e30 M3, learn to drive it well and be a member of the BMW Sports Car Club. As it is, I often joke with my boyfriend that I lured him in with my collection of old cars. But it really depends on what kind of person you want to date.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why would anyone want to date other singles that are that desperate for a date? As I've said before, who wants to be trying to date someone that is also checking out numerous other prospects at the same time? It's like going to a club and a cute guy is walking around with a sign around his neck that says he's available and he's followed by a herd of single women. Would you want to join that crowd trying to get his attention? Who wants to be part of that cattle call audition process? Do you think that any of those contestants in those The Bachelor tv shows really enjoyed themselves under that pressure? I seem to remember more than a few women in tears or backstabbing someone in order to try to get ahead in the competition.

I greatly prefer finding a single man that isn't actively looking for a relationship. It makes for a more relaxed and enjoyable encounter and with a lot less pressure to have to catch his fancy.

If I needed to catch myself an interesting (to me) single man, I would buy myself a classic esoteric sports car like a BMW e30 M3, learn to drive it well and be a member of the BMW Sports Car Club. As it is, I often joke with my boyfriend that I lured him in with my collection of old cars. But it really depends on what kind of person you want to date.
Not everybody can be as perfect as you, dear...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,183 times
My brother met his fiance through E-harmony, he had troubles meeting people the "normal" way because he is very shy and unsure of himself around people. He and I are like opposites. I told him to try going to Renaissance Fairs (I've never been to one, but thought it would be right up his alley), but he was to shy to even do that.

Well, he wound up meeting the perfect person for him and they are going to get married in April! It should be loads of fun! I am so happy for my brother because this woman is so much better than his past girlfriends!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why would anyone want to date other singles that are that desperate for a date?
Ah... it's the pleasure of real, materialistic women such as yourself that spring those lowly men "desperate for a date" (such as myself) to the dating websites. Warmth like yours in your post makes wrapping my arms around a metal toilet in Alaska seems inviting.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Depends on how you look at it. Some people would say they had a wonderful 18-month relationship.
Well, in a way, that's what I'm saying. We met through an free online service, after talking with each other...and interacting with OTHER people there on their "forums"...and had 18 interesting months together...ups and downs, like any other relationship...but it took that long to find out we weren't compatible...isn't it a great thing that we didn't run out and get married??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships