Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
Worked for me. I met the man I will be marrying in just under 3 weeks time on a Christian dating site. We hit it off right away and found we shared many of the same values, beliefs and goals. In my opinion, this has probably been the best, most open and most sincere relationship I have ever had. I couldn't be happier. So yes, it does work out for some people.

A misconception that all people on dating sites are somehow desperate for a date. While true there probably are some, maybe even many, it is not a fair nor accurate generalization (generalizations rarely are).

Speaking from my own experience, I did try out a dating site. A Christian one that was offering a free trial. I was far from desperate for a date. In fact, I was very content with my life as a full time student and full time mom of two teenagers, both of which kept me happy and fulfilled. However, not being one to hit the clubs/bars and being pretty busy with school and my kids, curiousity with the dating site hit and figured why not give it a shot, not much to lose. The reality is I wasn't actually expecting to actually meet anyone, much less the man I would later be marrying.

There are some people that use online dating sites for reasons other than desperation. Some of them actually do have full, productive and happy lives. Online sites just provides a different route to the possibility of meeting someone special.

Precisely the beauty of online dating sites. You actually get to know someone for other attributes/qualities, than their physical appearance at first. My fiance and I spent an amazing amount of time getting to know each other, talking about anything and everything under the sun from God/faith to pizza and favorite colors before ever meeting. By the time we met in person, yes the physical attraction was definately there instantly, I think we were both a bit wow'ed at that, but most importantly the intellectual, spiritual and even emotional connection was already the foundation of what would come next.

So.... while no, it may not work for everyone. It may not even be everyone's cup of tea. Please just don't generalize everyone on those sites as being "desperate" for a date. Some of them just have their priorities in order, children, school, work, etc. albeit still also having a desire to find someone to share their lives with. And truly, there is nothing wrong with knowing that what you seek is a relationship with substance and not just casual dating experiences.
OK the first thing you mention is a christian dating site. I'm sure people have far more success on a "dating" site that has a specific focus. Like midjetconnections.com, Doglvrsdating.com, fansofDaleearnhardtwhowannadate.com. but on the more general sites you'll find a ton of people, male and female who will try to fit YOUR interests if they like what they see.

On these general sites, especially local, you're also giving the person a heads up on your likes and dislikes. This can be great if you are contacted by a genuine person, not so great if they're not. I remember a gal contacting me and telling me this about myself and that , and she could tell this about me, and that based on her "belief" I was a taurus and that info wasn't on the site.. I figured out eventually she was friends with a girl I dated on there previously. They used a shared info network to puff me. Once you date one, they all know alot about you. Watch out for the ones who want to go out with you but hang out with other daters from the site out with you. This should tell you they go out alot, but have had limited success

Last edited by optiflex; 05-28-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,561 times
What I meant was, a dates a date, meeting friends out is meeting friends out. There's a difference, and when they want this, usually your wallets a lot lighter at the end of the evening. You're meeting, picking them up to take them to be with their friends, usually as tonights payee.

Lets say you like horses, you put in a general dating site profile you're interested in horses. It's not hard for me to say I like horses too. What you meant was a hobby, a business, a great interest for you, for me it could mean I just like horses. But you'll more likely find a fellow horse liker/lover at horse related things or sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
OK the first thing you mention is a christian dating site. I'm sure people have far more success on a "dating" site that has a specific focus. Like midjetconnections.com, Doglvrsdating.com, fansofDaleearnhardtwhowannadate.com. but on the more general sites you'll find a ton of people, male and female who will try to fit YOUR interests if they like what they see.

On these general sites, especially local, you're also giving the person a heads up on your likes and dislikes. This can be great if you are contacted by a genuine person, not so great if they're not. I remember a gal contacting me and telling me this about myself and that , and she could tell this about me, and that based on her "belief" I was a taurus and that info wasn't on the site.. I figured out eventually she was friends with a girl I dated on there previously. They used a shared info network to puff me. Once you date one, they all know alot about you. Watch out for the ones who want to go out with you but hang out with other daters from the site out with you. This should tell you they go out alot, but have had limited success

Last edited by optiflex; 05-28-2008 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 PM

845 posts, read 2,743,420 times
I have never tried a dating site but I think I may try. I have two coworkers who were recently married and they met their husbands through e-harmony and match. Both guys seem like great, caring, successful guys. From the people I know, I have heard a lot more success stories than horror stories. I would stay away from Craigslist though.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Your post is correct about there being a lot of desperate men. Sierra is a lady btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Craigslist is the same way, there's a bazillion men hounding one woman, even if she looks like an obese female Hitler. They will do it, because a nasty vagina is better than no vagina. For men I think dating sites are a bit more difficult than women, simply because there are more desperate guys out there. And some of them are very good at appearing awesome, on the internet. I'd just stick with going to clubs, going to local outdoor events, concerts, etc. Anything that will put you in the way of a lot of women with common interests. And then after that just work on saying Hi and smiling. If that doesn't work, take steroids for six months and go to the beach. The women you attract won't actually possess a brain, but they'll have some really nice hair and fake ****.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know about other places or about women, but my local craigslist looks pretty much like a septic tank...

I have noticed that they all do, full of spam, or bots as some call them. You respond to some ad's and get a bunch of junk mail in return, or if the person is real they are often flat out shallow.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I have noticed that they all do, full of spam, or bots as some call them. You respond to some ad's and get a bunch of junk mail in return, or if the person is real they are often flat out shallow.
Don't know about spam, but it's pretty disgusting...

Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 23,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not everybody can be as perfect as you, dear...
about time some people started calling out miu for her pathetic posts in here. karma for you. the people you would like to see banned from this site remain forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships