Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 01:03 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is because until the early 20th century, life expectancy was in the 40s.
If you are saying people commonly died in their 40s and could not expect to live much beyond that, you're wrong.

By the 1800s, people who survived early childhood expected to live well into their '60s. You are confusing life expectancy with life span.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 01:36 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If you are saying people commonly died in their 40s and could not expect to live much beyond that, you're wrong.

By the 1800s, people who survived early childhood expected to live well into their '60s. You are confusing life expectancy with life span.
That’s not what I am saying. What I’m saying is that 1) infant and maternal mortality was higher, 2) childhood mortality was higher, and 3) you normally wanted to have a son to take over a family business/activity. To actually have said son, you needed to start having kids early and might need to have a lot of them to have that one boy who would live. If you start having kids at 30, that’s going to be hard.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:20 PM

423 posts, read 267,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I hope that plan works out for you…but you don’t know if or when your kids will have kids anyway. My husband & I are due with our 1st on Dec. 3rd. He’s older than me…in his 40s. I can’t think that far ahead, but I would never want to assume anything or put that pressure on our child. Or..plan a decision about a baby around when that child would have kids of their own, if they have kids. That’s their decision. My husband & I made our decision AND we couldn’t be happier, even tho he’s older than me. Whether or not we become grandparents some day isn’t up to us & we don’t have a crystal ball. You never know.

Thank you.

Sure, that makes sense in your present situation. My kids are all pre-teens-college age, and all have hit puberty. Most of them have consistently indicated they plan to marry and have kids. I’m pretty sure in our case, it would be extremely unlikely that we have zero grandkids.

Old 05-04-2023, 05:32 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. Plenty of people with kids end up in nursing homes. Lots of people can't be full-time caregivers to an elderly parent in physical or mental decline, even when there's a loving, functional relationship. And if there's not a functional relationship, don't expect miracles.
Yeah.

At the end of the day it's about preference and where life decides it wants to take you. Each side has "advantages and disadvantages" but neither choice is inherently better than the other, not in a general sense. Life can take all types of different twists and turns. A lot of the elderly people who come through at the hospital I worked at had children, but majority of them were in nursing homes/assisted living. Go figure.

Old 05-05-2023, 01:17 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A New Day View Post
Sure, that makes sense in your present situation. My kids are all pre-teens-college age, and all have hit puberty. Most of them have consistently indicated they plan to marry and have kids. I’m pretty sure in our case, it would be extremely unlikely that we have zero grandkids.

You still never know where life can take you & with who tho. My parents probably thought the same thing but because my husband is a little older, we thought about it for awhile. We’ve been married for 2 yrs. I’m pregnant now after a couple of months of trying, but if it had gone a year, we probably would have put the idea aside. And..my sister isn’t married yet. BUT, my parents are super excited with it being their 1st. My mom wants to help plan the nursery & says I should start looking into good preschools! So…I get it, as long as there’s no pressure. It’s funny because we got a little from my husband’s sister in law because she knows how good he is with his nieces & nephew. They love seeing him..AND, after he gave his sweet little fluff of a cat to them, they like giving him an update on how she is.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:04 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That’s not what I am saying. What I’m saying is that 1) infant and maternal mortality was higher, 2) childhood mortality was higher, and 3) you normally wanted to have a son to take over a family business/activity. To actually have said son, you needed to start having kids early and might need to have a lot of them to have that one boy who would live. If you start having kids at 30, that’s going to be hard.
Well yes, I've been researching my own family history, and I'm only 3 generations removed from farmers and yes following the paper trail many of my ancestors had as many as 8 - 12 kids only to have 3 or 4 reach adulthood and these were people that started their families at 13 - 17 years old, my 2nd great grandfather was given land by his father at 16 unfortunately at 20 he was off to fight in WW1 which is why I have 78 genetic matches(2nd cousins) in the UK who had no idea they had African DNA lol .

Old 05-05-2023, 06:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Unfortunately these days marrying young subjects you to all the potential hazards/life mistakes your young spouse might face & you get to clean up the mess.

IMO long engagements are the way to go.

I've worked with waitresses who would gush all day about how "in love" they were with Beaux of the Year- most of the time it didn't work out, but they were better off just engaged and not exposing their credit rating to the unpredictability of some guy.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:08 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Unfortunately these days marrying young subjects you to all the potential hazards/life mistakes your young spouse might face & you get to clean up the mess.

IMO long engagements are the way to go.

I've worked with waitresses who would gush all day about how "in love" they were with Beaux of the Year- most of the time it didn't work out, but they were better off just engaged and not exposing their credit rating to the unpredictability of some guy.
I've always thought long engagements were stupid. Either you are committed or you aren't. Don't get engaged until you are ready to get married. And preferably don't get engaged before 25 or later.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:32 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
When I tell people how long I have been married, they always want to know how old I am because "there is no way I am that old." LOL

Old 07-27-2023, 08:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,091 times
Advantages: Growing up together, having kids younger, and you build a life together and figure things out

Disadvantages: You don’t really know who you are or what you want when your young . I don’t think you really figure that out until your 30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships