Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:40 AM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I do not know anyone who thinks its bad to have a preference like this. I've literally never heard of this. While my wife and I can do the "dressed to the nines" when we want to, we pretty much live in jeans and sweats. I find very few women are insta models.
It must be a regional thing I live in the Dallas area so we have alot of the "The bigger the hair the closer to god" and the "lets put our makeup on with a spackle "types here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Move to the West Coast. Seattle, parts of the Bay Area, much of northern California, many coastal towns, Seattle, Bellingham, Olympia, many other places.
That is one thing I loved about Seattle you had a lot of down to earth people there you could walk into a coffee shop looking homeless and leave with the hottest girl there, and Neo-Hippy women are one of the types I find attractive and they were in abundance. as opposed to where I live now where there are way too many "keepin up with the Joneses" types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 11:00 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
It must be a regional thing I live in the Dallas area so we have alot of the "The bigger the hair the closer to god" and the "lets put our makeup on with a spackle "types here

That is one thing I loved about Seattle you had a lot of down to earth people there you could walk into a coffee shop looking homeless and leave with the hottest girl there, and Neo-Hippy women are one of the types I find attractive and they were in abundance. as opposed to where I live now where there are way too many "keepin up with the Joneses" types.
OK, so you're well aware that there are regional differences. This raises the question: why are you still in Dallas, since you know you don't fit in? Would relocating be an option for you? If you couldn't begin to be able to afford the Greater Seattle Area or the Bay Area, would your profession or trade work in Humboldt County, CA, or Port Townsend, WA (Olympic Peninsula), or Eugene, OR, Bellingham WA (beware rising rents/RE, but still--far cheaper than Seattle)?

Old 05-24-2023, 11:32 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
I'm with the OP. When interacting with people I'd prefer to see them in a real light, not a false, carefully planned deception minimizing weaknesses and highlighting strengths.

But I guess it's about them, sometimes it actually seems like they are like men in drag, a total charade! The minority of women who DON'T do this get my respect and I am much more likely to be attracted to them because they are not pretending and hiding. Plus they are more kissable when not covered in makeup, more huggable when not covered with runway ready clothing.

It also shows vanity which I think is a negative attribute. Even some dude with tattoos, carefully chosen T-shirt, strategically ripped jeans, and purposely unkempt hair is vain. I think there is an abundance of casually dressed men and women these days who are extremely vain. The casualness is false, they are showing off in some way. Cringe but common.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm with the OP. When interacting with people I'd prefer to see them in a real light, not a false, carefully planned deception minimizing weaknesses and highlighting strengths.

But I guess it's about them, sometimes it actually seems like they are like men in drag, a total charade! The minority of women who DON'T do this get my respect and I am much more likely to be attracted to them because they are not pretending and hiding. Plus they are more kissable when not covered in makeup, more huggable when not covered with runway ready clothing.

It also shows vanity which I think is a negative attribute. Even some dude with tattoos, carefully chosen T-shirt, strategically ripped jeans, and purposely unkempt hair is vain. I think there is an abundance of casually dressed men and women these days who are extremely vain. The casualness is false, they are showing off in some way. Cringe but common.
So, those men and women can't win? If they dress well, they're vain, and if they dress casually, they're vain and faking their casualness?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-24-2023 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 12:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, so you're well aware that there are regional differences. This raises the question: why are you still in Dallas, since you know you don't fit in? Would relocating be an option for you? If you couldn't begin to be able to afford the Greater Seattle Area or the Bay Area, would your profession or trade work in Humboldt County, CA, or Port Townsend, WA (Olympic Peninsula), or Eugene, OR, Bellingham WA (beware rising rents/RE, but still--far cheaper than Seattle)?
I'm actually in Fort Worth the sister city of Dallas, The downside of living in a city with a "low cost of living" is you can't sell your house for enough to buy another house outright somewhere else, though if my property taxes keep going up I'm thinking about saying screw it, sell my house and move into my camper trailer(all I need is space for a bed and my music studio/office as I have a WFH job) . Then technically I could live anywhere lol.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:21 PM

639 posts, read 377,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I've never needed to wear a suit and tie in my life, I've never even owned one.
Not something to be proud of that there has never been a wedding, professional interview or meeting, good restaurant, or funeral in your life.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
I'm actually in Fort Worth the sister city of Dallas, The downside of living in a city with a "low cost of living" is you can't sell your house for enough to buy another house outright somewhere else, though if my property taxes keep going up I'm thinking about saying screw it, sell my house and move into my camper trailer(all I need is space for a bed and my music studio/office as I have a WFH job) . Then technically I could live anywhere lol.

Sounds kinda cool. And if you can fit into a camper trailer, you could fit into a more spacious studio apt., at least. A solid roof and 4 walls have their advantages. Such a plan could be worth exploring. There are studio-cottages and 1-br. homes in Port Townsend, and probably in Humboldt, for rent at least, and you might find some up for sale now and then.

Just brainstorming.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:27 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
Remember shaving was something pros* did to not catch lice from their customers.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:41 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

See now Chili...THIS is why women get a little bit up in arms on the subject. There's always SOMEONE who has to start with the derrogatory remarks. It's not enough to just like what you like, and let others live their lives...there's always SOMEONE who has to work in a dig.

So...me wearing makeup is like a man in drag and I'm vain, and Back to NE is rude. Now we know.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:59 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
See now Chili...THIS is why women get a little bit up in arms on the subject. There's always SOMEONE who has to start with the derrogatory remarks. It's not enough to just like what you like, and let others live their lives...there's always SOMEONE who has to work in a dig.

So...me wearing makeup is like a man in drag and I'm vain, and Back to NE is rude. Now we know.
That's the agenda I referenced obliquely in my earlier comment. And it gives the OP plausible deniability that the thread he started knowing full well it would go there, went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships