Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 08:37 PM

639 posts, read 310,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0key View Post
OK, so with online dating chats. Here’s chat #1.

Me: Hello.

Her: Hi

Me: Well, thanks for the reply. Would you like to meet in-person sometime?

Her: I like to talk to someone before just meeting a random stranger. Do you not watch the news?

Me: Well, sure. This is what's awkward about these dating sites. Everyone's a stranger. I'm very open to any way of talking / meeting. If we met, it would be informal and somewhere in public with people around. Or maybe we could just do a phone call or video chat. But it's up to you. I'm very open to anything...My name is XYZ. I live and work in ABC. I grew up mostly in ASDF and was born in QWERTY, but only lived there until I was X before moving to FL. I think talking or meeting for real is a good way to screen out the computer/bot profiles on here.

<no reply>

Me (2 days later): Hello?

So what the heck? You’re on a dating website, right? Aren’t eventually gonna have to meet someone in-person? Like, WTF?
You need to dial it back. Just because she answered, does not mean she wants to go out on a date.

Hi means hi and nothing more. Doesn't mean marriage or anything else in your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 09:02 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,903,963 times
She said she’d Like to talk to someone for a while first, and you didn’t listen. Bye.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:19 PM

886 posts, read 481,324 times
ln your first post that last monster paragraph was wayyyy too much and way too long , for a start.

She'd given you nothing but you gave her your whole life. Just keep it down to a line or two to start unless she starts saying more.
But then before that it was just boom, straight out the gate - wanna meet.
l doubt many women would meet you that easily that soon , l found it exactly as she said, most wanted to just chat a little first , get to know you a bit, whether on the site or phoning after a few emails or whatever.
Funny , had a few women say within a few emails, can you just call me l hate this emailing crap and leave her number.
But whenever l'd said that so soon , she'd say oh l'd rather just chat a bit more first.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:40 PM

47 posts, read 28,618 times
So as a guy who has been using online dating sites for years I will say I like that you’re wanting to meet up with someone, that’s the point of online dating. But however, lately with online dating more people (females for sure) are more cautious with things and want to go slow with everything. I usually like going with the vibe of a conversation to determine when to ask about meeting up in person, usually wouldn’t happen in the first few messages but I will be damn if I wait days or a week to do so, plenty of times I have been burned and there’s people on those sites who just want to be your pen pal and that’s it.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:09 AM

318 posts, read 179,092 times
I won't meet up with a guy until we've chatted for a week. A couple days messaging, a couple days talking on phone, a few video messages then I'll meet in person. I'm not comfortable meeting strangers right away. Talking a while enables me to pick up on red flags. If a guy asks to meet up right away, I drop the convo.

Old 11-30-2022, 05:30 AM

6,887 posts, read 7,942,127 times
You need to start out with more than hello. Mention something specific in her profile that you liked. That will assure her that you actually read it and it will give her something to talk about.

I hate plain ole hellos.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:15 AM

841 posts, read 558,913 times
I would have probably ghosted you too if that is the way the convos went. It almost comes across as your intention is just a numbers game where you are trying to meet as many women as possible and not interested in trying to find someone special. I would only meet someone I hit it off with already - start with text, then the phone, then discuss meeting in person. It can happen quickly, within a day or two, but there has to be a decent amount of exchange before then.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:41 AM

318 posts, read 179,092 times
Going back to the ever-used fishing analogy...you need to set your bait well and you might have to be patient for a while. From the convos you showed us, it seems like you are trying to reel in the fish before it's bitten onto the hook.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:17 AM

11,835 posts, read 12,105,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
I would have probably ghosted you too if that is the way the convos went. It almost comes across as your intention is just a numbers game where you are trying to meet as many women as possible and not interested in trying to find someone special. I would only meet someone I hit it off with already - start with text, then the phone, then discuss meeting in person. It can happen quickly, within a day or two, but there has to be a decent amount of exchange before then.
The bolded is key. I’m not willing to just meet anyone for a date, especially not based on a hello.

Both of the examples the OP provided told these women everything they needed to know, to then not respond and likely block.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:31 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,088,699 times
You: Hello, I like your profile.
Her: Hello ...
You: you are beautiful, I like your pictures. And it seems like we have similar interests. Would be great to possibly meet you soon.
Her: yes, that sounds great.
You: Tell me a little more about yourself. I saw on your profile that you ...
Her: blablabla.

You: Cool, I would love to talk to you in person and see if we click. Here is my number. Maybe we can meet this weekend for a drink?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships