Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:20 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times

Advertisements

I'm 50, I can remember when so many subjects weren't talked about, then our generation thought if we brought stuff out in the open we could solve the worlds problems. For those of you that are around my age do you think the world is a better place because of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
For the most part, yes I love that our current society is more open than previous ones. But we do need to pause to think before speaking on certain subjects. While overall we welcome the changes, there are still going to be individuals that might be more conservative in their ways. So empathy is needed before just spilling it all out.

I think that one downside to being so open about our formerly innermost thoughts, is that in relationships we lose a little mystery and romance about the whole process. And maybe a little bit of formality, etiquette, respect and consideration is lost also. I have one friend that is way too frank about discussing his health, emotional and sexual issues with me. But I guess you can't always take the portion you want and have to accept what's given to you. lol

But I do love being able to be so open and frank with my boyfriend about everything. I feel very comfortable with him and he about me. So if you pick the right people to surround yourself with, having open discussions with them will mostly be a good experience.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM

I think that life should be fair but its not, I think women are just as good as men and visa versa and color should have no play even though it does. That being said before we started talking we all knew our place in life and I think a lot of that has been lost. Do you think with all the talk shows and what is said in forums that in general we are a happier bunch.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Being open and frank with a confidente is great. Our society as a whole saying what they want, when they want is an illusion anyway. Only certain people can say certain things. If I ever thought of saying things in the same connotation that others do, we all know what would happen.

I don't know what direction you were going with your post, RCM58, but I, for one, don't like society thinking they can say whatever they want. It's this new, younger, "me" generation. "You will hear what I want to say because I want to say it!! Screw if you don't want to hear it... I have the First Amendment right to say what I want. It's me expressing myself. It's me being open an honest with you!! I don't care that it hurts you or you may not want to hear what I say!! Hear me!!!"

No... I think we were a wiser society when we weighed what we said BEFORE we said it. When we stopped thinking of what others might feel before we say things in this new "open" society, we lost a large part of what made us who we were. That's why we are not one American society anymore, and are losing our way in the global world... not only financially, but with regard to reputation as a whole.

*steps off the soap box*

Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I think that being open and honest is the best policy, but the effects of which may not be realized until years later.

I do not know how many times that someone told me to tell them the honest truth (as if there is an un-honest truth?), which I did only to end up seriously insulting or hurting that person's feelings; to which it was at a later point in time that they finally appreciated me for being honest.

Many people claim that they want the truth but in reality they wish that you would just lie to them as in some cases a lie is easier to swallow.

By the way, never ask me if those pants make your ass look fat if you do not want to hear a truthful opinion.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:25 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Amendment one to my rant -

I think with regards to relationships, saying what you feel may make the person saying it feel better, but not always the receiver. That said, I think any relationship that doesn't center on communications is doomed to fail. Don't confuse "open communications" with always "saying what you feel." If I make a bonehead move in a relationship, I'd rather the person tell me it's okay instead of dwelling on it and telling me for the next week how stupid I was! lol

Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I think that life should be fair but its not, I think women are just as good as men and visa versa and color should have no play even though it does. That being said before we started talking we all knew our place in life and I think a lot of that has been lost. Do you think with all the talk shows and what is said in forums that in general we are a happier bunch.
I think that a combination of talking and also thinking about the relationship and the individual people involved is a plus. For instance, my boyfriend and I have analyzed what we like and dislike about our parents. And we make a conscious effort to not repeat what we consider to be our parents' mistakes and faults. My mom being Asian is big on saving face, but I reject that way of living. My boyfriend's dad drank to much and was abusive to his family, so he is careful to only drink minimally and to watch his tongue and his temper.

I find the title of this thread ironic as men are usually known for not liking to talk as much as women like to do.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 PM

I like talking but I'm the first one to point out that it hasn't always gotten the result I was looking for.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I'm 50, I can remember when so many subjects weren't talked about, then our generation thought if we brought stuff out in the open we could solve the worlds problems. For those of you that are around my age do you think the world is a better place because of it?
I know the talk shows have had an effect on people, maybe not as many good effects as we'd like to think. There was a show called "Married with Children" and a running joke was the head charactor used to ask his wife "What's Oprah been telling you to do now Peg"

As a guy I noticed one week a sudden increase of ladies agressively asking me out in the same manor, suddenly presenting me with their phone number. They said the same thing too, "here's my number, I thought you might not ever get around to asking me out, so I thought I'd push the idea." It happened to me twice in one night, almost exactly the same! I have good gal friends so I asked if maybe a daytime talk show had suggested women be more agressive? Answer: "hey that was the subject on Mondays Tyra"

Self help, dating advice, relationship groups, therapy. It's all big nowadays. But it also strikes me we're now geared to over examine everything said and done too.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I find the title of this thread ironic as men are usually known for not liking to talk as much as women like to do.
I don't mind talking, as long as it is at a time when I am good and ready to. As soon as I walk in through the door, I kid you not, my GF lays in with the How was your day? At that immediate point in time talking about my day is the last thing on my mind.

And if she is the one who is walking in through the door , oh brother, I never knew anyone could find so much crap to talk about after not seeing each other for only a few hours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships