Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 05:33 PM

880 posts, read 460,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
They probably have a great sex life.

We have great everything. Typically run of their feet and mentally/time and everything else running ragged couples would not believe the way we live and what we get up to.
They live like they do and wait all yr for a pissy few wks off where it's all suppose to happen and then they're back to it all over again. l know some people like the stimulation of that sort of a life buttt there are many too where life is just running them instead of them running life
l have plenty of free time that's the way l like it my business only takes part time work and l need a woman that likes to live that way too . We mighn't have as much as many couples or as flasher this or thats but we couldn't care less we have what we need and are far richer than most only dream of in all the things that truly count to us instead.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why would an educated woman have to go on public assistance. Surly that degree is worth something even if you are out of the workforce for a while you can do better than public assistance.
One would hope. But a 20-year-old degree and no work experience isn't going to get you better than minimum wage, which isn't enough to support more than one person. Hence the food stamps and housing assistance.

I just think it's a crime to waste a college education like that. It's a personal pet peeve of mine.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:38 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I wonder why people don't see home making is a valuable job and this is pretty universal. It's far more important if there's kids involved, but kids grow up. I think if all your wife or girlfriend did while you were at work was eat bon bons and watch soap operas and you had to do the laundry and you had to cook dinner and you had to clean up the house and that's not a homemaker. If you go home and your house is clean your clothes are clean and your food is prepared and if you have any of your kids are taken care of that's probably a lot more valuable to you than anything else a home spouse does.

I don't understand why this is so looked down upon.

If a family can manage it they should try
I think it's because a working parent or a working single can--and has to--do all of those household chores also, while having a full-time job. So really, it's not that valuable a skill since everyone shares it.

Homemaking (without kids) is just a part-time job that doesn't pay.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:01 PM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
We have great everything. Typically run of their feet and mentally/time and everything else running ragged couples would not believe the way we live and what we get up to.
They live like they do and wait all yr for a pissy few wks off where it's all suppose to happen and then they're back to it all over again. l know some people like the stimulation of that sort of a life buttt there are many too where life is just running them instead of them running life
l have plenty of free time that's the way l like it my business only takes part time work and l need a woman that likes to live that way too . We mighn't have as much as many couples or as flasher this or thats but we couldn't care less we have what we need and are far richer than most only dream of in all the things that truly count to us instead.
Yes, any man would be blessed to have a good woman all to himself, lol. Congrats.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:05 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,223,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think it's because a working parent or a working single can--and has to--do all of those household chores also, while having a full-time job. So really, it's not that valuable a skill since everyone shares it.
but if you have a stay-at-home spouse that does those things for you that's not better
Quote:
Homemaking (without kids) is just a part-time job that doesn't pay.
Well it does though because you get supported by your partner that works you don't have to work to support yourself. If your partner works enough to support the two of you what do you think it is that goes to pay you for the rent in the food and the clothing in the water bill and all of that stuff?

I supported my partner when he didn't work I did that with money so yeah it pays it's just there's no W-2

This transactional way of looking at relationships is really messed up.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:49 AM

674 posts, read 334,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Totally missed the point!
The OP clearly states:
I saw that part; what I forgot to say in my post was that I don't know of any childless/childfree women, married or not, who stay home all day and let a man take care of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I wonder why people don't see home making is a valuable job and this is pretty universal. It's far more important if there's kids involved, but kids grow up. I think if all your wife or girlfriend did while you were at work was eat bon bons and watch soap operas and you had to do the laundry and you had to cook dinner and you had to clean up the house and that's not a homemaker. If you go home and your house is clean your clothes are clean and your food is prepared and if you have any of your kids are taken care of that's probably a lot more valuable to you than anything else a home spouse does.

I don't understand why this is so looked down upon.

If a family can manage it they should try
I don't look down on homemakers but you look down on women who are anything other than a homemaker.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:51 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
There is a thing where woman who are girlfriends or wives with no kids stay at home and I just do not understand this. It is one thing if you have kids but if I would never want to be with a woman who has no kids and just wanted to stay at home. If a man does this we call him him lazy, unmotivated but there is a double standard when it comes to woman. If it just you two how long does it really take to do laundry or clean where you live? Also what if you boyfriend/husband divorces you or dies what are you gonna do it is not a good long term situation.
There was a time that this was very common and "normal". In fact, if the wife worked out of necessity it was considered a failure for the husband to provide for the family sufficiently. It was common in the generations prior to the baby boomer generation. Women proved themselves capable in the workforce during the war effort. They picked up factory jobs as the men were sent to fight. This among many factors changed society's perception on family (and women's role in it) forever. Times were different and today it is far more common to have a household that is dual income with both parents working.

I do still know a few couples in that the husband is the only one employed and the wife is staying at home. This is usually driven by decisions around children. I have one coworker who has been happily married for a long time and his wife has always been stay-at-home; they also don't have any children. My take from our lunchtime discussions is that this was what they both mutually wanted... thus it works for them. My cousin is the same although his wife works part-time.

My take (and this is a generality) is that women seek love and security in a relationship. Men seek purpose, respect, and recognition for their contributions and hard work.

What it comes down to is that the couple authors what the relationship and marriage look like; how it works for them. It doesn't really matter what everyone else thinks. It really is toxic if they start measuring each other within that relationship; keeping score so to speak. If both are happy with the arrangement, then that's fine; doesn't matter whether or not anyone thinks doing housekeeping is harder or easier work than the husband's 9-5. All that matters is that both are contributing in the manner that is expected between them.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:56 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Each couple can do what works for them.
In the vast majority of cases, that means the man is the main breadwinner of the family and the woman does the domestic work.

Even women who work for money are heavily concentrated in jobs like daycare worker, kindergarten teacher, dietician, administrative assistant, hairdresser, etc.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:59 AM

19,716 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
I saw that part; what I forgot to say in my post was that I don't know of any childless/childfree women, married or not, who stay home all day and let a man take care of them.

I don't look down on homemakers but you look down on women who are anything other than a homemaker.
I don't get that impression from Hankrigby @ all....

It appears to me the animosity in this thread is coming mostly from working mothers, single or otherwise, who resent the idea of a man being both willing and able to provide this lifestyle for someone else that wasn't offered or afforded to them.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:01 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the vast majority of cases, that means the man is the main breadwinner of the family and the woman does the domestic work.

Even women who work for money are heavily concentrated in jobs like daycare worker, kindergarten teacher, dietician, administrative assistant, etc.
What do those jobs have to do with anything? Being a dietician or kindergarten teacher isn't the same thing as preparing meals or caring for one's own children in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships