Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 01:17 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yeah the fashion industry is run by women and (even more so)gay men, not straight men. And the gay men don't care what the woman looks like they just care when the clothes look like. That's why many models are strange looking, especially runway models. Few men find that waifish look to be attractive, and the gay men who choose those models are more interested in having a walking clothes hanger to showcase their creation.
Yes, exactly and then women blame straight men for what fashion industry does to woman's body. Make perfect sense as usual. To me, most female fashion models look like starving, malnourished kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
And average is sexually attractive for women, true, but not men. The average man finds the average woman sexually appealing but the average woman does not find the average man sexually appealing, or if she does it's due to something about his personality or status, not his looks. Hence the 80/20 rule and the prevalence of inceldom in societies where women choose men because of what they want instead of what they need.
OK, I have seen this assertions mentioned many times. Now is there any kind of evidence for this, something from behavioral science? Most of my friends and me are average to slightly below average and we all have found partners eventually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 01:35 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,309,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
OK, I have seen this assertions mentioned many times. Now is there any kind of evidence for this, something from behavioral science? Most of my friends and me are average to slightly below average and we all have found partners eventually...
You can find a pretty good discussion of the issue here with links to relevant studies.

https://datepsychology.com/is-physic...y-distributed/

Old 12-02-2022, 01:44 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Very sure. When I find older women attractive, it's because they haven't lost much of anything to the aging process. So Gabrielle Union, Selma Hayek, Sofia Vegara and Salli Richardson were all very attractive to me throughout their 40s. Maybe not as attractive as they once were, but that just means they were like 8s instead of 9s.

When I was 17, we had a Spanish teacher who was probably in her late 30s to early 40s who was a SMOKE SHOW. Every guy wanted to be in her class. The demand for Spanish was so high I couldn't even enroll in the class. If a woman is visually appealing then she is visually appealing, and men from 15 to 105 will find her arousing, hence the "Hey Miss Parker" jokes that have been around since the 90s.

I think this is a case of you substituting in your thinking/tastes/experiences with that of most men. I can't speak for most men either, but I do think that a person's standards will adapt based on the type of people available to them. If you're a successful 6'4 fund manager and you're fortunate enough to have retained a decent amount of your youthful looks (including a full head of hair) by age 45, then you could reasonably expect to date attractive women in that 27-31 age range. An average height man with an average income and average looks who's been struck by male pattern baldness could not reasonably expect to date those same women. So his standards have to "evolve" since he doesn't have much of a choice if he wants to enjoy the company of women.

I think where you live also matters. If you're living in a far out exurb where you're encountering frumpy women (and men) who have given up on maintaining appearances, then your standards will likely change. Add that with what I mentioned above about your own attractiveness declining. But if you're in a hip urban neighborhood of a major city or in a tony upper middle class suburb, you're going to see many more fit, good-looking people IME. The OP says she lives in NY and a lot of these 40+ women in the city are doing Solid Core, Orange Theory, SoulCycle, yoga and pilates and they are walking around Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in yoga pants looking like snacks. I think there's greater pressure to keep up your looks. So if men are encountering tight bodies in women between the ages of 18 and 50 on a daily basis, then their physical standards will probably be higher.
I actually find the more attractive women in the burbs. In town, they're the ones who are kind of frumpy/earthy/tatooed/nose rings, etc. Maybe some guys like that.

I remember thinking Grace Lee Whitney was gorgeous when I was in elementary school. And she was upper 30s when she was in Star Trek. Of course, she did have a tight toned body at that age. So a tight toned body is always nice. Doesn't mean everyone thinks its essential. Its definitely an exception with men and women over 50. For that matter, its not the rule among people in their upper 20s anymore.

Old 12-02-2022, 01:53 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I actually find the more attractive women in the burbs. In town, they're the ones who are kind of frumpy/earthy/tatooed/nose rings, etc. Maybe some guys like that.
Where do you live? I think men and women in cities look better. Statistically, they have lower BMIs and smaller waist sizes.

I think the exceptions, as I mentioned in my post, are affluent inner rings suburbs like Brookline, Mass or Bethesda, MD. There you will get a decent mix of ages and the older people are wealthier and overall just look like they have more resources to look good IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships