Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 04:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times

Advertisements

So me and my girlfriend of almost 5 years are splitting up. I can't say I thought the relationship was great, I knew it was slipping, but honestly this pulled the rug out from under me.

Compounding the pain is that she has already moved on with someone else before she's even completely moved out of my house, which in my opinion is what precipitated the break up. She just came home one night and said "I have feelings for someone else, this is over"......

It's been a week and a half now and things aren't getting better. She's trying to be there for me emotionally but it isn't helping. I feel dead inside. Hopeless. Purposeless. Unmotivated. I burst out crying randomly. I've never experienced pain so intense in my life. I just want this to end. I feel anger, confusion, resentment, sadness, and depression I know I'm not special and far from the first to go through this, but that is little comfort, if any. This is my first serious breakup.

What has helped you in the past? Please share your advice, and your own experiences and stories. I feel like it might help.

Feel like my world is crumbling.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-02-2023 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads re: same relationship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 04:35 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Bourbon

Old 01-12-2023, 04:38 PM

7,908 posts, read 3,453,049 times
"She's trying to be there for me emotionally but it isn't helping." Hard no on that one man. Have some self respect.

Only 3 things get you past the pain. Time, booze and/or another girl. Maybe for GenZ folks video games can help too.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:39 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,808,438 times
I feel for you and I hate to say this but it will probably get worse before it gets better, but it will get better! Five years is a long time to be with someone, so you won't heal overnight. The best advice I can give is try to surround yourself with people who love and care about you, and just ride out the sadness and feel it. And as Sihana said, cut ties with your ex girlfriend you don't need her emotional support right now, that's only making things worse for you, and just making her feel less guilty. I'm also a firm believer in the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else

Old 01-12-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
Forget about the "she is trying to be there for me" part, cut ties, distance yourself, avoid seeing and talking to her.

Time will heal you, but you have to avoid having any sort of contact with her.
That's hard rn because she's not out of my house yet. Once she's gone I think that might be a good strategy for awhile, but she also has a child that I've basically raised as my own that we both still want me to have a relationship with.

Also, I just don't want to cut ties with her permanently. We've had a lot of problems, but she's basically my best friend and right now I can't imagine not having her in my life in some way.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
Prepare for a long, long, and probably never ending grieving process then.
Not saying you're wrong or that your advice isn't good.
Once she's moved out and I don't have to see her anymore things might get better. I plan on doing the no contact thing at that point to take some time for myself and reorient my life.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:52 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,808,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's hard rn because she's not out of my house yet. Once she's gone I think that might be a good strategy for awhile, but she also has a child that I've basically raised as my own that we both still want me to have a relationship with.
When is she planning to move out? She should be out by next month at the latest, she knew she was breaking up with you before you did so she's had time to figure out where she's going. The child does make things more complicated, but unless your this child's father (adopted or biological) you're going to have to cut ties with the child a well, as hard as it may be. You have to think of yourself here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Also, I just don't want to cut ties with her permanently. We've had a lot of problems, but she's basically my best friend and right now I can't imagine not having her in my life in some way.
You have to get out of this mindset, she's no longer your best friend. People manage to divorce their best friends after 20+ years of marriage and somehow they come out of it ok, and so will you. Go hang out with your buddies and find a new best friend.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
When is she planning to move out? She should be out by next month at the latest, she knew she was breaking up with you before you did so she's had time to figure out where she's going. The child does make things more complicated, but unless your this child's father (adopted or biological) you're going to have to cut ties with the child a well, as hard as it may be. You have to think of yourself here.

You have to get out of this mindset, she's no longer your best friend. People manage to divorce their best friends after 20+ years of marriage and somehow they come out of it ok, and so will you. Go hang out with your buddies and find a new best friend.
She should be gone by the end of next week or so and frankly I'm freaking out about how I'll handle that as well. I know it needs to happen. That's when the real healing can start, but that first night or two.... it's gonna be rough.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:50 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,850,706 times
It will probably be better when she is out of the house and you aren't having to see her and talk to her. She's the last person you should be trying to get emotional support from.

And consider.... she's been cheating on you. You should be glad she's leaving. If you can I would suggest going to a motel or a friend's house or relative's house until she is moved out. Then....change the locks. It is unfortunate if you are also attached to the child, but I suggest that you tell her you need a clean break. Don't be the available babysitter so she and her new man can go off to do childfree things.

Give yourself some time to grieve the relationship without any contact from her. Be glad you weren't married and having to deal with lawyers and all that entails.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:05 PM

2,964 posts, read 1,638,645 times
You probably won't want to hear this but distracting yourself with activities really does help.

The worst will be to hide away at home and brood. Resist the temptation to withdraw.

Get out there and engage in activities that will take your mind off the breakup, even for a little while.

Fresh air and physical activity is helpful, even if it's just walking through your neighborhood.

Call friends, go to social gatherings.

I found talking it out with a therapist with the specific goal of moving passed the heart ache very helpful. It was through the county mental health services where I Iived, very affordable.

Give yourself time to mourn the end of the relationship too. Five years is a good amount of time. And there's a child you're close to in the relationship as well. Makes it doubly tough.

Your contact with your ex from here out is really up to you. Whether you want to rip the band aid off quick and clean or peal it off an inch at a time.

Almost everyone has gone through a painful breakup. As a survivor, believe me, you will come out on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships