Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 06:31 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Seriously, its nuts, I've done more bridal / nursery gift giving since covid for people in their early 40s over the past couple of years than I think I did for friends in all their 30s. Serious covid baby boom.
We can expect a spike in kids with autism and developmental disabilities coming up.

I can't even imagine just starting with a kid in my forties. I was starting to slow down at that age, eyes getting worse, aches and pains starting, slowing metabolism, needing more sleep, etc. Then, a screaming puking up half the night bundle of joy arrives? Pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 08:34 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,814,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
We can expect a spike in kids with autism and developmental disabilities coming up.
All the couples I know who have had children in their 40's, the kids are developmentally and cognitively on track. Yet, I know a number of couples of who had children in their 20's and 30's and they are delayed. I understand scientifically a women's eggs deteriorate once she hits her 30's but I'm just speaking from what I've seen first hand.

Quote:
I can't even imagine just starting with a kid in my forties. I was starting to slow down at that age, eyes getting worse, aches and pains starting, slowing metabolism, needing more sleep, etc. Then, a screaming puking up half the night bundle of joy arrives? Pass.
Some people are in better shape than others at that age, so this does not apply to all people in their 40's.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
All the couples I know who have had children in their 40's, the kids are developmentally and cognitively on track. Yet, I know a number of couples of who had children in their 20's and 30's and they are delayed. I understand scientifically a women's eggs deteriorate once she hits her 30's but I'm just speaking from what I've seen first hand.

Some people are in better shape than others at that age, so this does not apply to all people in their 40's.

But our bodies slow down with age, we just don't bounce back from injuries and such as we did in youth, and by fortysomething let's face it, it isn't uphill, it is middle age and physically more risky for mom and baby than in 20s&30s. I suspect it isn't just women's eggs that are not as robust as they were at 25 but men's sperm as well. I just wouldn't chance it even with good health, but many people do it now.

I'm fascinated that some people are still on the fence at that age. See it on dating sites a 46 year old woman has "not sure" in profile about wanting children. ??? Maybe they mean not sure if they want a man with kids but it could also mean pregnancy for them probably with IVF and all that. For a man it could mean paying child support into their retirement years.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:05 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think you are taking this too seriously. It was just a silly comment to get what he wanted.
I was viewing it from the OP's perspective. She was the one trying to avoid a pregnancy. I think her perspective deserves to be taken seriously, but as I said earlier, the comments about her partner's perspective were insightful.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:39 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,654,940 times
A family member had her second child at 38, she was classified as a "geriatric mother" and cautioned constantly by the hospital staff about her physical condition. And she was in great shape.

The child, now five, is a normal mischievous kid.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:28 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Quote:

Not all people age as quick as you have. I'm over 60 now and not feeling anywhere what you experienced at 40.

My son was 6 when I was 40 and I had no issues.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not all people age as quick as you have. I'm over 60 now and not feeling anywhere what you experienced at 40.

My son was 6 when I was 40 and I had no issues.
Ha, nice jab, not buying it. We ALL do, it is normal part of nature. Your eyes are not what they were at twenty, your ligaments, brain, organs, cells are not what they were- sorry, whether you "feel" it or not. That decline starts before 40, it's middle age. You are old now just like me and most others on these forums. If you feel the same at 40 50 60 as you did at 20 then you were unhealthy at 20.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
But our bodies slow down with age, we just don't bounce back from injuries and such as we did in youth, and by fortysomething let's face it, it isn't uphill, it is middle age and physically more risky for mom and baby than in 20s&30s. I suspect it isn't just women's eggs that are not as robust as they were at 25 but men's sperm as well. I just wouldn't chance it even with good health, but many people do it now.

I'm fascinated that some people are still on the fence at that age. See it on dating sites a 46 year old woman has "not sure" in profile about wanting children. ??? Maybe they mean not sure if they want a man with kids but it could also mean pregnancy for them probably with IVF and all that. For a man it could mean paying child support into their retirement years.
Once you hit your twenties you don't bounce back from injuries as quick as you do in your childhood and teen years. However if you keep yourself in fairly good shape you shouldn't have much of an issue bouncing back from small injury in your 40's, maybe in your 70's it can be a challenge. Yes, sperm and eggs age but if someone in their early 40's to mid 40's wants a child I see nothing wrong with trying.

I understand for you the thought having kids in your 40's in incomprehensible, but understand that is not the case for everyone else that age and that should not come as a shock.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ha, nice jab, not buying it. We ALL do, it is normal part of nature. Your eyes are not what they were at twenty, your ligaments, brain, organs, cells are not what they were- sorry, whether you "feel" it or not. That decline starts before 40, it's middle age. You are old now just like me and most others on these forums. If you feel the same at 40 50 60 as you did at 20 then you were unhealthy at 20.
Just an FYI I'm 40, my eyesight is exactly the same as it was when I was 20. I can't speak for everything else, but I honestly don't physically feel that different than I did in my 20's. Only thing is I may not be able to pull off going at clubbing at 11pm and coming home at 5am haha but that's ok because I didn't even enjoy doing that back then lol.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:05 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Quote:
Funny....my dentist had that thinking. Asked "What prescriptions are you on ?"...not IF I was on any.
I replied "none" and he asked "Are you sure ?"
I laughed and said...well I do take One A Day vitamins if you need to put something down.

Then he told me I was a rare one. So I can understand your disbelief.

Of course you slow down...but at 40 I had a 6 year old.
What age were your kids when you were 40 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships