Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 PM

62 posts, read 147,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Ummm, homosexuality is not a disease that needs to be cured. Nor is it evil or wrong. I find it sad that your husband feels he must repent and get married to someone of the opposite sex, when he is clearly a gay man. Man, "they" really did a number on his head .
I did not say it was a disease. But the Bible does say that it is wrong to act on such feelings. We all have sinful urges that we must fight, whether straight or gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:07 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2007 View Post
I did not say it was a disease. But the Bible does say that it is wrong to act on such feelings. We all have sinful urges that we must fight, whether straight or gay.
The "Bible says" argument holds no water, you have to do better than that. And yes, I am a Christian. And being in a monogamous LTR with someone of the same sex is not about sinful urges, it's about commitment, and love. And isn't love what Jesus feels for all of us? I see nothing sinful about love, "whether straight or gay."

Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
He tells me every day how much better his life has been since he met me. Before he met me, he lived in a rathole apartment, wore clothes that were in rags, and drove a beater of a car. Yes, he loves having a better lifestyle,who wouldn't, but he also LOVES me.
Wow, no wonder he came back to you. Sorry but no matter how much you and him pray and how much he says he loves you. he will go back. it is just a matter of time.
How can you call yourself a Christian when you are so bigotted towards others. I am a Christian, Roman Catholic actually, and although I greatly believe in God and Jesus and what the bilble teachers, I am also very strongly against some of the Catholic teachings. In others words, I have my own mind.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Society is HORRIBLE to fat people and how do you think I felt when that skinny B##$h wanted so much attention from my husband???
Hmm... are these Christian thoughts? Seems like some of the Bible's teachings have been forgotten.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Society is HORRIBLE to fat people and how do you think I felt when that skinny B##$h wanted so much attention from my husband???
What the heck is this statement all about??? Are you a fat person? Are you threatened by skinny women? So is this some epic battle against homosexuality and skinny people?

I guess this was a double win for you then. Woohoo!

And if you are indeed in your fifties, then surfergirl2007, you should definitely be acting more maturely and acting your age than you're currently doing.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Huhhhhhhhh???????

Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Quote:
Do you follow all of the other stuff that the bible says in Leviticus?

You know, I heard an interesting program on NPR a few weeks ago. TED | TEDBlog: Help bring compassion back to religion: Karen Armstrong's TED Prize wish on TED.com

I reread the transcript of her speech because I wanted to read again some of the points I listened to. Here are some of the parts that I found most interesting:
1) "There's a famous story about the great rabbi Hillel, the contemporary of Jesus. A pagan came to him and offered to convert to Judaism if the rabbi could recite the whole of Jewish teaching while he stood on one leg. Hillel stood on one leg and said, "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor -- that is the Torah. The rest is commentary. Go and study it."

...."And "Go and study it" is what he meant. He said, in your exegesis, you must make it clear that every single verse of the Torah is a commentary, a gloss upon the Golden Rule. The great Rabbi Meir said that any interpretation of scripture which led to hatred and disdain or contempt of other people -- any people whatsoever -- was illegitimate. Saint Augustine made exactly the same point. "Scripture," he says, "teaches nothing but charity, and we must not leave an interpretation of scripture until we have found a compassionate interpretation of it." And this struggle to find compassion in some of these rather rebarbative texts is a good dress rehearsal for doing the same in ordinary life."

2) "There's also a great deal, I think, of religious illiteracy around. People seem to think -- now equate religious faith with believing things. As though that -- we call religious people often "believers," as though that were the main thing that they do. And very often, secondary goals get pushed into the first place in place of compassion -- the Golden Rule. Because the Golden Rule is difficult. I -- sometimes, when I'm speaking to congregations about compassion, I sometimes see a mutinous expression crossing some of their faces because religion -- a lot of religious people prefer to be right, rather than compassionate."

OK, I am getting a bit off topic here, but if you are both religious as you say, do you feel that you are living and treating each other compassionately? I really don't mean to pick on you, and in some ways, I doubt anything said on here will change your mind about the way you think.

I think it is a greater sin to not be compassionate.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Ah the illusion of a victory is sweet, enjoy it while it still feels real, 'cause this rodeo is far from over. Be well Surfergirl.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,798 times
Girl, you'd better check his history.

1) Start>My Recent Documents

2) go to the address bar. Click the down arrow to the right. See what webpages have been visited. Can also type in the beginning of an address and it should pop up what sites have been visited (a.k.a., www.a (broken link), www.b (broken link), www.c (broken link)).

3) look up temporary internet files.
In internet explorer, tools>internet options>settings (under browsing history)>view files
On firefox, it's easier, just hit "History"
Look for gay sites (obviously), and email address sites you didn't know he had (yahoo, etc).

even
3) http://www.e-spy-software.com/
Can also do a search for "cheating spy software"

Remember, gay men can love straight women. It's just that they want to have sex with men.

Just don't want you to get hurt. Or to spend 10 years with him and then figure out he's been sleeping with men.

Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if I were you, I'd be checking that history every couple of months.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
It sounds like you do have a caring relationship between the two of you, but trying to turn that into a marriage is doing you both a disservice and is a recipe for unhappiness. Friends can help each other in all sorts of ways.

God's will for us is joy and happiness. God does not make mistakes. God does not make junk. God makes us who we are to live our lives in dignity, in respect, in full acceptance of who we are, the beloved children of a loving caring Creator. If homosexuality were "bad" God would not make homosexuals. God does not make mistakes. Our job as humans is to love and accept ourselves as God made us, including some of the things you bring up: our economic status, our body size, our sexual orientation (which is not a "choice").

Gay people are not broken or sick or diseased, and we do not need to be fixed, cured, or saved. (I can't help but notice the theme of your marriage 'saving' him from sin and your finances 'saving' him and him 'saving' you from loneliness and unhappiness in your life). If God did not want homosexuals in the world, plain and simple we would not exist.

A gay man having sex with a woman, and even marrying a woman, and even praying to get rid of his gay-ness, is not going to turn him into a straight man. A rose is a beautiful rose, not a daisy, not a rhododendron. Do you stand out in your garden and yell at the roses to turn into tulips?

What you are going through is difficult and heart-wrenching and poignant. People posting here really do want your happiness, and also happiness for the man you are married to.

Also there are thousands of loving Christian gay congregations across the country. They are filled with loving, holy, prayerful, practicing Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships