Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 05:41 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times

Advertisements

Shelato's got the best idea. Get offline and get into something real. I don't know - what do you do when you're doing something you like? Outdoors stuff? Dead easy to find guys there. Take a class on how to get better at it. Civics stuff? Now's the perfect time to get involved there. Plenty of guys into that. Music? Ditto. Crafts? Well, less guys there, but at least there's tons of women involved in that and plenty of groups wherein you can make friends - better than some loser guy who's not reliable. Maybe one of them will have a brother. A book club? Depending on what kind, plenty of guys into that, too. Church or Atheistic meetups? Find them online (more reliable than finding guys online through Match, apparently)

All this stuff sound stuffy? Get a dog and go out walking with it. Plenty of guys....you know the rest.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 05:47 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's probably not even true. I used that line before when I dumped a nice guy that I did not want to offend.

You probably see him on Match.com in a few weeks again.
Exactly! I was going to say the same thing. He found someone else on Match or possibly wasn't that interested and thought that excuse was an easy out.

Bet you anything his Match profile is still up and active a month from today.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:51 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
If it weren't for bad luck with dating I'd have no luck at all...

the last guy I went out with ghosted me after making very specific plans, the guy before that turned out to have herpes....that sums up 2022 for me...I'm going to be alone forever.
I'm a firm believer in the harder you try and make something happen, the less likely it will happen. Maybe try and pause the Match.com profile for a while and just force yourself to get out into the real world a bit more, go to parties with friends, join some fitness groups, etc. Bet you anything you'd have better luck.

I've never really got into online dating but I imagine that's a mine field on many levels. I watched "The Tinder Swindler" on Netflix a while back, my goodness. I know that's an extreme but sort of highlights how fake and dishonest people can be online.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2022, 12:06 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Shelato's got the best idea. Get offline and get into something real. I don't know - what do you do when you're doing something you like? Outdoors stuff? Dead easy to find guys there. Take a class on how to get better at it. Civics stuff? Now's the perfect time to get involved there. Plenty of guys into that. Music? Ditto. Crafts? Well, less guys there, but at least there's tons of women involved in that and plenty of groups wherein you can make friends - better than some loser guy who's not reliable. Maybe one of them will have a brother. A book club? Depending on what kind, plenty of guys into that, too. Church or Atheistic meetups? Find them online (more reliable than finding guys online through Match, apparently)

All this stuff sound stuffy? Get a dog and go out walking with it. Plenty of guys....you know the rest.

Good luck.
Oh, please, like I never thought of that.

I'm in a hiking/camping/kayaking club, two singing groups and a book club. I go to church and belong to a busy gym. I play Hero Quest twice a month at a Game Store. I meet plenty of people of all kinds. Just none that are interested in dating me.

In the past 16 years I have dated exactly two guys that I met in real life, and it isn't because I'm sitting at home doing nothing.

Last edited by Stagemomma; 11-04-2022 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 12:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
These things will happen especially with online dating. If this is only the 3rd guy you've connected with online in 2022, that tells me you're not that committed to it. If you're seriously looking to find someone you have to up that number from three per year to at least 10, it's a numbers game.
Not that I'm not committed, but I've been pretty passive. There have been more than 3 guys I've been in touch with this year...only 3 materialized into actual dates.

Over the years, I've had better success with guys who contacted me first, rather than with guys I contacted first. So I have stopped initiating contact. That strategy is not working for me, so I'm going to initiate contact with a few guys this weekend just to get back into the swing of it.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:08 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Men like that are cowards. They string you along instead of cutting things off like a decent person would. At least ghost the person, don't tell them you're going to call, don't make plans with them. Only cowards and sadists do that. My ex was both. Made plans for an actual trip together knowing he was never going to go.
Then lied about the whole thing.

The truth is fine, just say I'm not into this and we both move on. What's with all the lies and drama and stringing and confusing people....??? And then lying about the lies. They must enjoy it as a kind of drama or like to make people confused and see that as power or something.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:11 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Men like that are cowards. They string you along instead of cutting things off like a decent person would. At least ghost the person, don't tell them you're going to call, don't make plans with them. Only cowards and sadists do that. My ex was both. Made plans for an actual trip together knowing he was never going to go.
Then lied about the whole thing.

The truth is fine, just say I'm not into this and we both move on. What's with all the lies and drama and stringing and confusing people....??? And then lying about the lies. They must enjoy it as a kind of drama or like to make people confused and see that as power or something.
But that is the world of online dating and everyone knows this now.

And they continue to accept it.

If you got stood up in real life at a restaurant would you agree to go back a second time to be stood up ?

Old 11-04-2022, 09:20 PM

631 posts, read 298,198 times
If dates do not follow through, it means they're NOT interested.

Last edited by MercedesBoy; 11-04-2022 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-04-2022, 10:27 PM

255 posts, read 146,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's probably not even true. I used that line before when I dumped a nice guy that I did not want to offend.

You probably see him on Match.com in a few weeks again.
Agreed! I had a guy once tell me that after our 4th date! I knew it was total BS, and I actually did see him active on match.com two weeks later haha!

Old 11-05-2022, 09:46 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
If he wanted to call you, he would.

If he wanted to call you, and found himself super busy, he would have shot you a text explaining his situation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships