Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 12:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Why would a guy I’m FWB with tell me he saw my ex-bf with another woman?
Because that person is not a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 01:48 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Oy vey!

I'm an old hippie but I swear these under-30 folks have managed to invent romantic complication even we wouldn't have thunk up!

I think the whole "FWB" concept is highly dubious out of the gate. You're going to have an ongoing "situation" where you engage in the most intimate behavior humans can come up with, but you're just going to "remain friends" and when the other one finds someone they want to bond with intellectually, physically, spiritually and emotionally, you're just going to say "Wow, cool, good for you"??? Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:27 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'm an old hippie but I swear these under-30 folks have managed to invent romantic complication even we wouldn't have thunk up!
I’m just over 30 & I’ve never had a “FWB” thing. I’ve had casual relationships that weren’t headed for marriage in my early 20s but we never said “FWB” because most dating doesn’t lead to marriage anyway….especially at that age! We didn’t know it wasn’t going to go anywhere. Why plan to have sex with friends tho? I know it can happen spontaneously…an “oh ___” moment! BUT to stay “FWB” or be happy with that is super weird to me. I honestly thought it was something older ppl look for. Maybe they are jaded or have given up on finding something more. Younger ppl who aren’t committed just “hang out” tho or casually date.

But if they really just saw themselves as friends, they wouldn’t be asking why their friend is talking to them like any other friend…like the O.P. It doesn’t have to be analyzed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I think the whole "FWB" concept is highly dubious out of the gate. You're going to have an ongoing "situation" where you engage in the most intimate behavior humans can come up with, but you're just going to "remain friends" and when the other one finds someone they want to bond with intellectually, physically, spiritually and emotionally, you're just going to say "Wow, cool, good for you"??? Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

ITA. IMO, the O.P. shows how dubious it can be.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-23-2023 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-23-2023, 04:25 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Hah. OP is far from "under 30"

Old 02-26-2023, 04:28 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Huh?

Old 02-26-2023, 07:24 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
He probably did want to see your reaction, because maybe he's a little jealous. Usually in a FWB situation, one of the partners in emotionally connected to the other and that's why they allow themselves to be used like that. They don't want to let go and move on. They will take whatever they can get and this is his reaction to the emotional pain he is in, by being in this FWB with you.

You will have sex with him but that's it. He will never be anything more than a toy to be played with and discarded, until something better comes along. Engaging in a FWB is a tall tale sign of your own emotional issues, as you allow yourself to be used as well. You should stop this with your FWB because it's obviously hurting him and it's not fair for you to continue on as this will always, always end up bad.
Agree with all this. At some point based on subsequent posts he's developed feelings for you. It usually happen when one party is truly disengaged and only into the sex. Seems it usually happens with a man, but in this case it's with a woman.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:13 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Agree with all this. At some point based on subsequent posts he's developed feelings for you. It usually happen when one party is truly disengaged and only into the sex. Seems it usually happens with a man, but in this case it's with a woman.
I was thinking this too.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:42 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Oy vey!

Yeah. Honestly, I find the whole concept of "FWB" to be gross.

To the OP: If this is truly a FWB situation, who they saw at the store, who they talked to, who they saw your ex with, blah blah, why are you questioning motive? This isn't a serious relationship, so no need to act like they need to tell you everything, and no need to care what they say, Is that not the point of FWB? It's shallow and superficial, so who cares.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:30 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Right, and FWB is not only gross, it's awkward. I tried it once when I was very young. Highly awkward. Fortunately neither of us was invested. I would have felt bad if the guy had developed feelings for me. It was bad enough that he wanted to continue and I didn't. And unfortunately it did affect the friendship.

The folly of youth. But some people do it no matter what age they are. I guess sometimes it works out. *shrug*

Old 02-27-2023, 07:12 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
He just doesn't want to lose his weekend cook, cleaner, and blowjob/drinking buddy. I guess those are "feelings."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships