Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times

Advertisements

That's marriage. Personally I don't recommend marriage or long term relationships until you're at least 40,maybe later if you're just not ready to settle down. Seems human nature is variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I agree with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Yup, I have little sympathy for those -- male or female-- who ignore nice people in order to start up relationships with bad people. To me, these folks get what they deserve: misery and failure.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's marriage. Personally I don't recommend marriage or long term relationships until you're at least 40,maybe later if you're just not ready to settle down. Seems human nature is variety.
Personally, I think its unnatural to wait that long and I heartily disagree that human nature dictates variety. I agree that the drive is there, but we aren't exactly dogs. Examination of cultures that are essentially unchanged from pre-history will reveal that the concept and ritual of forming a stable, permanent family unit is commonplace, if not uniform. It seems to me that human nature is actually to grow up with and learn from two parents until you are ready to strike out on your own.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Personally, I think its unnatural to wait that long and I heartily disagree that human nature dictates variety. Examination of cultures reveal that the concept and ritual of forming a stable, permanent family unit is commonplace. It seems to me that human nature is actually to grow up with and learn from two parents until you are ready to strike out on your own.
I agree with this post that it is natural to develop long term stable relationship. To deal with problems by avoiding relationship or marriage altogether is no solution at all. Our task is to learn how to do healthy stable relationship.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
Quote:
Yup, I have little sympathy for those -- male or female-- who ignore nice people in order to start up relationships with bad people. To me, these folks get what they deserve: misery and failure.
Man you guys are acidic today!!! I don't think they *know* that they are bad people. They are just attracted to certain guys and aren't sure why (hint: not that I buy all that stuff, but most of the time you'll find that the father was also a jerk).

I personally have a "no slick" policy. No guys with nice belts, product in hair, who always say the right thing. I want a real, honest, no games sweetheart who I can trust.

As for the OP's situation, I feel for ya. That is really hard especially with kids involved. Try couples counseling. Make it clear that his behavior is unacceptable and he'd better stop. Tell him that you are unhappy and he should work on fixing that situation. Sometimes these guys get a little too comfortable and start to think that you are there for them and they don't have to contribute to the marriage and household. Make sure he knows that the marriage is in jeopardy (because it is).

Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
That's pretty harsh and not at all helpful. It's basically saying 'you deserve what you get' and 'you made your bed now lie in it' It is a simplistic view and also offensive.No one sets out to have crappy relationships, so please realize how offensive the judgment and criticism and holier-than-thou attitudes are. The opening post was not about bashing the current husband, it was someone recognizing and taking responsibility for her own part in relationship patterns and, from what I heard, seeking to make changes herself.
Fair enough. I concede I was a little harsh. But while it is true that no one sets out to have crappy relationships, too many seem to engage in behavior and make choices that a reasonable person could see would set themselves up for failure. Making a lifelong decision about marriage while parked at a stoplight? Choosing a mate because they're cocky? Passing over the nice guy to go out with the douche bag? C'mon, gimme a break! This isn't just a one-up mistake (which we all make in life). It's a pattern of deeply flawed, self-destructive judgment. And by all appearances it is far too common.

Yes, we are deeply influenced by our parents and familes. But for pete's sake we are not doomed to repeat their sins and failures. Indeed, it seems to me that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would consciously try to NOT make the same mistakes (especially the big ones) that their parents did.

The "why are people attracted to jerks" question has been thoroughly discussed in multiple threads. To me, the bottom line is that too many people value the wrong things in life: they value image over substance; appearance over content; they think about today and not tomorrow. It all goes back to judgment.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
I personally have a "no slick" policy. No guys with nice belts, product in hair, who always say the right thing.
That'd be the yuppies
Heck you mean there's actually women out there that can see past all that?

Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM

I don't think marriages work out either until you've biologically been worn down, matured, and read up/studied on the subject of marriage and family. I'd guess late 30s or 40s for that to happen too.

Some people are just NOT relationship type people. Others are. Marriage isn't for everyone. Long term relationships arn't for everyone.

I'm not willing to put up with selfish BS nonsense from the guys who've wanted to be in relationships with me, so I guess you can say I'm not really into "Contemporary" relationships because you have to be willing to put up with BS that makes no sense. Do I want to experiment with a variety? No not really. One type of handsome guy with a great persona is good enough for me. Why would I need variety? That is just so selfish and greedy.

Quote:

Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM

I agree with you and do not think you came across as harsh. There are some really dumb people out there that do not know the first thing about relationships even when they are surrounded by good , wise, and caring people and advisors...it is strange.

Quote:
Fair enough. I concede I was a little harsh. But while it is true that no one sets out to have crappy relationships, too many seem to engage in behavior and make choices that a reasonable person could see would set themselves up for failure. Making a lifelong decision about marriage while parked at a stoplight? Choosing a mate because they're cocky? Passing over the nice guy to go out with the douche bag? C'mon, gimme a break! This isn't just a one-up mistake (which we all make in life). It's a pattern of deeply flawed, self-destructive judgment. And by all appearances it is far too common.

Yes, we are deeply influenced by our parents and familes. But for pete's sake we are not doomed to repeat their sins and failures. Indeed, it seems to me that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would consciously try to NOT make the same mistakes (especially the big ones) that their parents did.

The "why are people attracted to jerks" question has been thoroughly discussed in multiple threads. To me, the bottom line is that too many people value the wrong things in life: they value image over substance; appearance over content; they think about today and not tomorrow. It all goes back to judgment.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
Quote:
That'd be the yuppies
Heck you mean there's actually women out there that can see past all that?
Oh yes, but not without some trial and error.

Ugh, as soon as I see the over-groomed, new pressed shirt, flirty thing - barf. Run for the hills, ladies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships