Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 07:40 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times

Advertisements

Would I marry my clone? Nope, I'm low energy and introverted. I need my opposite to keep me moving and give me someone to listen to.

Do I think I'm marriage material? Yes. I have lots of good skills. I'm patient and kind, I don't get angry easily, I'm not picky or critical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2023, 09:04 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
I'm a very good match for (the opposite sex version of) myself. However, I'm sure I could do better.

And, I did do better! A 9 to my 7, also very intelligent, loving, loyal, supportive, and with a sex drive that actually matches mine.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:41 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
BLAHAHAHAHAHAHEEHAW!

I suggest you watch the Red Dwarf episode Me Squared for a taste of how that would turn out.
This is why I love you, scribbles.

Platonically of course.

To the question of the OP... It depends what is meant exactly by the question. When I was dating, before I remarried, I realized that I would not date me. What I meant by that then, was that I wouldn't date someone who had the issues and problems that I was dealing with at that time. But that is a circular situation, because the main reason that I would not have dated someone who, for instance...

...was raising young teen kids,
...was in the process of separating from a dangerous ex, and even still lived in his house,
...had their finances in a huge mess from the prior year of chaos,
...was a smoker,

...is because of the fact that those were problems that I had, and was trying to deal with. And the last thing that I needed or wanted, was someone else bringing those same problems into the same scene and multiplying them, so that I had to not only manage my own burdens but theirs as well.

Of course, everyone has struggles. The man I married had struggles of his own, that some women might have considered to be deal breakers, and if one asked him if he would date himself or consider himself to be a hot commodity in the dating scene, he would have replied in the strong negative. Mainly on the basis of "attractiveness." But I could find him attractive, and he could overlook my challenges that I was juggling in life.

So that whole, "if you would not marry yourself why would anyone else marry you?" notion just doesn't really fly. They would, precisely because they are NOT you, and there are different things that carry more weight in the decisions of different people.

Husband was thrilled to find me because we share a lot of interests (including the nerdy stuff - Scribbles, I had to introduce him to Red Dwarf though, I've got all the DVDs, but he got me into Farscape)... And because I had my tubes tied and I was physically attractive to him, younger but not SO much younger as to seem like a child to him or anything. (We were 30s/50s.) So with the good things that mattered to him in place, and my stated commitment to "stow my own baggage" and not make my problems his problems... I, on the other hand, would not trust any potential partner to keep their life problems from becoming mine to deal with.

Now if the OP's question was along the lines of the weird thing someone mentioned here of "marrying yourself" like...just...what, being alone but having some kind of a ceremony? Why a ceremony, that seems totally weird? Someone just had some sort of fetishized dream of the dress and cake and being Princess for a Day or something I suppose. Not my thing. I could get being happily single, like, making yourself your #1 priority and being committed to yourself. I've known a lot of divorced women who pretty much were like, "yeah I don't think I need a partner in my life, I'm good." But you don't need to waste money on a wedding event to do that. You can just throw a dress up party with cake whenever you feel like it for any reason you want, if you have the money to blow on that. Kind of a benefit of being single and child free, no? Not something the women I am thinking of would do, though...they tend to be quiet introverts, happy at home with their houseplants and dogs and Netflix and wine.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:59 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
By the way, if you criticize your mate/spouse's driving, you may not be the perfect catch...
If anyone is going to drive and it scares the crap out of you it's quite difficult to just sit there with your mouth closed.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:02 PM

737 posts, read 409,146 times
no!!! I have been a bad husband on so many levels which is why my wife is a keeper.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:15 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I would for sure. I find myself entertaining and I really enjoy my own company. Of course I would change a few t things. If you can't understand this question, don't feel guilty. about not responding. I heard this question in a dating show and found the question both profound and meaningful. If I wouldn't marry myself why would anyone else? The answer to my own question is that I have been married for 50 years, so I did find someone else who appreciates/appreciated me.
While the funny answer is, yes, I'm awesome. I think it is an important thing to be able to actually love oneself. Of course there are things about me I would change. Some are superficial physical things, others are some of my own admitted baggage. But overall I think I am a great partner and best friend to my wife. I love and support her, we do a lot of fun things together, and we laugh all the time. Overall, I like myself and I am glad my amazing wife likes me too.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:36 PM

741 posts, read 441,406 times
I am way out of my league and wouldn't be caught dead with myself.

I have standards, you know.

Old 05-08-2023, 02:37 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,893,854 times
I'd have ton get breast implants.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:04 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
A like minded me would NEVER legally marry anyone so I’d have to say nope.

Old 05-08-2023, 04:06 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
A female version of me would be VERY like my late Mom, who I loved dearly - as my mom, OK - but a relationship with a female version of me would feel rather Oedipal, if you get my drift.

And from a practical point of view, as noted in previous posts, yeah, I would rather partner up with someone with similar overall interests but with complimentary strong skill/ability/knowledge rather than just duplicate my own. Someone with for example strong accounting and business skills like Sonic - I'm not so great with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships