Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 10:28 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Just own your body and be confident, that's 99% of it for most of us men. Insecurity is a major turnoff.
Well, to get back on topic, I second this post^

I am not a man but I think it isn't as much how your body looks like than what you do with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 10:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are very few places in the country where $100K individual annual income is "average."
Almost none, especially when in economics/sociology the average is generally considered the median.

Maybe a few zip codes. The median HOUSEHOLD income in Manhattan just north of $100k. The median invidual income is quite a bit less, of course.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:39 AM

32,117 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Most men certainly do not have a professional degree. That's less than the 30% with a bachelor's degree. That's probably only 10% of men.
My point is that the data needs to be disaggregated because we're often comparing households full of graduate students who get paid minimum wage as research assistants to much older people already established in their careers. For me personally, I don't care much about the fact that I earn way more than a 22-year old in an entry level position. What's more relevant to me is what people are earning at the same age.

Quote:
You're not talking about 30%+, you're talking about <25%. That's 'way to the left of the peak of the bell curve. That's outlier territory. That's remarkable.
That's not "outlier" territory. Without getting into technical detail, just think of a vaccination that fails to prevent death 25 times out of 100. Would you call those 25 deaths "outliers"? When people say something is an "outlier," they mean something that is probably at least 3SDs from the mean. So 30 deaths in 100,000 cases could easily be called an "outlier." 30,000 deaths in 100,000 cases could not.

Quote:
Well, yeah, that is remarkable.
Well, then, maybe men should stop being so delusional and asking for something that's so statistically "rare."

Old 11-11-2022, 02:03 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
So over the course of the last 5 years I have lost a substantial amount of weight (about 60 pounds). As a result I have body image issues because of the hanging skin as a result of the weight loss (that working out does not fix). I haven't had sex yet at this size, and while with my last boyfriend I did have some hanging skin (he didn't seem to care), it's worse now since I've lost more weight since then. I am 40 years old and usually date men my age or older so part me thinks a tight body is not as important to men as they get older, but I just know when the time does come to have sex with someone I will be extremely self conscious and don't want that to get in the way. I am considering getting a tummy tuck, but haven't made a final decision yet.

So I was just wondering how important is a tight body on a woman to men 40 and over?
They are all different, just like women, so no one can answer that.
Kudos to you for losing the weight. As far as the tummy tuck, do what makes YOU feel comfortable and confident.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:08 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,226,992 times
Quote:
A tight toned body on a guy is not important to me at all.

I live in NYC so most people over 40 make six figures here (including me and I wouldn't want to date someone who makes much less than I do), but like I said the body is not important to me.
Then I would say the world is your oyster. Outside of the six figures part because I'm not sure too many people really make that kind of money.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:53 PM

1,438 posts, read 735,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People need to stop using "six figures" as a benchmark of success. It was a benchmark of success back in the 80s when "six figures" was indeed a big deal because hardly anyone made that. But $100,000 in 1982 is about the equivalent of $300,000 in 2022 dollars.

"Six figures" in most parts of the country is about as remarkable as saying "I went to college." I'm not trying to be elitist here or anything, I'm just saying that a salary in the low 100s is not going to blow anyone's mind, and it's not even an unreasonable requirement depending on where you live and what circles you move in.

35.6% of men who are 40 years old have at least a Bachelor's Degree. 25.9% of all 40-year old men working full-time make at least $100,000. Among the college-educated, it rises to 48%. So not exceptional at all.
Well maybe it's because the average wage in this country is 45K so 100K is still over double of what 68% of "working" adults make, so while 100K no longer puts you in the top 10% it still puts you firmly in the top 20%. so it's still a benchmark as it's the level to where you no longer have to scrutinize every dollar going out at bill time and live in reasonable comfort.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Well maybe it's because the average wage in this country is 45K so 100K is still over double of what 68% of "working" adults make, so while 100K no longer puts you in the top 10% it still puts you firmly in the top 20%. so it's still a benchmark as it's the level to where you no longer have to scrutinize every dollar going out at bill time and live in reasonable comfort.
I read that post and I got to the point where you said not to sound elitist and I knew at that moment something elitist was coming out next.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People need to stop using "six figures" as a benchmark of success. It was a benchmark of success back in the 80s when "six figures" was indeed a big deal because hardly anyone made that. But $100,000 in 1982 is about the equivalent of $300,000 in 2022 dollars.

"Six figures" in most parts of the country is about as remarkable as saying "I went to college." I'm not trying to be elitist here or anything, I'm just saying that a salary in the low 100s is not going to blow anyone's mind, and it's not even an unreasonable requirement depending on where you live and what circles you move in.

35.6% of men who are 40 years old have at least a Bachelor's Degree. 25.9% of all 40-year old men working full-time make at least $100,000. Among the college-educated, it rises to 48%. So not exceptional at all.
Yeah it's pretty elitist only about 15% of the employed people in our country make $100,000 a year.

And the statistics I got said that 21% of men make six figures.

So it's a pretty heavy blow to the dating market to require that I would just say go nun if that's your requirement. In reality those guys could probably have a 25-year-old if they wanted even if they were 40.

Old 11-12-2022, 03:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
Quote:
So over the course of the last 5 years I have lost a substantial amount of weight (about 60 pounds). As a result I have body image issues because of the hanging skin as a result of the weight loss (that working out does not fix). I haven't had sex yet at this size, and while with my last boyfriend I did have some hanging skin (he didn't seem to care), it's worse now since I've lost more weight since then. I am 40 years old and usually date men my age or older so part me thinks a tight body is not as important to men as they get older, but I just know when the time does come to have sex with someone I will be extremely self conscious and don't want that to get in the way. I am considering getting a tummy tuck, but haven't made a final decision yet.

So I was just wondering how important is a tight body on a woman to men 40 and over?
You know what's considered attractive. Unless you are competing with 25 year olds it shouldn't be an issue

Old 11-12-2022, 04:03 AM

3,508 posts, read 768,464 times
a neighbor of mine wants to have some fun with me but i cant get beyond how big she is .. i dont look longingly at large women when at walmart . so size matters to me but that`s only me .. plenty of men prefer bigger body women ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships